Days of Our Lives - NEWS ROOM

Beemer and Madison to Exit From Days

Friday, January 25 2008

Martha Madison & Brandon Beemer (Credit: Paul Drinkwater)
    ((Update, "Shelle" will last air March 24th, our contacts at the show tell us.))

Many fans have been shocked to learn that one of DOOL's best loved couples, Shawn and Belle Brady, are leaving the show. Despite the recent departure of a few cast members and an influx of new ones, there weren't many hints leading up to now that Salem's troubled young couple was heading for story oblivion. The news even seemed to take Martha Madison (Belle Brady) and Brandon Beemer (Shawn Brady) off-guard.

Martha issued this statement on her official website:

"I'm sorry/sad to say that we have, in fact, been released from our contracts. It was explained to us on Friday that this was a storyline dictated move by the writers, and that, at this time, we were free to move on to other work. We have both been incredibly grateful for the time that we've had there, and we will still be taping for the next few weeks.

I want to thank you all for all of your support over the years. However, I'm a firm believer that where one door closes, another will open. I think I can speak for Brandon too when I say that we are excited about what lies ahead in our lives and careers."

After spending years watching the couple grow up on-screen through the pitfalls of high school romance, through matrimonial messes, affairs and struggling to take care of their young daughter Claire, outraged fans have already started a campaign to combat the departure of the couple. If you wish to voice your support, please visit saveshelle.shawn-belle.net to let your protest be heard.

Many people are also wondering what storyline development would dictate the disappearance of the couple. Of course, the departure opens up all sorts of questions. Is Claire going with them; does this have anything to do with C.B. DiMera and what will befall Philip and Chloe, both of whose storylines are so firmly entwined with Shawn and Belle's? There aren't any answers right now. Some fans even wonder if this is a maneuver to bring back the former actors who played the characters but there is no indication that this is the case. Beemer and Madison will continue shooting for several more weeks, which should allow their characters to continue appearing on-screen for a little longer than that. We will, of course, keep you updated on any further developments with this story.

Here at Soaps.com, we've been saddened by this news as well. It comes at a difficult time for the show and just as the fabulous foursome from Salem High were re-grouping. Whatever the reasons for this change, we extend our thanks to Martha Madison and Brandon Beemer for their hard work on-screen and for the pleasure they have given viewers with their portrayals. They'll be sincerely missed and we wish them all the best in their future endeavors.

Posted by gapeach76 at Friday, January 25 2008 05:57 AM

Martha and Brandon did a great job given they were given rotten story lines. I am one shelle fan that will be sorry to see them go. However, I am looking forward to seeing / hearing / reading how they write the family off. I can't imagine them writing Belle & Shawn off and leaving Claire on the show. Let Shelle & Claire sail off into the sunset ala Bo, Hope & Shawn-D.

Posted by sharonschaller at Friday, January 25 2008 10:49 AM

THIS IS SO NOT CALLED FOR. I AM VERY VERY UPSET WITH THE WRITERS, HOW COULD YOU LET THEM GO. I DO NOT AGREE WITH THIS AT ALL. THIS BETTER NOT HAPPEN!!!!!!! THE RATINGS WILL FALL.

Posted by sharonschaller at Friday, January 25 2008 10:50 AM

THIS IS WRONG!!!!!

Posted by glo926 at Friday, January 25 2008 10:55 AM

if the writers are going to let them, please let them go off in style. Let belle and shawn reunite and make phillip look like a fool. They should get rid of phillip. I donot like his part at all. I wish the two the best, they will do good whatever they do.

Posted by Chrissi_Soaps.com at Friday, January 25 2008 01:02 PM

sharonschaller - We hear ya. We know it sucks but when you post, please don't use your caps lock. It looks like you're yelling at us!

They're gone in March, so we will be hoping for a good sendoff at least.

Posted by judyralph at Friday, January 25 2008 01:45 PM

Big Mistake Big Mistake, I am not happy,you are getting rid of the wrong people.Get rid of Phil, EJ. I am really upset. The ratings will drop.

Posted by yevette at Friday, January 25 2008 02:02 PM

I agree with glo926. Let them go out in style. At least let them get back together and leave as a family.

Posted by Carjack lives on at Friday, January 25 2008 03:05 PM

Can't say I am sorry to see Belle go. I don't know where they took her haracter after Kristen Storms left but I did not like her one bit, and I wasn't a fan of MArtha Madison. She just WASN'T Belle. Brandon Beemer, I will be sorry to see go. He made Shawn seem grown up. Hope they bring the couple back eventually with a different Belle.

Posted by BillyDelyon at Friday, January 25 2008 04:43 PM

IMO this is a big time mistake. Having watched this show for the past 18+ years, I with many have watched this couple grow. While I believe they've not done well with them s/l wize. This to me is a very bad move. Not a fan of Higgleys writing. She did some of this to my other soap OLTL while at the helm. I also wasn't a fan of her stint back in the early 2000's for DOOL. They want to bring up the ratings? Getting rid of well liked characters that folks have a lot of years invested in, is not a good move.

Posted by BillyDelyon at Friday, January 25 2008 04:45 PM

(cont.) or the way to keep fans/ratings up. As you can see on the boards, this has been meet with 99% of the folks flipping out. and 1% liking it. If that doesn't nail the point home. I don't know what will.

MORE COMMENTS: 1 2 3 » »| page: