List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Days of Our Lives - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: Days of Our Lives Forum :: Days and feminism

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Days and feminism

Started by Freida Kloppenheimer at 2014/01/17 11:42PM
    Latest post: 2014/01/20 11:27AM, Views: 594, Replies: 13
    « 1 2 page:
    #11   2014/01/20 06:20AM
    Re: Days and feminism
    daysforever

You points are well made, Frieda. I stand (or sit) corrected.

#12   2014/01/20 09:19AM
    fadingrose

Quote dazgonby:
    Quote fadingrose:
    Quote Freida Kloppenheimer: Abby was strong, independent, and smart. I loved her feminist outing with Jordan a few months ago. Like seeing empowered women on a soap. But now, they have her chasing married men again. Am conflicted cause it makes for great TV, but I hate losing a strong woman character.

I was excited about Madison until they wrote in that stupid Ian character that controlled her. And at least Kate is free from doing Stefano's bidding, though I do love them wreaking havoc together as partners and equals.

Marlena proved to be pretty independent after john pulled various acts of douchebaggery on various douchebag levels. Hope is, as always, awesome. Sami is in her 40s and a grandma with 4 kids that has a new husband every month (also awesome, lol). Hoping Jordan stays interesting and doesn't have some dark man in a dark past controlling her life, yuck to that.

I, too, enjoy watching the strong, independent women--the "feminists"--on DOOL. I think there are several--Hope, Kate, Kristen, Marlena, even Madison at times.
    However, as a member of the generation who started it all in the 1950's, I disagree that Sami fits that description. What's so "awesome" about having multiple ex-husbands and four kids whom she loves but seems to ignore a lot? Yes, she is self-centered and strong-willed--but so impulsive that she has almost always needed a man to bail her out of trouble that she has created. I am a Sami fan--but I doubt she's what "feminism" is all about, and I don't think Abby is a "feminist" either. She still lives at home, has a job she got because of the Horton connection, and acts like an immature teenager with unrealistic romantic "crushes."

Who in Salem has not had multiple marriages..I could be wrong but thinking that Sami has been married to only 3 guys.
    Those you listed have certainly been married more than once.
    Also as discussed many times that Sami ignores her kids...who on any soap...ANY SOAP... does not do this after they are babies...who???
    Hope certainly does, the only time Kate doesn't is when she wants total control over her adult kids lives...and Marlena I think we will just say look how well Sami turned out.
    And as for needing a man to bail Sami out of trouble she created...would that be when she saved Rafe's life and Ej had to go crawling back to Stefano...because of something Ej had done.
    Or maybe the time when she wanted to help Gabi and got caught up with this whole thing with Kate and Gabi...and if Ej had kept out of it and did not have to know EVERYTHING then he would not have had to "save" her...we all know how well that turned out...for him.
    Everyone has the right to their own opinion...but I for one will stick with the facts...yep, I am a Sami fan also so I don't feel the need to throw her under the bus just to make someone else look better.

Once again, I'll say we all may have different opinions about what "feminism" really is--just as we are all entitled to interpret some so-called facts differently. I will always enjoy watching Sami in action, and I don't think I'm "throwing her under the bus" just because she does not exemplify "feminism" to ME. That, of course, is an opinion...(Peace?)

Modified 2 times(s), last time at: 2014/01/20 09:24AM
    #13   2014/01/20 11:27AM
    Freida Klopp...

Quote fadingrose:
    Quote dazgonby:
    Quote fadingrose:
    Quote Freida Kloppenheimer: Abby was strong, independent, and smart. I loved her feminist outing with Jordan a few months ago. Like seeing empowered women on a soap. But now, they have her chasing married men again. Am conflicted cause it makes for great TV, but I hate losing a strong woman character.

I was excited about Madison until they wrote in that stupid Ian character that controlled her. And at least Kate is free from doing Stefano's bidding, though I do love them wreaking havoc together as partners and equals.

Marlena proved to be pretty independent after john pulled various acts of douchebaggery on various douchebag levels. Hope is, as always, awesome. Sami is in her 40s and a grandma with 4 kids that has a new husband every month (also awesome, lol). Hoping Jordan stays interesting and doesn't have some dark man in a dark past controlling her life, yuck to that.

I, too, enjoy watching the strong, independent women--the "feminists"--on DOOL. I think there are several--Hope, Kate, Kristen, Marlena, even Madison at times.
    However, as a member of the generation who started it all in the 1950's, I disagree that Sami fits that description. What's so "awesome" about having multiple ex-husbands and four kids whom she loves but seems to ignore a lot? Yes, she is self-centered and strong-willed--but so impulsive that she has almost always needed a man to bail her out of trouble that she has created. I am a Sami fan--but I doubt she's what "feminism" is all about, and I don't think Abby is a "feminist" either. She still lives at home, has a job she got because of the Horton connection, and acts like an immature teenager with unrealistic romantic "crushes."

Who in Salem has not had multiple marriages..I could be wrong but thinking that Sami has been married to only 3 guys.
    Also as discussed many times that Sami ignores her kids...who on any soap...ANY SOAP... does not do this after they are babies...who???
    Hope certainly does, the only time Kate doesn't is when she wants total control over her adult kids lives...and Marlena I think we will just say look how well Sami turned out.
    And as for needing a man to bail Sami out of trouble she created...would that be when she saved Rafe's life and Ej had to go crawling back to Stefano...because of something Ej had done.
    Or maybe the time when she wanted to help Gabi and got caught up with this whole thing with Kate and Gabi...and if Ej had kept out of it and did not have to know EVERYTHING then he would not have had to "save" her...we all know how well that turned out...for him.
    Everyone has the right to their own opinion...but I for one will stick with the facts...yep, I am a Sami fan also so I don't feel the need to throw her under the bus just to make someone else look better.

Once again, I'll say we all may have different opinions about what "feminism" really is--just as we are all entitled to interpret some so-called facts differently. I will always enjoy watching Sami in action, and I don't think I'm "throwing her under the bus" just because she does not exemplify "feminism" to ME. That, of course, is an opinion...(Peace?)

Not so-called facts. Sami does what she wants and does not feel meek / belittled. She is a strong woman who makes bad decisions. But because she makes bad decisions does not make her any less of a feminist. She is one of the strongest women characters on the show and will run over any one that stands in her way (male or female). Women should not be judged or be deemed any less of a feminist because they marry more than once. If anything, they have the ability to break away from something not working and have the freedom to explore something new in their lives that make them happy. I am happily married and have been for 5 years but I support any woman that wants to break away from their partner if it makes them feel happier or more empowered. I do not believe feminism is complex, nor do I believe it should be subjective. It should simply applaud a fellow woman for living her life independently, and the way she wants to do it.

#14   2014/01/20 11:27AM
    dazgonby

Quote fadingrose:
    Quote dazgonby:
    Quote fadingrose:

Of course peace...had to smile...probably be the only peace that will come of this show...lol!
    I have a bad habit of grouping several together when I am doing a reply so all I put down does not mean that it has come from your reply/opinion....sorry.
    I do get carried away when I feel that I am the only one standing up for Sami...tiresome job but someone has to do it..lol...so hopefully I am not taken too seriously.

« 1 2 page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list