List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Days of Our Lives - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: Days of Our Lives Forum :: Why are the AA male actors given cheesy roles?

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Why are the AA male actors given cheesy roles?

Started by Soapbaby71 at 2013/10/16 02:17PM
    Latest post: 2013/10/23 02:20PM, Views: 554, Replies: 8
    page:
    #1   2013/10/16 02:17PM
    Why are the AA male actors given cheesy roles?
    Soapbaby71

Starting with Chelsea's boyfriend and ending with Cameron.
    Don't get me wrong, I had high hopes for the Cameron recast, but when I saw him "act" for a few days...I quickly learned he was one-dimentional. There's nothing wrong with a good guy, just not a boring guy. I would love to see a real AA or minority couple on the show. And, not just the few lines here and there like the Abe/Lexi days. Remember when they open the door for a good s/l about learning about their son's condition? The ball was dropped, no more about their struggles or how they were coping. Their scenes, as Abe's is now...are supporting, never using their talent. Why is that?

#2   2013/10/20 02:44PM
    Re: Why are the AA male actors given cheesy roles?
    slowze

Quote Soapbaby71: Starting with Chelsea's boyfriend and ending with Cameron.
    Don't get me wrong, I had high hopes for the Cameron recast, but when I saw him "act" for a few days...I quickly learned he was one-dimentional. There's nothing wrong with a good guy, just not a boring guy. I would love to see a real AA or minority couple on the show. And, not just the few lines here and there like the Abe/Lexi days. Remember when they open the door for a good s/l about learning about their son's condition? The ball was dropped, no more about their struggles or how they were coping. Their scenes, as Abe's is now...are supporting, never using their talent. Why is that?

I disagree. How can you say Cameron (Nate Owens) is one-dimensional when he wasn't given a chance to prove his acting skills. He was brought in for one purpose and one purpose only-to be a pawn/prop for Abby and Chad. To create an allusion for something never to be.
    Now to the Cheesy roles - you are 100 percent right. They had a intelligent/mature young adult doctor to build on but chose to got the easy route. You have TPTB say story line dictated is the reason he was let go - what a load of BUNK.
    The real reason Chad (Casey D.) decided to leave.

#3   2013/10/20 07:16PM
    Days Dreamer

I agree that they should have more African American/Black actors on the show, and more involved storylines for them. Would like to see Maxine more, and a storyline developed that she could be in.

#4   2013/10/21 05:09PM
    Marjorie Man...

The writers gave Cameron a boring backburner romance with abby.The stripper storyline was lame sadly we never saw what Nate Owens could bring to the role.

#5   2013/10/21 05:31PM
    days78

i know this falls under the category of woulda/shoulda/coulda ... but I wish that Cameron would have been cast has Maxine's son to begin with... could have been a whole new family and dynamic of single mama putting her son thru med school. They could have given Maxine a whole back story as to why she used to be so hard on people. She's softened so much from the original writing of her character.

Mama head nurse and her son the intern /doctor could have had endless s/l possibilities, instead we got a character that was never fleshed out, we still don't know who his father was... guess the writers were too lazy to care about that one.

#6   2013/10/22 03:44AM
    Marjorie Man...

Quote days78: i know this falls under the category of woulda/shoulda/coulda ... but I wish that Cameron would have been cast has Maxine's son to begin with... could have been a whole new family and dynamic of single mama putting her son thru med school. They could have given Maxine a whole back story as to why she used to be so hard on people. She's softened so much from the original writing of her character.

Mama head nurse and her son the intern /doctor could have had endless s/l possibilities, instead we got a character that was never fleshed out, we still don't know who his father was... guess the writers were too lazy to care about that one.
    That would have been great your much more creative then the hacks the write the show. I allways wanted Cameron to be Stefano son. Poor Cameron was wasted

#7   2013/10/22 03:59AM
    fadingrose

I think the title of this thread is confusing. Maybe it's dumb of me, but until I read a few postings I didn't catch on that AA referred to African Americans. (I originally thought it was referring to AA members, so wondered why Cameron was cited as an example.) Aren't we allowed to refer to people of color as "black"? Nevertheless, I agree that minority actors should not be given "cheesy roles."

#8   2013/10/23 02:14PM
    daysforever

Quote fadingrose: I think the title of this thread is confusing. Maybe it's dumb of me, but until I read a few postings I didn't catch on that AA referred to African Americans. (I originally thought it was referring to AA members, so wondered why Cameron was cited as an example.) Aren't we allowed to refer to people of color as "black"? Nevertheless, I agree that minority actors should not be given "cheesy roles."

Agree. I feel that African American actors should be referred to as "black." I do miss the Abe/Lexi days, and wish there was a black family with real story lines. Maxine and her family would be a good idea.

#9   2013/10/23 02:20PM
    mauimama

I liked Nate Owens a heck of a lot more than the 1st Cameron - that guy was bad... flat flat personaility -- I didn't realize, at first, either that the poster meant African Americans either (I thought it was Alcoholic Anon, too) lol I hate seeing ABE on the back burner - but I sure do NOT want to see him with Kayla - glad that s/l hasn't gone anywhere (yet) Let me clarify that last sentence -- it has nothing to do with ABe being AA and kayla white--- I thought it was really tacky that TIIC had Kayla (or anybody else) hitting on ABE during Lexi's wake!

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/10/23 02:22PM
    page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list