List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Days of Our Lives - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: Days of Our Lives Forum :: Sonny tried to donate blood.... really?

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Sonny tried to donate blood.... really?

Started by days78 at 2013/10/15 11:45PM
    Latest post: 2013/10/17 11:42AM, Views: 826, Replies: 7
    page:
    #1   2013/10/15 11:45PM
    Sonny tried to donate blood.... really?
    days78

The writers really missed the boat on this one, and considering how many gay people work at DAYS, that's pretty sad.

I recently read a local article in Los Angeles about an openly gay councilman calling for a blood drive. There has been an FDA ban on gay men giving blood since the 80's, which at the onset of AIDS made sense. However in todays world with all the ways to test and secure our blood supply that is a ban that needs to to be changed. Not even the Red Cross thinks that ban should still be in effect.

Days could have used this moment to educate it's viewers and make for some compelling writing. It could have added an extra layer to this s/l.
    I've said this many times, but those layers of story telling were what made DOOL great in it's day, but they lost that kind of writing well over a decade ago... Will & Sonny having that conversation could have been 2 minutes on the show that would have made a difference instead of them talking about making sandwiches... lame!

#2   2013/10/16 06:19AM
    Re: Sonny tried to donate blood.... really?
    holdingonfor...

All "gay" people are not sick with AIDS....if they
    have just one partner....and/or were careful with
    another.....so Sonny wanted to give blood...at least
    he wanted to do something!! He wasn't the right
    blood type...

I guess if you are "gay"...you are automatically
    pegged as having AIDS!!!

Seem's like ole California has a lot of laws....
    almost like Virginia with the guy running for
    gov...........he wants to take away all of the
    ladies rights.......evil piece of hog hocky!!!

#3   2013/10/16 08:43AM
    Chrissi_Soap...

I found that strange as well. In Canada the ban was lifted as of this year, but there are all sorts of restrictions. I believe in USA the ban is still in place so I wondered why Sonny tried to donate considering he should have known he could not. Maybe what he was pointing out was how sad the ban was but it didn't come off that way. He just came off as a little upset he couldn't help his friend.

I blame the writers of course but even the acting just did nothing for me. That whole sandwich scene was a fail.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/10/16 08:46AM
    #4   2013/10/16 10:56AM
    EpicFail

I don't remember Sonny saying he tried to donate blood, but was refused because he is gay - did that actually happen?

#5   2013/10/16 09:13PM
    days78

Quote EpicFail: I don't remember Sonny saying he tried to donate blood, but was refused because he is gay - did that actually happen?

No what was written was that Sonny tried to give blood but was the wrong blood type - in the real world there is an FDA ban that is still in place and gay people can not donate blood - period. The law is outdated and needs to be changed.

#6   2013/10/17 04:55AM
    EpicFail

Cool - I didnt' know.

#7   2013/10/17 11:17AM
    DeviantAuthor

Is it a ban on openly gay people donating blood? The reason I ask is because my sons and husband donate regularly and that has never been anything they were asked.

The only thing remotely related to that which is asked is if there was recent sexual activity and if protection was used.

I was given a transfusion year before last and it was from the blood bank because there wasn't time to get any from my husband or sons or at the very least, get their platelets.

I was more freaked out about having someone else's blood floating around in my veins in general than anything STD or disease related because the screening and testing in general is so meticulous.

And all of that took place in Lower Alabama, but I at least wanted to toss that out for anyone who might be interested.

#8   2013/10/17 11:42AM
    cam1207

Actually in the early days of HIV there wasn't the testing there is today - even if you were tested it could take weeks to get the results. The ban on gay blood donors was obviously based on voluntarily not giving blood as who would know if a gay person gave blood, there is no test for gayness (unless it is an uncommonly good sense of style) - but no one in the gay community that I knew of would have risked others lives without knowing they did not carry the HIV virus. Now that the testing is much quicker, most people feel this rule should be repealed or relaxed - but through the years I am sure many gay men have donated blood, once they were sure they were not putting anyone at risk - the tests done on the blood supply is extensive and I would be very surprised if anyone now would be at risk, but in the early days some people did get HIV from the blood supply. We all have to be thankful that the medical community has diligently looked for cures to HIV and better testing. But, in the case of this storyline, Sonny is such a good honest character he would have known this - volunteered that he is gay and most likely been turned down, the writer's missed the boat on this fact.

page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list