List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Days of Our Lives - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: Days of Our Lives Forum :: How does DOOL stay on the air?

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

How does DOOL stay on the air?

Started by Kelby at 2013/09/28 01:06PM
    Latest post: 2013/10/04 11:07AM, Views: 2069, Replies: 30
    « 1 2 3 4 » »| page:
    #21   2013/10/01 05:50PM
    Re: How does DOOL stay on the air?
    Kelby

Quote LuvBoHope:
    Quote Kelby: I think the show has been awful for twenty years. What are your thoughts? How does a broken show stay on the air that long?

Very legitimate post - it IS amazing the show is still breathing (and that's what it IS doing - has been on life support for years now)! The nosedive started imo when new writers started disrespecting the real history of DAYS, the true history of the established, popular characters, and writing a whole new & different show! When it hit rock bottom in the ratings several years ago and stubbornly hasn't done what's been suggested by the longstanding viewer to do what's necessary to work out of the pits & bring it back to familiarity to try & bring back viewers makes it difficult to see how it still stays on the air. The few who still watch are good for DAYS but, truthfully, not nearly enough because most HAVE turned to other channels (as someone reminded we have the right to do) or simply quit watching altogether as was MY personal choice (haven't turned in at all for over a year and watched very occasionally for years prior to that because of not recognizing my once-favorite TV show anymore). Anyway, good question here & we'll see because it's not close to what it was for decades in substance or popularity with no effort being shown to bring that back!

Thank you all for your responses. It just makes me sick to see this show continue on like this. I love this show. I want it to succeed. But this is not success. This is bullsh.t! James E. Reilly, G.d rest his soul....he f.cked this show up back in the 90s. It has had some moments that brought me back for a bit, but then it would crash all over again. I follow the show, but I can not watch this sh.t. This show does not even deserve to be on the internet, that is how bad it is. Whatever. Clearly NBC and the two viewers left see something in it. We will just have to see. You have awesome actresses like Mary Beth Evans and Kristian Alfonso and you can not even write for them. Get your garbage together DAYS. Until you do, I am not watching. P.S. I would hate to see another talk show on TV or a stupid cooking show or court show, but, come on. DAYS today and for the past twenty years, has left a lot to be desired. I hate to see a bunch of people out of work here when this show gets canceled, but come on. Give people some decent entertainment. This is the head honcho, idiots in charge....it is there fault. I highlighted this post. This is in no way directed at you....haha....no hostility. I liked your post. JMO I like everyone's post. Thanks again.

#22   2013/10/01 06:33PM
    BeverlyDeJoise

I have been watching this show since the '80s as a cathartic soothing massage after an abusive childhood. Let me tell you, this Days of Our Lives of the last 20 yrs has been pretty up and down but I have had my VCR and DVR on it every single day. I am loyal to the show and loyal to the characters. I think that's the problem. We need new management and one that will be loyal to us the viewer. After all we are the one putting our loving time into the show. So let's make a list of what we as viewers want to see on the show, get a bunch of signatures, and mail it to NBC. We threaten the bastards. We tell them what we are seeing as viewer and what we are seeing isn't worth waiting an hour of my precious time. I don't miss it. In the old days I would be on pins and needles waiting for the next show and God forbid for me to wait the whole weekend to find out what happened on Monday. That's what I want to feel again. Don't you? So how do we save the show? Or are you all going to just give up on it? I refuse. I am disabled and I refuse to watch Y and R.

#23   2013/10/02 04:07AM
    fadingrose

Quote fadingrose: All of the reasons stated already have some validity. To them I would add the difficulty of appealing to two or more viewer age groups and keeping everyone happy. The Old-timers (like me) would like to see more of the characters we loved in the "good old days." Younger viewers want more spice and romance for the teens and twenty- or thirty-something fans. ABOVE ALL, it doesn't help elevate the low ratings that some fans "love" their favorites so much that they admit to not watching an episode at all IF their special favorite or couple is not scheduled to appear. That is disloyal to the many stories that DAYS has to tell.

Sorry for repeating myself, but when fans of only their special favorites admit to not watching an episode if the object of their admiration is not scheduled to appear, it sure hurts the ratings! My loyalty is to DAYS, not just focused on one or two characters...

#24   2013/10/02 05:56AM
    LuvBoHope

Quote fadingrose:
    Quote fadingrose: All of the reasons stated already have some validity. To them I would add the difficulty of appealing to two or more viewer age groups and keeping everyone happy. The Old-timers (like me) would like to see more of the characters we loved in the "good old days." Younger viewers want more spice and romance for the teens and twenty- or thirty-something fans. ABOVE ALL, it doesn't help elevate the low ratings that some fans "love" their favorites so much that they admit to not watching an episode at all IF their special favorite or couple is not scheduled to appear. That is disloyal to the many stories that DAYS has to tell.

Sorry for repeating myself, but when fans of only their special favorites admit to not watching an episode if the object of their admiration is not scheduled to appear, it sure hurts the ratings! My loyalty is to DAYS, not just focused on one or two characters...

Whether or not this is directed at me doesn't matter, but it could be fitting because Bo & Hope were definitely my reason for staying tuned in to DAYS since it's very earliest years! I watched MANY days & weeks as a loyal viewer & supporter of this show whether they were scheduled to be on or not (only in more recent years did we get these internet "spoilers", however)! I didn't expect them to be shown every day but as long as they received quality story material and treatment they earned & deserved I watched every single day because I enjoyed the whole show more. I'm confident there're MANY others out there with this same sentiment! However, in the last decade or so while these amazing talents were still available the recent writing teams neglected them so terribly & took them so entirely out of character & ruined the history of the show. THAT is NOT loyalty on the part of TPTB imo and I don't feel like supporting that kind of treatment. Just MY opinion - THEY haven't earned that respect as they've shown my faves (who just happened to be two of the most popular of all time here and all daytime) they didn't give it to them!

#25   2013/10/02 07:03AM
    Str8tButEqual

Quote LuvBoHope:
    Quote fadingrose:

Whether or not this is directed at me doesn't matter, but it could be fitting because Bo & Hope were definitely my reason for staying tuned in to DAYS since it's very earliest years! I watched MANY days & weeks as a loyal viewer & supporter of this show whether they were scheduled to be on or not (only in more recent years did we get these internet "spoilers", however)! I didn't expect them to be shown every day but as long as they received quality story material and treatment they earned & deserved I watched every single day because I enjoyed the whole show more. I'm confident there're MANY others out there with this same sentiment! However, in the last decade or so while these amazing talents were still available the recent writing teams neglected them so terribly & took them so entirely out of character & ruined the history of the show. THAT is NOT loyalty on the part of TPTB imo and I don't feel like supporting that kind of treatment. Just MY opinion - THEY haven't earned that respect as they've shown my faves (who just happened to be two of the most popular of all time here and all daytime) they didn't give it to them!

I agree. I started watching Days in the early ‘80’s and I loved the whole show. The interaction between all the characters & the interwoven stories throughout each episode.

As of now I no longer have that loyalty to the show because I’ve seen firsthand how they treat their employees and their lack of care in the storytelling. I’ve seen better stories in fan fiction than I what I see on DOOL. If TPTB doesn’t care why should the fans?

#26   2013/10/03 09:48AM
    daysforever

Well, we (The Fans) DO care. It's our fix, our comfortable habit, the place where we watch characters that we love and that we hate grow up, grow out, betray, find love, marry, have babies, grow old, and even die. And at times, it's our Love in the Afternoon! Good or bad story lines. We care, and that's why we watch.

#27   2013/10/03 02:40PM
    LuvBoHope

Quote daysforever: Well, we (The Fans) DO care. It's our fix, our comfortable habit, the place where we watch characters that we love and that we hate grow up, grow out, betray, find love, marry, have babies, grow old, and even die. And at times, it's our Love in the Afternoon! Good or bad story lines. We care, and that's why we watch.

DAYS is VERY fortunate to have a few like you left! The problem for the show in recent decades is they've lost MANY MORE & let them get away by simply not listening & caring about the WHOLE audience - only the ones THEY (the writers) care about while they've attempted to ignore the show's true history & write an entirely different show! That has not kept the numbers up as we all know & why this thread was started. There needs to be no real competition about who still watches & who's left - ratings staying on the bottom of the barrel shows that TPTB have dropped the ball (not the viewer) because they've done absolutely NOTHING to bring their once very loyal, family-like audience back! Their plan has been a dismal failure & there's no promise for better - been going on too long. As for DAYS staying on the air - that IS a puzzle although it no longer affects me, personally - I don't care one iota. It's definitely NOT high ratings, so who knows - maybe they don't have anything better set up in place right now OR they're letting DAYS celebrate 50 yrs. We'll soon know but for those LOVING this cheap product, knock yourselves out! Glad you're enjoying but they definitely need a WHOLE lot more to be comfortable - that's for sure!!

#28   2013/10/04 06:03AM
    flightygirl

If Days wanted people to continue watching they should have quality writers and producers.

#29   2013/10/04 09:00AM
    CdnMama

I don't see how it's surviving. It's dead last in the ratings all the time right? Don't the writers see this and care? Do they even care that their sloppy writing and poor treatment of the show is hurting it's viewership? I have it on every day to give it ratings but I most times don't watch all of it. why? because the boring parts outweigh any good parts.
    This pimping of Dannifer has got to stop. Every character pimping this couple every day has gotten so boring and predictable and tiresome. So boring!!! Stop trying to force this couple at us. Stop the pimping at least. it is reducing longtime vets to pimping Dannifer and it's sickening.
    JJ gets more airtime in one week than Kayla and Hope got this year! It is unbelievable.
    Try making stories that the fans want and appreciate and see how the ratings will turn around! Fix the mess and save the show! i for one hope it stays on the air we do NOT need to see this show cancelled and get another lame talk show! That would be a travesty.

#30   2013/10/04 10:23AM
    CindyHaskins

I am going to be positive that hope will be getting a lot of airtime once chad and Kristen are off of the show.i can careless about kayla she is nothing but a boring character. another thing i do see days of our lives surviving.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/10/04 10:25AM
    « 1 2 3 4 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list