List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Days of Our Lives - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: Days of Our Lives Forum :: How does DOOL stay on the air?

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

How does DOOL stay on the air?

Started by Kelby at 2013/09/28 01:06PM
    Latest post: 2013/10/04 11:07AM, Views: 1990, Replies: 30
    1 2 3 4 » »| page:
    #1   2013/09/28 01:06PM
    How does DOOL stay on the air?
    Kelby

I think the show has been awful for twenty years. What are your thoughts? How does a broken show stay on the air that long?

#2   2013/09/28 02:01PM
    Re: How does DOOL stay on the air?
    daysforever

Why are people so bent on writing an obituary for DAYS, and offering countdowns as to how long it will be on air? what kinds of programming are they missing as the result of the DAYS broadcast? I mean, is DAYS keeping anyone from switching to stations that serve up the usual late-morning-afternoon fare: One talk show after another that features a minor celebrity host, an audience that claps estatically as other celebrities promote their new movie, book, album, latest style, diet, gossip. Blah, Blah, Blah. How original! A soap opera has to create and broadcast several story lines every day. They may not all be winners, but having a program that follows the lives of people in story form 261 days a year comes from our oldest form of entertainment, going back to ancient times. The soap opera is part of our culture, and we are losing it.

#3   2013/09/28 03:30PM
    mama rosa

Hi Kelby!

Maybe it's the 3 "L's"
    Loyalty,
    Laughter,
    and Love!
    Stir well,serve warm...LOL

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/09/28 03:32PM
    #4   2013/09/28 03:31PM
    Lady Tiny

I love Days, and would be very sad if it went off the air. I've watched it on and off since I was in college (I'm in my late 40's), and I haven't felt that it's gotten worse over the years. There are good episodes and bad episodes, like any show. I love the characters; it is great to see those familiar faces day after day. And it's relaxing and comforting to become immersed in the lives of the Days folks--I can watch their ups and downs as escapism from everyday life. Traditional soaps may be out of fashion right now, but those reality tv shows are pretty soapy, and the Spanish language soaps are booming, I hear. In fact, my husband is always complaining about all the back-stories on nighttime tv--he says they've become like soap operas. I'll stick with good old Days of Our Lives!

#5   2013/09/29 04:10PM
    Kelby

Some might ask me why I am trying to write an obituary for the show. I am and I am not. If the show wants to continue on. Great! I want it to. But, not if the stories and characters are going to suffer at the hands of bad writing, etc. One might ask, why do you want to see a show carry on that is awful? Is it out of some weird respect for the daytime soap genre? The genre is being disrespected everyday that this show carries on as garbage. They have had twenty years to clean this show up and still, nothing. The same old, hit and miss characters and plots. Clearly the network has something with keeping the show alive. I just wonder what the breaking point is. When will the show finally stink so bad, that they will pull it off the air? Every show has a breaking point and they are all different. What is DOOL breaking point?

#6   2013/09/29 07:29PM
    HouseTops

Quote Kelby: I think the show has been awful for twenty years. What are your thoughts? How does a broken show stay on the air that long?

Dool stays on the air "because it can"!!

#7   2013/09/30 02:17AM
    mille

Quote Kelby: Some might ask me why I am trying to write an obituary for the show. I am and I am not. If the show wants to continue on. Great! I want it to. But, not if the stories and characters are going to suffer at the hands of bad writing, etc. One might ask, why do you want to see a show carry on that is awful? Is it out of some weird respect for the daytime soap genre? The genre is being disrespected everyday that this show carries on as garbage. They have had twenty years to clean this show up and still, nothing. The same old, hit and miss characters and plots. Clearly the network has something with keeping the show alive. I just wonder what the breaking point is. When will the show finally stink so bad, that they will pull it off the air? Every show has a breaking point and they are all different. What is DOOL breaking point?

Breaking point, 2014 when this last contract ends. I don't think Days will be renewed. Lol, they can always put it on the internet!

#8   2013/09/30 06:47AM
    LuvBoHope

Quote Kelby: I think the show has been awful for twenty years. What are your thoughts? How does a broken show stay on the air that long?

Very legitimate post - it IS amazing the show is still breathing (and that's what it IS doing - has been on life support for years now)! The nosedive started imo when new writers started disrespecting the real history of DAYS, the true history of the established, popular characters, and writing a whole new & different show! When it hit rock bottom in the ratings several years ago and stubbornly hasn't done what's been suggested by the longstanding viewer to do what's necessary to work out of the pits & bring it back to familiarity to try & bring back viewers makes it difficult to see how it still stays on the air. The few who still watch are good for DAYS but, truthfully, not nearly enough because most HAVE turned to other channels (as someone reminded we have the right to do) or simply quit watching altogether as was MY personal choice (haven't turned in at all for over a year and watched very occasionally for years prior to that because of not recognizing my once-favorite TV show anymore). Anyway, good question here & we'll see because it's not close to what it was for decades in substance or popularity with no effort being shown to bring that back!

#9   2013/09/30 08:02AM
    fadingrose

All of the reasons stated already have some validity. To them I would add the difficulty of appealing to two or more viewer age groups and keeping everyone happy. The Old-timers (like me) would like to see more of the characters we loved in the "good old days." Younger viewers want more spice and romance for the teens and twenty- or thirty-something fans. ABOVE ALL, it doesn't help elevate the low ratings that some fans "love" their favorites so much that they admit to not watching an episode at all IF their special favorite or couple is not scheduled to appear. That is disloyal to the many stories that DAYS has to tell.

#10   2013/09/30 08:14AM
    CindyHaskins

I for one have to say nbc will renewed days of our lives for another year.so this show can reached there 50 years been on air.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/09/30 08:18AM
    1 2 3 4 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list