List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Days of Our Lives - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: Days of Our Lives Forum :: Vocation, calling or guilt, why did Eric become

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Vocation, calling or guilt, why did Eric become

Started by allmylovingdays at 2013/08/28 06:53AM
    Latest post: 2013/11/06 06:13AM, Views: 2045, Replies: 30
    « 1 2 3 4 » »| page:
    #21   2013/09/01 02:36PM
    Re: Vocation, calling or guilt, why did Eric become
    zuzu61

Quote dazgonby:
    Quote zuzu61:
    Quote allmylovingdays: a priest. can anyone tell me??

OMGoodness amld.. I'm glad you asked this.. I went over to the Cast List and found this. I had no idea. How traumatic..
    So what do you think??

From the Cast List:
    ...Sami, Marlena and Sami's children have visited Eric in Colorado since he left Salem and returned November 13, 2012... as a priest. He was keeping a secret, that he was a photographer in South Africa when he saw something terrible. A priest stood up for a child who would otherwise have been murdered and took her place. He was killed in front of Eric, who couldn't forgive himself for not taking the child's place.

Yes this is what he told Nicole and he blames himself for not taking the child's place.

I'm not trying to answer the question. This is just my feeling r/t Father Eric and the S/L I SOO wished it had been. IMO, the writers TOTALLY RUINED what could have been a beautiful (short) s/l.. Remember.. JMO! haha.

Trying to put the writers out of the equation.. because they could have taken this situation and make a RESPECTFUL S/L out of it with a young man choosing the life of a Priest out of GUILT or was he called by God??
    So dismissing them because We have NO idea what they may come up with for the reason Eric became a Priest. (Thank you writers for, again, REALLY screwing up what could have been a beautiful s/l of a young Priest)

OK.. I've tried to put myself in Eric's shoes.. Even though, with such a traumatic event.. I realize that's impossible..

I say GUILT.. Unbearable pain and guilt.

Trying to pretend I'm Eric.

I was a successful photographer. In my travels I'd met the MOST Godly Man I'd ever imagined to walk the face of this earth, with the exception of Jesus Christ.
    I could just watch him for hours and hours just interacting with the young children. EVERY thing about him reminded me of what I, as a child, had imagined Jesus to be like. Never had I seen a man so full of love, patience, understanding & kindness to all of the children. NOT once did I ever see him when he didn't have time to LISTEN to them with a smile, a hug and an "I love you" with a gentle loving pat.
    Always building their self esteem, dealing with the most rebellious, angry child turning them around with consistent love and gentle but firm discipline.

He was certainly no pushover. When discipline was needed, he knew exactly how to give it without raising his voice.
    I was mesmerized. Seemed like God told him every word to say and every step to take with everyone.. esp. the children.

Then.. one day it seemed Satan himself came. I should have taken his place.. I should have never allowed him to die for that little girl. God had put him here for a work NO ONE else could do.. He had SOO much to do and I do nothing.. He made such a difference. I'll never forgive myself for not taking his place that day. I should have died, not him..
    Now I have to try and take his place, continue his work. I feel so guilty every day of my life. The least I can do is try and continue what God had sent him to do. I feel like I robbed the children. Every day, I feel so guilty. Oh God, Please forgive me for not taking his place. I failed him. I failed you.

IMO.. That would have made a better s/l, showing how Father Matt helps Father Eric overcome this guilt and helping him decide whether or not he is a Priest from GOD calling him or out of guilt..
    Showing flashbacks of This Priest interacting with the children and Eric watching and taking photos of them w/o them knowing..

-----
    We all struggle with guilt from some decision we've made.. I don't think GOD wants us to ever feel guilty, but to accept his forgiveness and move forward. Doing the best we can.. And we surely we'll make many more mistakes..
    Surely this would have been a better S/L than raping a priest.
    OH sorry.. that's another thread.
    My guess is "out of Guilt".. ??? Just my guess???

Sorry to have gone on & on.. this is JMO..
    Have a wonderful holiday week-end..

#22   2013/09/01 03:26PM
    littleguysmom

Zuzu61 BRAVO!!!! BRAVO!!!! nicely said and I agree with you whole heartily that would have been a better s/l for Eric. And I too agree that Eric went into the priesthood because of guilt.

#23   2013/09/01 04:43PM
    flightygirl

Quote littleguysmom: Zuzu61 BRAVO!!!! BRAVO!!!! nicely said and I agree with you whole heartily that would have been a better s/l for Eric. And I too agree that Eric went into the priesthood because of guilt.

I agree. Why can't the writers write complex characters anymore?

#24   2013/09/24 06:56PM
    allmylovingdays

Today was the first time I actually felt that Eric had a vocation to the church. He was in such turmoil over what he hopes are false dreams and his prayers actually seemed to sooth him.

Just when I am ready to believe in his vocation, now they will rip it away

#25   2013/11/04 11:06AM
    allmylovingdays

I think that Eric will need to go on a retreat or sabbatical to figure out how and why he was so easily swayed to believe I t was Niki and what exactly does this mean about his character as a priest that he only could see what he believes is true and doesn't stop and think and investigate more -right now he should be visiting that hypnotist to make a break through but nope instead he is too hurt

#26   2013/11/04 02:06PM
    zuzu61

I would say I certainly don't believe it was a "calling".
    But I won't say that because God says NOT to judge.
    Evidently Fr. Eric has NOT gotten to that passage in the bible, or either maybe he's forgotten he read it..

Just kidding..

#27   2013/11/05 01:11PM
    allmylovingdays

Well now again I believe that Eric feels he had a calling. So this reveal is totally going to have him losing his faith in GOD?

#28   2013/11/05 02:00PM
    flightygirl

What I am trying to understand is why a devout priest is on a soap opera. He clearly is devoted and has never questioned his calling. I want romance and love stories...not priests giving last rites, precana, first communions, and confirmations. I certainly don't want him to be raped and have it revealed in church. What is the point?? I liked Father Matt. He is the perfect supporting character priest. Sorry for rambling but I don't get it?

#29   2013/11/05 02:22PM
    stjarna

Quote flightygirl: What I am trying to understand is why a devout priest is on a soap opera. He clearly is devoted and has never questioned his calling. I want romance and love stories...not priests giving last rites, precana, first communions, and confirmations. I certainly don't want him to be raped and have it revealed in church. What is the point?? I liked Father Matt. He is the perfect supporting character priest. Sorry for rambling but I don't get it?

I feel the same way.

#30   2013/11/06 05:07AM
    Jomar

Quote flightygirl: What I am trying to understand is why a devout priest is on a soap opera. He clearly is devoted and has never questioned his calling. I want romance and love stories...not priests giving last rites, precana, first communions, and confirmations. I certainly don't want him to be raped and have it revealed in church. What is the point?? I liked Father Matt. He is the perfect supporting character priest. Sorry for rambling but I don't get it?

I agree with you, what's the point.

« 1 2 3 4 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list