List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Days of Our Lives - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: Days of Our Lives Forum :: Vocation, calling or guilt, why did Eric become

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Vocation, calling or guilt, why did Eric become

Started by allmylovingdays at 2013/08/28 06:53AM
    Latest post: 2013/11/06 06:13AM, Views: 2086, Replies: 30
    1 2 3 4 » »| page:
    #1   2013/08/28 06:53AM
    Vocation, calling or guilt, why did Eric become
    allmylovingdays

a priest. can anyone tell me??

#2   2013/08/28 05:06PM
    Re: Vocation, calling or guilt, why did Eric become
    miladytn

I think it's a bit of all three. I remember Eric telling Nicole about the horrible conditions he saw in the Congo. Didn't he tell a story about helping a priest there? And then wanting to continue the priest's work after the priest died or was killed. Hope that helps.

#3   2013/08/28 05:32PM
    allmylovingdays

Thanks. I was hoping after yesterday he gave us something else away about his personality. I guess not.

#4   2013/08/28 06:58PM
    zuzu61

Quote allmylovingdays: a priest. can anyone tell me??

OMGoodness amld.. I'm glad you asked this.. I went over to the Cast List and found this. I had no idea. How traumatic..
    So what do you think??

From the Cast List:
    ...Sami, Marlena and Sami's children have visited Eric in Colorado since he left Salem and returned November 13, 2012... as a priest. He was keeping a secret, that he was a photographer in South Africa when he saw something terrible. A priest stood up for a child who would otherwise have been murdered and took her place. He was killed in front of Eric, who couldn't forgive himself for not taking the child's place.

#5   2013/08/28 07:04PM
    zuzu61

Quote miladytn: I think it's a bit of all three. I remember Eric telling Nicole about the horrible conditions he saw in the Congo. Didn't he tell a story about helping a priest there? And then wanting to continue the priest's work after the priest died or was killed. Hope that helps.

Thanks miladytn.. You were right. I didn't know this. So Sad.

#6   2013/08/28 07:40PM
    Euskadi

As a Catholic we believe that nuns, priests and monks have a special calling from God to serve their fellow man in whatever capacity God wishes. Some are members of religious orders such as the Jesuits, the Franciscans, the Dominicans, etc. Some are secular who belong to a diocese under the direction of a bishop. Those who are called spend many years in training. They take the vows of poverty,chastity, and obedience. Many of the people who are called to the religious life dedicate their lives to bringing Gods word and helping the poor, the homeless, the troubled. Many have taught in Catholic schools and still teach in Catholic universities. Unfortunately, within the past 20-30 years the Catholic Clergy has been enmeshed in the clergy sex scandal. However, for every bad priest there are thousands who do live a life of holiness and service to their people, and yes many do fall in love and leave the religious life. I think Father Eric wants to be faithful to his vows and wants to be a good priest and I think Nicole is beginning to realize Father Eric's true calling. Only time will tell.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/08/28 07:42PM
    #7   2013/08/29 04:07AM
    fadingrose

I find the "why" and "when" background of Eric's call to the priesthood very murky. Did he suddenly decide that's what he needed to do? Was he already a priest when he witnessed the tragedy in Africa? If so, when and for how long were his studies in a seminary? The archdiocese would hardly assign Eric to the Salem parish unless he fulfilled all the steps on the normal road to ordination. I'm not a Roman Catholic, but even to me, something doesn't make sense...

#8   2013/08/29 04:59AM
    dazgonby

Quote zuzu61:
    Quote allmylovingdays: a priest. can anyone tell me??

OMGoodness amld.. I'm glad you asked this.. I went over to the Cast List and found this. I had no idea. How traumatic..
    So what do you think??

From the Cast List:
    ...Sami, Marlena and Sami's children have visited Eric in Colorado since he left Salem and returned November 13, 2012... as a priest. He was keeping a secret, that he was a photographer in South Africa when he saw something terrible. A priest stood up for a child who would otherwise have been murdered and took her place. He was killed in front of Eric, who couldn't forgive himself for not taking the child's place.

Yes this is what he told Nicole and he blames himself for not taking the child's place.

#9   2013/08/29 05:20AM
    HouseTops

Eric is a man first and everything else second.

#10   2013/08/29 05:57AM
    allmylovingdays

Euskadi, thanks that's what I remember too about nuns and priest. That's why I've hated it from the beginning that they wanted to put Eric into this situation. We knew from the get go he was here for Niki. I couldn't imagine it, still can't because the character isn't defined enough for me and is way too boring but when the system was acting up Tuesday I didn't pay attention to him at the pub and wondered if maybe I missed something when he talked to Niki.

I knew already about the death of the priest that's why I put in my title 'guilt'. I wondered if he addressed his so called vocation or calling or did he tell Niki exactly what she wanted to hear it was guilt that called him and he could be swayed somehow to leave.

1 2 3 4 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list