List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Days of Our Lives - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: Days of Our Lives Forum :: Off Topic / Random Conversation Thread

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Off Topic / Random Conversation Thread

Started by Bricole at 2011/11/13 04:41PM
    Latest post: 2014/04/04 06:07PM, Views: 28892, Replies: 680
    « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 » »| page:
    #51   2011/11/21 07:45AM
    Re: Off Topic / Random Conversation Thread
    mama rosa

Quote mbfc3: Mbfc,
    I was just wondering has the teaching of history kinda changed down there,...cause it sure has up here,...Everything gets rewritten over time,I guess...It's to bad though,the kids today really don't know much,about it!

Sadly, we stick to such a strict schedule and teach only specific standards that we have a good idea will be on the Spring standardized test. I've been in the business 22 years, and the test overlords have sucked all the enjoyment out of it. We used to do some fun stuff, but now everything is about testing and making gains on the test every year. In middle school, we cover the settlement of America through the Civil War. Everything after that they do in 11th grade here, so the kids have 3 years to forget everything we teach them!

My neighbor's daughter is in grade 10 and since grade 8 they have been teaching out of a textbook Called New World,{something like that} do you have it too!! It's sure not what we were taught as kids...rewriting our history...Just last week they were talking about Operation Crimson like it was nothing and what great friends U.S.A. and Canada are!It wasn't like that at all!! U.S. Tried to invade but they couldn't take the cold!..LOL U.S. wanted our minerals gas and oil,Ports Railway everything!... So they figured they would just wait! But now they don't even make it sound like a war just a misunderstanding!! So now it's 2011 and they have that Super highway from Mexico thought Texas and the States up to Ontario across the Country to Vancouver! And were all one happy Continent!LOL
    Sorry didn't mean to rant but this is one issue that bugs me!! The rewriting of history!!

#52   2011/11/21 08:24AM
    Bricole

Hi everyone.

Cannotwatch
    I will now have to rewind some old episodes to look for the long pinky nail. Lol.

Friendly88,
    I also love live trees. When I was younger, my dad always took my brothers to chop down a tree on property owned by my grandmother. I remember being so excited waiting for them to return from an all day trip. Now my kids are allergic to pine, so use an artificial tree.

Mbfc3,
    I have a 9th grader and a 3rd grader. I hate internet homework assignments. Guess I am a bit old fashioned and think they should use books. I prefer a visit to the library or encyclopedias over Internet searches. My pet peeve is Wikipedia as a reference source. You are right about history in the states. So much is not taught. My favorite example is when schools teach that Thomas Edison invented the light bulb. They leave out that electric lamps were already invented and being used before Edison's bright idea. Plus the filament had already been invented by Lewis Latimer, the same guy who invented electric lamps and helped Edison with his "invention". Sorry for my long response. Lol. Fortunately, I let my kids do their own assignments for the sake of getting a good grade, but we discuss the real history at home. Columbus Day discussions are really fun. Of course, I realize that teachers have one of the toughest jobs. I admire you guys for the patience to deal with students, administrators, and parents.

#53   2011/11/21 08:29AM
    Bricole

Hi mamarosa. I live in the southern US and our temperature reached 70 degrees fahrenheit over the weekend. I think it is back in the 50's now. Try to stay warm.

#54   2011/11/21 08:32AM
    mama rosa

Quote Bricole: Hi everyone.

Cannotwatch
    I will now have to rewind some old episodes to look for the long pinky nail. Lol.

Friendly88,
    I also love live trees. When I was younger, my dad always took my brothers to chop down a tree on property owned by my grandmother. I remember being so excited waiting for them to return from an all day trip. Now my kids are allergic to pine, so use an artificial tree.

Mbfc3,
    I have a 9th grader and a 3rd grader. I hate internet homework assignments. Guess I am a bit old fashioned and think they should use books. I prefer a visit to the library or encyclopedias over Internet searches. My pet peeve is Wikipedia as a reference source. You are right about history in the states. So much is not taught. My favorite example is when schools teach that Thomas Edison invented the light bulb. They leave out that electric lamps were already invented and being used before Edison's bright idea. Plus the filament had already been invented by Lewis Latimer, the same guy who invented electric lamps and helped Edison with his "invention". Sorry for my long response. Lol. Fortunately, I let my kids do their own assignments for the sake of getting a good grade, but we discuss the real history at home. Columbus Day discussions are really fun. Of course, I realize that teachers have one of the toughest jobs. I admire you guys for the patience to deal with students, administrators, and parents.

Sorry to butt in but,......
    Thank God I'm not the only one that has noticed the changes in History or Lack of facts!!....I'm not crazy!LOL
    Thank You both, Bricole,Mbfc!!

#55   2011/11/21 03:51PM
    mbfc3

I live and teach in an area where some of our kids don't have access to good, reliable home computers, so we do still use books, which I like. What I don't like is that I have 160 in 5 classes this year, and I don't have enough books to go around, so I can't assign them. We just have to do everything at school, which takes too long, or you just hit the highlights.

Ah well, I'm lucky to have a job, and I know it. Have a great holiday week, everyone in the states, and a great holiday season to all!

#56   2011/11/25 11:13AM
    mama rosa

Hi Everyone!

I sure hope All our friends down south are having a Wonderful Thanksgiving weekend!!
    Anyone go shopping today?
    Name your deal,what did you buy, and how much did you save!!

We have a Chinook that came through,.. so it's -7...
    That's soo much better!!LOL
    Have a Great Day,Everyone!!

#57   2011/11/27 04:49PM
    Bricole

Quote mama rosa: Hi Everyone!

I sure hope All our friends down south are having a Wonderful Thanksgiving weekend!!
    Anyone go shopping today?
    Name your deal,what did you buy, and how much did you save!!

We have a Chinook that came through,.. so it's -7...
    That's soo much better!!LOL
    Have a Great Day,Everyone!!

Hi everyone. How was your holiday? Hi mama rosa. I hate crowds and try to avoid the Black Friday craziness. Plan to shop online during Cyber Monday. My kids have a small list, thank goodness.

#58   2011/11/28 09:02AM
    PC_SALEM0106

Hey, Hope everyone had a good Holiday weekend. I am much more of a Cyber Monday shopper/ browser myself, I don't have kids, so I probably look for stuff for my niece and nephew and my self..

Ok have a great day.

#59   2011/11/28 06:11PM
    Bricole

Quote PC_SALEM0106: Hey, Hope everyone had a good Holiday weekend. I am much more of a Cyber Monday shopper/ browser myself, I don't have kids, so I probably look for stuff for my niece and nephew and my self..

Ok have a great day.

Hi PC. Have you heard from Monsoon. I haven't seen a post in a while. I hope everything is ok. Also, my thoughts and prayers are with you, as well.

#60   2011/11/28 07:11PM
    PC_SALEM0106

Quote Bricole:
    Quote PC_SALEM0106: Hey, Hope everyone had a good Holiday weekend. I am much more of a Cyber Monday shopper/ browser myself, I don't have kids, so I probably look for stuff for my niece and nephew and my self..

Ok have a great day.

Hi PC. Have you heard from Monsoon. I haven't seen a post in a while. I hope everything is ok. Also, my thoughts and prayers are with you, as well.

hi Bri, I've seen Monsoon's posts in the Kirsten D Thread, but thats about it.
    I assume everything is ok. Thanks very much, my prayers are with you as well. Have a great night everyone.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list