List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Days of Our Lives - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: Days of Our Lives Forum :: A post on TVGuide about Philip leaving.

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

A post on TVGuide about Philip leaving.

Started by Chrissi at 2006/09/20 07:28PM
    Latest post: 2006/09/22 09:19AM, Views: 712, Replies: 3
    page:
    #1   2006/09/20 07:28PM
    A post on TVGuide about Philip leaving.
    Chrissi

D Coleridge from TVGuide.com writes,...

So I promised you more scoopage from my recent in-depth interview with Hogan Sheffer, the new head writer of NBC's Days of our Lives. Last week, you read about Sheffer's big plans for the DiMera dynasty. Today's report is all about Salem rich boy Philip Kiriakis!

Just to refresh your memory, Kyle Brandt who started out on MTV's The Real World: Chicago has reached the end of his three-year contract with Days. He's chosen to leave the NBC soap to pursue other career endeavors. Brandt last airs on October 12.

Sheffer acknowledges that Days definitely intends to recast Philip because he sees the role as vital. "Victor Kiriakis (John Aniston) can no longer be the big swinging [honcho] of that family anymore," he insists. "It's gotta be Philip, the next generation. He's gotta be the new Victor."

Might the charming, gorgeous and much-missed Jay Kenneth Johnson, who played Philip before Brandt, possibly come back to reprise his old role?

FYI, Johnson left Days in 2002 and went on to do the short-lived nighttime soap North Shore, as well as guest-star gigs on primetime series including The OC, CSI: NY and Scrubs. He's also got an upcoming guest-star gig on CSI: Miami (more details on that later).

Bottom line: Johnson's been working very respectably since Days, but it's not like his career has soared to such heights that daytime couldn't lure him back with a sweet deal.

"Jay will certainly be considered when the time comes," Sheffer says. "He's a great looking guy and everybody loved him on Days."

What's most important to Sheffer is restoring the integrity of Philip, who's been dumbed down like most of the men in Salem.

"There's been a lot of disrepect involved with [the writing of] Philip," Sheffer adds. "This character is missing a leg that he lost in combat. I didn't even know that until my co-head writer Meg Kelly called me and told me, 'Did you know Philip has a prosthetic leg?' I said, 'He doesn't even limp!' If you're going to do something like that, you've got to treat it with some kind of respect. I don't see Philip carrying much of a burden from what happened to him.

"In fact, if they can't get [Johnson], I would love for them to cast a one-legged actor. And preferably, a [military] veteran."

Right after he says this, Sheffer bursts into laughter. "Of course, that's a tall order!" he says. "[Executive producer] Ken Corday said, 'Why don't we just start with somebody talented, Hogan?' I said, 'That's a good idea, Ken.'"

#2   2006/09/20 07:58PM
    Re: A post on TVGuide about Philip leaving.
    Serena

-I replied with this on the 'Phillip' post, what do you think, do you have the inside scooper maybe?

Someone posted upcoming for this week, and I think part of it said Clair's dad takes off with her. So, is this what Phil will do after he learns tomorrow that Shawn is Clair's father? Is this how the actor takes his exit from the show?

#3   2006/09/21 07:30AM
    Chrissi

I didn't see your post, sorry!

I don't think I have the inside scoop on this one, as ABC has not commented on anything to me yet.

I also haven't heard that Phil takes off with Claire. Could be a rumor. I'm not certain!

#4   2006/09/22 09:19AM
    bornondays

Thank God they are recasting this Phillip...I can't stand him and the way he talks...too preppy!! Just the sound of his voice makes me...the one before him was no prize either!! Soon they will recast them all and we won't know who is who.

page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list