List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Dallas - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: Dallas Forum :: Can anyone forgive, forget, and rise above?

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Can anyone forgive, forget, and rise above?

Started by JasonM at 2014/04/22 06:13AM
    Latest post: 2014/04/29 06:40PM, Views: 380, Replies: 1
    page:
    #1   2014/04/22 06:13AM
    Can anyone forgive, forget, and rise above?
    JasonM

It feels like one of the themes being explored this season is the idea that anyone can rationalize in their own mind that they have been wronged and screwed, and that rationalization motivates antagonism, which of course chain reactions into someone else feeling screwed, etc, etc. Argubly, the entire Dallas saga was founded on Digger Barnes feeling screwed.

Is there anyone in the show that can rise above this state of human condition? Miss Ellie was the closest in the original show and it might have been nice if Bobby had become the new Miss Ellie. Instead, he's become a hybrid Bobby/JR.

I remembered some old episodes where Miss Ellie would talk to Cliff - about how she loved Digger - and her sense of compassion, understanding, and warmth was something even Cliff could not ignore. Miss Ellie was, for the lack of a better non-80s analogy, the "Jedi" of the show who counterbalanced all of the people who were turning to the dark side.

Would you agree the new series kills off the idea of a Jedi character and assumes that everyone is a part of the dark side, for their own reasons, and that no one can be salvaged? Is that good for the show or should they bring up a Jedi character?

#2   2014/04/29 06:40PM
    Re: Can anyone forgive, forget, and rise above?
    clicquot1

Quote JasonM: It feels like one of the themes being explored this season is the idea that anyone can rationalize in their own mind that they have been wronged and screwed, and that rationalization motivates antagonism, which of course chain reactions into someone else feeling screwed, etc, etc. Argubly, the entire Dallas saga was founded on Digger Barnes feeling screwed.

Is there anyone in the show that can rise above this state of human condition? Miss Ellie was the closest in the original show and it might have been nice if Bobby had become the new Miss Ellie. Instead, he's become a hybrid Bobby/JR.

I remembered some old episodes where Miss Ellie would talk to Cliff - about how she loved Digger - and her sense of compassion, understanding, and warmth was something even Cliff could not ignore. Miss Ellie was, for the lack of a better non-80s analogy, the "Jedi" of the show who counterbalanced all of the people who were turning to the dark side.

Would you agree the new series kills off the idea of a Jedi character and assumes that everyone is a part of the dark side, for their own reasons, and that no one can be salvaged? Is that good for the show or should they bring up a Jedi character?

I guess Elena is sort of the new Pam Barnes being that her daddy got messed ovr by the Ewings and she will always love Bobby's not bioson Christopher!

Although since it the 21st century the shock has to be amphed up and she also has sex with Christophers not biocuz John Ross!

Then the 21st century Sue Ellen who is not a drunk but will soon be a pill popper has to amp up the shock and awe with the three way with her identically dressed not really related to but almost through marriage sister sort of!

I just can't with that 3-way!

Bleech, and just when I sorta but not quite kinda liked Pammela! Oh, well bleech!

There will never be another Miss Ellie! Period!

page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list