The 'ridiculous couch'. (HLN)
Though we couldn't be happier that we have a Daytime Emmy Awards ceremony to watch, we couldn't help but notice the ceremony peppered with awkwardness and technical issues throughout.
6. After the winners gave their speech, they were forced to sit in the hot spot to provide their reaction - again - with a reporter who didn't even know who they are. At 9:30 in the evening - a half hour before the show was slated to end, they finally realized this wasn't working out the way they had planned and replaced this person with Julie Chen. Good call.
5. The Kardashians are everywhere...What was Kris Jenner, a woman who makes a living off airing her dirty laundry on reality TV given an interview at the Daytime Emmys? Viewers preferred to see soap stars and talk show hosts being interviewed.
4. Corbin Bernsen dropped not only the f-bomb but he said the word s***. Neither word was edited out. We saw two camps on social media. Those who enjoyed a good chuckle and felt the profanity livened things up and those in shock who felt it was boorish and that Jeanne Cooper herself, though a self-professed potty mouth would have never said those words at such an event. Which camp are you in?
2. Monty Hall won a lifetime achievement award for host of the game show, "Let's Make A Deal," which was touching, though Wayne Brady accidentally skipped his video tribute, which Hall pointed out was prepared by his daughter, actress Joanna Gleason. Speaking of videos... Soap fans would have loved to have seen more clips, a shout out to "Y&R's" 40th, "GH's" 50th in addition to Monty's lost video clip!
1. Most of us found Google a helping hand when Robin Meade took the stage. None of us knew who she was or why she was singing those awful songs during the Daytime Emmys. The more she sang, the worse it got. They could have stopped all the singing and not gone over by a half hour. It's as if the producers used Meade as a distraction from all the technical issues they experienced. Fail.
What grade would you give the 40th Annual Daytime Emmys?
Visit Soaps.com for 40th Annual Daytime Emmy Coverage such as live blogging, pre-Emmy primping, and red carpet photos and more.
Follow us! We're on Twitter @soapoperafan, and we invite you to "like" Soaps.com on Facebook for your daily soap dosage.
- Christine Fix