The Bold and the Beautiful - NEWS ROOM

In our 'The Bold and the Beautiful' News Room, Soaps.com keeps you up-to-date with the latest Soap Opera news on the net. We also feature interviews with the soap stars, as well as local appearances by the actors and actresses.

The Bold and the Beautiful Weekly Blog!

Friday, January 02 2009

A civil breakup. (Soaps.com)
    B&B Breakdown for the week of December 29.

I hope everyone had a wonderful and safe New Year’s! B&B was pretty good this week, offering glimpses of an interesting 2009, so let’s get right down to it!

Out With the Old

We’re getting past the grieving over Phoebe and moving into the New Year with compelling stories for everyone involved. Of course the pain of Phoebe’s death is sticking with everyone and shaping the decisions and actions of those close to her. After no follow up on certain storylines in the past, B&B is using Phoebe’s death as a springboard for new ones. So we will see how the tragic event affects Rick, Ridge and Steffy’s future actions. And by bringing Pam back, Donna gets a new dilemma in the form of her tormentor that may affect her newly returned happiness with Eric. One of the best things soap operas can do is to end one story arc by beginning a new one for the characters involved and B&B did this extremely well in my opinion.

2009 also looks like it will bring good things for Bridget, Owen, Katie and Nick; people we haven’t seen much of in awhile. For more on that, check out our Spoilers page.

No Remorse
    I was appalled at Eric this week. The gall of him to turn his dumping Stephanie around on her! He didn’t ever say I’m sorry or indicate that he felt bad about leading her on only to throw her to the side once again for Donna. This break up was not her fault at all and he dredged up their past like she was the one to betray him. Since his coma, Stephanie has been by his side loving and supporting him and he thanked her by throwing Donna’s love for him in her face. I really thought she meant it, when she told him she was done with him, but then New Year’s Eve rolled around. More on that later though.

Even though I thought Stephanie should have been angrier with Eric afterwards, I liked the scene where they told their family they were separating again. It was funny and sweet as they finished each other’s sentences and Stephanie made Eric his coffee just the way he likes it. It would be so great if they could remain friends and engage in honest, yet snide banter. The other great part about that scene was that Stephanie finally told Felicia not to worry about her parents, but to focus on her own love life. It’s about time! Now Felicia just needs to get one.

Guilt Looks Good on Him
    While I’m disgusted with Eric, I’m liking Rick more and more. I can feel his pain over Phoebe and believe he wants to do whatever he can to help Ridge heal. Ridge and Brooke confronting Rick was also fantastic. Ridge expressed his outrage at Rick in a dignified manner, while Rick took it like a man and agreed to do whatever Ridge wanted. Of course his face also revealed (to the viewers at least) his guilt over having just made out with Ridge’s other daughter whom Ridge doesn’t want Rick anywhere near. Great stuff.

The next supercouple? (Soaps.com)
    Speaking of, Rick and Steffy are just hot. I know a lot of you think it’s gross and in the real world it is, but this is tiny L.A. we’re talking about! There are only so many available people in that small city you know, so lovers must be recycled and kept in the family. While it’s not acceptable in our daily lives, it’s okay in the soap bubble, so I’m all for it, because these two have great chemistry and Steffy is bringing out something in Rick that I’m really responding to.

Questionable New Year’s Eve Behavior
    Yes, I loved this week, but there were a couple of things that didn’t quite fit during the New Year’s Eve episode.

First, why would Stephanie want to participate in her and Eric’s New Year’s Eve tradition when he just dumped her for Donna? Didn’t she just tell him she was done with him and for him not to come back to her? Her showing up with a bottle of champagne looking for a trip down memory lane kind of undermines her bold stance. And Eric’s same toast to Donna that he used on Stephanie was lame.

Second, Rick and Steffy flirting that night felt out of place to me. They were acting like any normal burgeoning couple, not two people who are grieving the loss of a sister/ex-girlfriend and who shouldn’t be together in a romantic way at all. When Rick said he couldn’t wait for 2008 to be over it was like he had a bad year because of the economy or something. There should have been more angst in that scene instead of all flirtation. It’s too soon for that.

The Showstopper

I’m not sure why the bikini is so fabulous, but I did enjoy the fashion show. It was edited to be fast paced and touched on many of the other storyline elements: Stephanie and Eric’s breakup; Pam and Donna’s feud; Steffy and Rick’s longing for each other; Katie and Nick’s engagement; and Ridge and Brooke’s wedding. I would however have liked them to show Ridge get a little ruffled upon seeing Rick on stage; Taylor making a comment about why she was there while still in deep grief over Phoebe, like ‘life has to go on’, or something; and an awkward/guilty interaction between Steffy and Marcus. I’m probably just nit picking, because I did enjoy Friday’s episode, but adding just a couple of comments or looks would have added more depth and furthered other stories along.

One other note on the fashion show: Why was Rick congratulated on the success of the show when the only time we saw him work on it was on New Year’s Eve? The whole time he’s been in charge of FC, he’s been planning Ridge’s downfall or grieving for Phoebe, so why the kudos?

Looking To the Futur
    e
    If this week is any indication, 2009 should be an interesting year. I’m optimistic and looking forward to some good stuff to come out of Phoebe’s death and Pam’s return. How about you? I love your feedback so feel free to agree or disagree with me below!

- Lori Wilson

Posted by ConnieM. at Friday, January 02 2009 04:48 PM

Lori~I was also appalled at Eric for his tossing aside his Stephanie for another stroll with Donna. As you said, he showed "no remorse" whatsoever. Eric is so different from yesteryear.
    The screen loves Rick and Steffy!!! They are "hot"!
    And am looking forward to some more "Pammy"!
    2009 should prove exciting!!

Posted by ricoebefan01 at Friday, January 02 2009 05:00 PM

Lori,
    I so agree with everything you're saying. Rick and Steffy just keep getting hotter. I love how Steffy looked at Rick today, it definitely showed the connection. I can't wait to see where that goes. One thing you didn't mention was why was Jackie at the fashion show today? I mean she is the competition still right, doesn't she and Nick still own what was Spectra?? Poor Stephanie I can't believe Eric just threw her away like trash, I've lost all respect for Eric. Enough is enough with this whole Ridge and Brooke engagement/marriage storyline its gotten really old, they've been engaged on and off for over 2 years maybe more. Hopefully 2009 brings much happiness for Taylor cause she hasn't had much of that in 2008. I would also love to see a romantic storyline either between Owen and Bridget or Owen and Felicia, they both need a man LOL. I also say let 2009 be the year they bring back some old characters like Deacon, Massimo, or even the other Forrester daughter Kristen and her husband Tony. All and all I can't wait to see what 2009 brings. Sorry for rambling I just love B&B so much and I hope to oneday write for B&B. Thanks for listening.

Posted by ricoebefan01 at Friday, January 02 2009 05:02 PM

Hey ConnieM,
    I agree with you. I can't wait to see what 2009 brings, hopefully a lot more with Rick and Steffy LOL

Posted by juliet at Saturday, January 03 2009 10:22 AM

all i have to say is that this show is going downhill fast bring in some new people or get rid of some of the old ones

this show is disgusting & degrading the writer's need to turn this show around.

when is a true genuine love relationship approaching?
    where are all the fashion show rivalries with the beautiful gowns?
    when is everyone going to quit sleeping & sharing everyone?

this show needs help bad cause they will be losing alot of viewers including me

writers get your act together & clean up the show

Posted by wiste1920 at Saturday, January 03 2009 11:10 AM

Lori great rant i totally agree with you!!
    Rick and Steffy at first i was saying No no no!!! and around the second kiss i was saying YES yes yes!!!!

Posted by simscb at Saturday, January 03 2009 02:44 PM

Wow! When I first saw Rick and Steffy kiss, I thought, "What the H***?" Since then, I see the attraction there. They do have great chemistry and are so HOT. Wonder what will happen when Marcus proposes, since he does not know about their connection. I don't think she will say yes. She is getting closer to Rick as each day passes. I will feel sorry for Marcus if she drops him for Rick.

Stefanie never should have gone to toast in the New Year with Eric. How heartbreaking that was for her! Then, she had to eavesdrop as he made "their" toast to Donna. Stephanie needs to have Massimo back in her life. If not him, then some other man who can make her happy. Will Eric be jealous??

Glad Pam is back. She will continue to bring chaos to Donna's life. I felt sorry for her for the first time when Eric gave Donna credit for the bikini set that Pam made. No wonder she got in Donna's face. She had every right to be angry as hell. Eric never gave Donna the chance to tell him because he was too busy telling her how wonderful she looked.

Time for Taylor to have a great guy in her life, since she has gone through so much heartache. Of course, after she has gotten over the shock of Phoebe's death, she will be ready to move on. However, the grieving process takes time.

I wish the writers would bring new characters to the show instead of recycling the same ones over and over. Another family would be great.

Posted by ricoebefan01 at Saturday, January 03 2009 02:50 PM

Simscb,
    We agree on all fronts LOL. Poor Marcus but hey the chemistry between him and Steffy fizzled fast. Bring in someone new for him, heat up his character again. I LOVE Rick and Steffy together so much. I called them getting together way back when I found out Phoebe was getting killed off LOL. I don't see Steffy and Marcus getting married but I hear she will say something unexpected and then change her mind. I can't wait to see what happens.

Posted by JeanetteS at Saturday, January 03 2009 04:27 PM

I think Eric is a dirty OLD man and he should stay with Stephanie,where he belongs and quit acting like he's in his thirties again.How many of Brooks family is he going to bed down with?????

Posted by juliet at Saturday, January 03 2009 05:38 PM

actually the writers could do us a favor & cancel the show i sure as heck won't miss it.

hope it does get cancelled cause thier wasting alot of good talent on incest & keeping it in the family

Posted by ricoebefan01 at Saturday, January 03 2009 05:53 PM

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but I'd like to know where you see incest? Rick and Steffy are not related, Ridge is really Massimo's son not Eric's so that means Ridge and Rick aren't brothers. In real life it would be really gross for this to happen but its soap world so its very predictable.