List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Bold and the Beautiful - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Bold and the Beautiful Forum :: " A. Beacon. of. Light."

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

CLOSED: " A. Beacon. of. Light."

Started by talk at 2012/10/06 04:48AM
    Latest post: 2012/10/28 12:55PM, Views: 19099, Replies: 548
    « 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 » »| page:
    #121   2012/10/08 01:11PM
    Re:
    talk

Quote JessieChan:
    Quote talk:
    Quote JessieChan: One thing I don't get about this show, is this - if they want to promote values and teen abstinence, why does hope end up going through so much pain because of it? It's obvious that if she didn't save herself for marriage and had a nice sex life with Liam when steffy first laid an eye on him, Liam wouldn't be even looking at steffy. So the show actually tells you that saving yourself for marriage is a bad idea...

JessieChan... ...Welcome to my thread. So glad you could get a word in edge-wise... .lol.
    I guess I would have to say that mostly soaps could care less about what message they send out (more the pity). They concentrate on coninuous entertainment (sometimes not so entertaining). And in our environment that means a lot of nasty business conducted by nasty people. Just saying!
    I don't agree w/it...but it is what it is.

Hi, thank you!

I guess B&B really doesn't stick to values and morals, in other soaps like "Days of our lives" there's a lot of talking about god and family values and saving yourself for marriage (even though people scheme and get married and devorced every couple of months). I thought this was the reason behind hope's strong values but I gues soaps really don't make a good example.

B&B did make a good example of just that...in the form of Hope & a few others... but they generally tear down what they once built up.... It is a problem w/ the long range planning of the governing administration of B&B (I don't think they have a longe range plan, personally) & the writing is not too consistant (one day or even a few days in a row they do a great job of it..then..all of a sudden, they mess up & write something that makes no sense to what happened before. They love to go back & forth in s/l's to keep the viewer quessing or up one day & down the next. It also contributes to the polarization of ones' favorite character.
    Even saying all that, B&B is the only soap I watch since Guiding Light was taken off the air. I won't leave it as long as they do not totally ruin my fav.

#122   2012/10/08 02:21PM
    Re:
    LoganH8tr

Quote talk:
    Quote LoganH8tr:
    Quote Ruby Scarlett:
    Quote LoganH8tr: I want to know what horrible childhood Hope had?

She had both parents.

She was rich and never had to have a job while going to school.

Her mother favored her over all other kids. Brooke acts like Bridget doesn't even exist. It's apparent Brooke loves her above all her kids (well in the way Brooke loves anyway)

She has her mother shelter her and fight all her battles.

She has never had to pay a bill in her life.

She got a great jot handed to her without any formal education.

What freaking adversity did she have to suffer? It's not like she had some step mother come in and ship her butt off to boarding school and made her feel unwelcomed in her own home.

She never knew what it was like to have her family constantly ripped apart by another woman.

Even though she didn't have Deacon in her life, she had a "Daddy" who treated her like his own flesh and blood.

Having a hard childhood is living in an abusive household, having drug addicts for parents who abuse their kids or growing up in poverty, where the child goes hungry. Saying that Hope had a hard childhood is a mockery to those that really did.

The most Hope had to endure was her mother having numerous men in and out of her life, that would have caused some self respect issues and possible neglect.

I mean dang...someone can support whoever the heck they want, but at least post accurate stuff about the character.

Adversity my foot.

The first six paragraphs you wrote also apply to Steffy. She had both parents most of the time . . . except when Taylor was DEAD!!!!! Her Dad was always there for her - no matter if there was a divorce or not. She was rich and never had to have a job while going to school. Her mother obviously favors her . . . look how she gave her the 25% of shares and she has been too stingy to share with Thomas. Her mother has sheltered her and fought her battles and has given her poor advise. She has never had to pay a bill in her life - she's rich, you know . . . money handed to her. She has never strugged. She has a great job handed to her without earning it, we don't really know what education she has . . . and she hardly works!!! Runs around all the time playing at getting Liam!! What adversity has she had to face??? Hope did have her family torn apart every time Taylor managed to get Ridge back! But thank goodness - Ridge would wake up and go back to Brooke! Ridge always treated Steffy as his flesh and blood - she was just to bitter and selfish to see it. Hope has had a lot of adversity in her life - and probably the main one is rotten Steffy!!!!

Why are you bringing Steffy into a post I made about Hope? Since you did, I'll humor it and answer.

Did I say that Steffy had a horrible childhood because she was poor? NO!

She had to deal with the stress of Brooke in her life and the mental issues Brooke caused her and her family. I NEVER said she had a horrible childhood PERTAINING TO BEING POOR. So I don't know why you came in with all your exclamation points and attacked me.

Steffy had a hell of alot more to deal with than Hope. She had to deal with the death of her mother and being shipped off to boarding school by the evil step mother.

Being rich isn't a crime and yes, it makes life easier. You bringing Steffy's wealth into this proves NO point, since no one came on here with the illogical statement and said "Steffy had a horrible childhood because she was poor". People were stating in this thread that Hope had a horrible childhood and I gave my opinion on certain facts that disprove that statement....one being...Hope was not poor.

Steffy had a horrible childhood because of Brooke. Shoot...Bridget and Rick had a horrible childhood because of Brooke.

And debating the point that Steffy doesn't have a formal education is moot. You see...I know what age Steffy was when she returned. I graduated college at that age. People I knew, were pursuing Masters at that age. It' doesn't take a rocket science to know that the girl has some kind of formal education and CHOSE to go to college vs not and staying home to stick her nasty tongue down some random boy's throat.

And Hope knew the reason Katie gave her that line and made her spokesperson, and in true Logan fashion, sopped it up, took the credit for it and didn't blink twice. It wasn't even Hope's concept but she took the credit for it, lied and said she "conceptualized HFTF".

When Steffy was offered by her father an exec position, she declined and started in the basement. She was then promoted to PR by Katie. She then worked different depts and even worked over in Forrester International for awhile.

If she is contrasting to make a point about Hope, I, as the OP, sees nothing wrong in it. And I believe that I made mention, in an earlier post, about Stef fans who are also posting Stefs' name in my thread. I pointed it out but I did not repremand them & I don't care for you trying to repremand other posters for the same thing. No double standard in this thread.
    I will say that Stef is to be comlimented for working herself up in her profession.

Since Stef started chasing Liam....her profession has moved from the backseat to the trunk.

LMAO to "contrast"....honey that's not contrasting...that's deflection.

Rather than rebuttal with a post about Hope NOT having a good childhood, the response was how wonderful Steffy's childhood was.

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2012/10/08 02:23PM
    #123   2012/10/08 02:26PM
    Re:
    LoganH8tr

Quote talk:
    Quote saclean:
    Quote LoganH8tr:
    Quote talk:
    Quote LoganH8tr: Wait...what now????

A Beacon of Light? Bwhahahahahahahahahaha...more like "A Pathway to Destruction".

Hope reminds me of one of those religious cult leaders that pontificates their ideals on impressionable people, to further their own agenda, but of course don't live up to their own standards and the fake trash they are preaching.

David Koresh from Waco, Texas comes to mind. Now she isn't gonna be responsible for the killing of hundreds or thousands, but her mannerisms, actions, speeches, etc...she acts like the leader of some religious cult.

Saying one thing and doing another. The more she preaches she has morals, the more I am convinced she has none.

If Hope had morals, she wouldn't need to say it all the time...it's like she is trying to convince herself more than anyone.

She is manipulative, but in a passive, aggressive way. No Becaon of Light...it's all a facade.

Hope is MY beacon of light.
    No facade, it is genuine.
    Hope is one of the few genuine characters on B&B.
    I will follow Hope because SHE brought me to B&B (as a permanent viewer over a year ago.
    Have seen nothing in all that time to make me want to change my mind... in fact, B&B would have one less viewer if Hope was to ever leave B&B.

Oh ok. I could have sworn you had said that you were a neutral fan back then.

She did lean that way, in the beginning, as far as I can remember.

I'm with you LH, I don't get the title of practically sainthood for Hope. I don't see any learning curve that she has had to endure. I mean, she was a child for many years, and then they aged her to who she is now. There was no drama in the characters life, only what people speculate. The only thing Hope talked about with the Dr. was her Mom and the men that were in and out of her life. She did have some good father figures, like Nick mostly. They did create Ridge as a father-figure, but I don't remember seeing that on screen so much. Hope was a happy child, for what they showed us. She has grown up to be a spoiled entitled brat.

She creates her own drama, and then can't live with the decisions that she makes. She has never stuck to any choice that she has made, and justifies her actions blaming it on other people. She still wants Liam, even though Liam DOES LOVE two different women. The only reason she isn't with him, isn't so much because he went out clubbing, it's because Rick lied to her. She saw the video and still wanted to marry Liam. She has zero pride, just a lot of hurt feelings, and she is playing hard to get....which backfired on her.

It's time that Hope took responsibility for the actions that she can control, and not always taking the easy way out.

I never said Hope was a saint...Just up next to Stef...Hope seems to be a saint.

Ummm...isn't that saying the same thing...that YOU VIEW her as a saint? You may not have said it before, but you have now.

The "seems" denotes that someone has an interpretation...you being the subject doing the interpreting denotes that you view Hope as a saint.

#124   2012/10/08 02:27PM
    Re:
    mema5

The Bold and the Beautiful would be an awful place for anyone no matter what their age to find any role models. There is not one character that I would hold up to my child, whether young or an adult, as a role model. Soap operas are for entertainment and for me each time Bell takes on some type of moral or public service message, I beleive the Bold and Beautiful (soap opera) suffers. If I want a moral lesson, I will go to church.

#125   2012/10/08 03:23PM
    Re:
    soapfan4

Quote mema5: The Bold and the Beautiful would be an awful place for anyone no matter what their age to find any role models. There is not one character that I would hold up to my child, whether young or an adult, as a role model. Soap operas are for entertainment and for me each time Bell takes on some type of moral or public service message, I beleive the Bold and Beautiful (soap opera) suffers. If I want a moral lesson, I will go to church.

The unfortunate fact is that most young people do look to TV for their source of role models, now parents in the home should definitely monitor what their kids watch and be the ultimate role model but sometimes that does not happen in today's world.

I know that I have seen 11 and 12 year old girls on both JMW's twitter and KM's facebook saying that they look up to their characters....should this be happening....no...but it does....

#126   2012/10/08 06:37PM
    Re:
    talk

Quote LoganH8tr:
    Quote talk:
    Quote saclean:
    Quote LoganH8tr:
    Quote talk:

A Beacon of Light? Bwhahahahahahahahahaha...more like "A Pathway to Destruction".

Hope reminds me of one of those religious cult leaders that pontificates their ideals on impressionable people, to further their own agenda, but of course don't live up to their own standards and the fake trash they are preaching.

David Koresh from Waco, Texas comes to mind. Now she isn't gonna be responsible for the killing of hundreds or thousands, but her mannerisms, actions, speeches, etc...she acts like the leader of some religious cult.

Saying one thing and doing another. The more she preaches she has morals, the more I am convinced she has none.

If Hope had morals, she wouldn't need to say it all the time...it's like she is trying to convince herself more than anyone.

She is manipulative, but in a passive, aggressive way. No Becaon of Light...it's all a facade.

I will follow Hope because SHE brought me to B&B (as a permanent viewer over a year ago.
    Have seen nothing in all that time to make me want to change my mind... in fact, B&B would have one less viewer if Hope was to ever leave B&B.

I'm with you LH, I don't get the title of practically sainthood for Hope. I don't see any learning curve that she has had to endure. I mean, she was a child for many years, and then they aged her to who she is now. There was no drama in the characters life, only what people speculate. The only thing Hope talked about with the Dr. was her Mom and the men that were in and out of her life. She did have some good father figures, like Nick mostly. They did create Ridge as a father-figure, but I don't remember seeing that on screen so much. Hope was a happy child, for what they showed us. She has grown up to be a spoiled entitled brat.

She creates her own drama, and then can't live with the decisions that she makes. She has never stuck to any choice that she has made, and justifies her actions blaming it on other people. She still wants Liam, even though Liam DOES LOVE two different women. The only reason she isn't with him, isn't so much because he went out clubbing, it's because Rick lied to her. She saw the video and still wanted to marry Liam. She has zero pride, just a lot of hurt feelings, and she is playing hard to get....which backfired on her.

It's time that Hope took responsibility for the actions that she can control, and not always taking the easy way out.

I never said Hope was a saint...Just up next to Stef...Hope seems to be a saint.

Ummm...isn't that saying the same thing...that YOU VIEW her as a saint? You may not have said it before, but you have now.

The "seems" denotes that someone has an interpretation...you being the subject doing the interpreting denotes that you view Hope as a saint.

If that is what you believe...far be it from me to change your mind.
    The truth that I know is that Hope is a very "real" character on B&B, and she makes mistakes (because that is what it means to be real). She has a loving heart and a conscience so she is sorry about the mistakes she makes and tries to rectify them, learn from them & make amends in whatever way she can.
    Hope doesn't go out of her way to hurt others. She has a kind heart.
    What I said was that up next to Stef.... Hope would be on her way to being a saint when you compare the two of them.
    Stefs' intention is often pretty evil. If I compare Hope to Carolin, I would say they are pretty even, neither one sets out w/any evil intentions.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2012/10/08 06:44PM
    #127   2012/10/08 10:33PM
    Re:
    Trisha555

Quote talk:
    Quote fortaylor: talk, to each his own. However, I tend to use real ppl as Beacons of Light and the one I look to the most lived 2,000 years ago.

Me, too, fortaylor, Me too... He is indeed my ultimate Beacon of Light. I just remembered what you said to me once about offending people that don't believe the same way as I do. So I welcome comments from those people of other persuations to post here to their hearts content. They are as welcome to make mention of their faith as I am about mine.

Modified 2 times(s), last time at: 2012/10/09 09:10AM
    #128   2012/10/09 03:26AM
    Re:
    saclean

Quote talk:
    Quote saclean:
    Quote LoganH8tr:
    Quote talk:

Sainthood or beacon of light, what's the difference, plus I said practically, which is close, but not quite! Which, by the way, I don't agree with fake people being saints or beacons....not to me!

I also tried to keep Steffy out of this thread, because I thought it was about Hope, for the most part.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2012/10/09 03:28AM
    #129   2012/10/09 03:44AM
    Re:
    saclean

Quote talk:
    Quote saclean:
    Quote LoganH8tr:
    Quote saclean:
    Quote LoganH8tr:
    Quote talk:

Thank you saclean!

I don't understand that title of "sainthood" either. She is a child, that has not experienced life, nor makes the right choices. She doesn't even rise when faced with adversity, but rather pops pills and BIOS.

Although Stephanie and Taylor are no saints....if I HAD...and I MEAN HAD...to choose A FICTIONAL character who overcame REAL adversity it would be one of those 2 women. They have lived a lot longer than Hope, faced many trials and tribulations....abuse being one of them, loss, grief, substance abuse, and are still alive, well and thriving today. Not to mention, they worked their way up and became successful career women as well. Both can live their life without needing a man to define them.

I wouldn't put any title of sainthood, on ANY teenager, REAL or REEL...unless I knew for sure that they were GOD on earth.

I can see maybe a young girl, like around 10 or so looking up to Hope, but not someone my age. I can see a 10 year old looking up to her because she doesn't know any better, and does not understands what sex, adultery and drug abuse is. Plus you know how 10 year olds are....unless you explain ti them or they are allowed to read certain magazines, all they see are pretty girls, wearing pretty clothes, making speeches.

Too funny, about a 10 year old girl looking up at Hope. That is about the mentality that Hope would inspire, because they do lack experience in the real world. Yes, Stephanie and Taylor, have overcome much more and have been successful. I was thinking along the age or a little older than Hope, is why I picked Bridget. Being that she came from the same family, but was able to be a Dr. and a Designer and went through the crap she did with Brooke and Deacon. I think she overcame a lot and was successful.

It still baffles me, as I've stated earlier in this post, that anyone would be in awe of any character on TV. I root for the ones I like, while I'm on the board and watching the show. Y&R, it changes constantly for me, on who I like. B&B, I'm pretty constant in the ones, I like and don't like. I surely wouldn't be looking at any character to enlighten my real life....I have many other avenues where I get good vibes and people I admire. That's why the concept of this thread baffles me on putting someone in such high regard, that isn't a real person.

If Hope can be a "Beacon of Light" to even one person (me) Then she has fulfilled a higher purpose for B&B.

I get my inspiration from most avenues I come in contact with. It can be a soap, movies, music, people who come into or through my life, even the occational commercial. Inspiration is everywhere. You just have to recognize it when it is in front of you.

I can honestly say, that I can't wrap my mind around people on TV inspiring me. Watching TV is entertainment for me. People in my real life, have inspired me for years. People in real life are flawed and make mistakes.....Soaps, that is all that they are about....is making wrong choices and doing the unbelieveable. I guess the bottom line, for me, is that actors are people....the characters they play in any genre, are not real. They are doing a job that they are paid to do, and doing it to their best ability, I presume....they don't give me clarity or a boost in my life....I can live without them. All I can say, is that some of their stories, can hit close to home, and people can relate to their issues....other than that, to each your own, and whatever blows your hair back!

#130   2012/10/09 03:52AM
    Re:
    saclean

Quote talk:
    Quote saclean:
    Quote LoganH8tr:
    Quote saclean:
    Quote LoganH8tr:
    Quote talk:

Thank you saclean!

I don't understand that title of "sainthood" either. She is a child, that has not experienced life, nor makes the right choices. She doesn't even rise when faced with adversity, but rather pops pills and BIOS.

Although Stephanie and Taylor are no saints....if I HAD...and I MEAN HAD...to choose A FICTIONAL character who overcame REAL adversity it would be one of those 2 women. They have lived a lot longer than Hope, faced many trials and tribulations....abuse being one of them, loss, grief, substance abuse, and are still alive, well and thriving today. Not to mention, they worked their way up and became successful career women as well. Both can live their life without needing a man to define them.

I wouldn't put any title of sainthood, on ANY teenager, REAL or REEL...unless I knew for sure that they were GOD on earth.

I can see maybe a young girl, like around 10 or so looking up to Hope, but not someone my age. I can see a 10 year old looking up to her because she doesn't know any better, and does not understands what sex, adultery and drug abuse is. Plus you know how 10 year olds are....unless you explain ti them or they are allowed to read certain magazines, all they see are pretty girls, wearing pretty clothes, making speeches.

Too funny, about a 10 year old girl looking up at Hope. That is about the mentality that Hope would inspire, because they do lack experience in the real world. Yes, Stephanie and Taylor, have overcome much more and have been successful. I was thinking along the age or a little older than Hope, is why I picked Bridget. Being that she came from the same family, but was able to be a Dr. and a Designer and went through the crap she did with Brooke and Deacon. I think she overcame a lot and was successful.

It still baffles me, as I've stated earlier in this post, that anyone would be in awe of any character on TV. I root for the ones I like, while I'm on the board and watching the show. Y&R, it changes constantly for me, on who I like. B&B, I'm pretty constant in the ones, I like and don't like. I surely wouldn't be looking at any character to enlighten my real life....I have many other avenues where I get good vibes and people I admire. That's why the concept of this thread baffles me on putting someone in such high regard, that isn't a real person.

If what you say is true about Bridget, saclean, then It truly runs in the family. Hope has overcome a lot in her life & being she is so young..she has time to be even more successful.

But, in the end (end game), If a person is a good, loving, compassionate person who brings "LIGHT" to others... that is a life well lived.
    Better lived than someone who has made it to the top of a profession but brings misery to people around them.
    Some religions believe that a trespass against others is a mark of Karma that will have to be atoned for.
    But, of course, other religions have other doctrines... that is why the phrase different strokes for different folks is alive & doing well in this great country we live in.

Bridget was a comparison to the fact that if we are going to get in the heads of a soap character and what trials and tribulations that they have gone through.....Bridget has gone through a lot in her younger life, and has accomplished a lot.....again, I can't get past the fact, that they aren't real people. IMO, there is no hope for Hope, unless they write her in a way that changes my opinion of her character. I don't see her as a giving person, or one that puts others needs in front of her own. I see her very shallow and no depth to her personna.

I definitely don't want to go the religious route with you or anyone else. I have my beliefs, and it has nothing to do with soaps.

« 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list