recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Soaps.com - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: Democratic no bash part 2

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Democratic no bash part 2

Started by cats meow at 2009/01/29 02:32PM
    Latest post: 2013/08/19 05:32PM, Views: 605370, Replies: 6846
    « 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 » »| page:
    #6761   2013/01/02 10:15PM
    Re: Democratic no bash part 2
    OspreyGirl

Quote simplyirresistible:
    Quote OspreyGirl:
    Quote simplyirresistible:
    Quote OspreyGirl:
    Quote simplyirresistible: Deal made. Thank you President Obama. I was not worried for a minute. I knew you would come through for us even at the final hour. God Bless our President, a President that cares.

The Senate passed the bill, and it's now in the House of Reprehensibles....

Let's see how much crying and drinking and lying Boehner does today...geez, these people are fricking nuts!

The ball is in their court and it scares the sh!t out of them. Put up or shut up time guys.

The House GOP caved and the bill has finally passed!

Late Tuesday night, President Obama praised the House's passage of the Senate-approved fiscal cliff agreement to prevent a variety of tax hikes on middle class Americans.

The bill now heads to the president's desk. He thanked Vice President Joe Biden and all four congressional leaders for their work.

"Everybody worked very hard on this and I appreciate it," he said.

Obama called for additional deficit reduction in the form of "further reforms to our tax code" and spending cuts. But he reiterated his vow not to play games with the debt limit again.

"I will not have another debate with this Congress over whether or not they should pay the bills for laws they have already racked up," he said.

The approval rating of this Congress is the LOWEST of any Congress in history. Not that there is anyone who did not already know that.

What I don't understand is WHY would those who voted for the Teabaggers to be elected in the House are MAD about the fact that the ones they VOTED FOR believe in NO GOVERNMENT....so who are the dumb a@@es in this country---the teabaggers, the fools that voted for them, or both?

How could a reasonable minded person step into a voting booth and think that an idiot like Allen West is a competent and balanced politician?

It's absolutely criminal and the voters in America that voted for these obstructionist a-holes are to blame just as much as the idiots they placed into office.

How can anything get done RIGHT with these insane trolls in the Congress?

#6762   2013/01/03 07:45PM
    OspreyGirl

It's the Republican way. Whenever they fail, they always blame it on the other side. So it is with Speaker (maybe Former Speaker?) John Boehner, who is now refusing to engage in any one-on-one negotiations with President Obama ever again, no way, no how, he's done forever.

Via The Hill:

"Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) is signaling that at least one thing will change about his leadership during the 113th Congress: he’s telling Republicans he is done with private, one-on-one negotiations with President Obama.

During both 2011 and 2012, the Speaker spent weeks shuttling between the Capitol and the White House for meetings with the president in the hopes of striking a grand bargain on the deficit.

Those efforts ended in failure, leaving Boehner feeling burned by Obama and, at times, isolated within his conference.

In closed-door meetings since leaving the “fiscal cliff” talks two weeks ago, lawmakers and aides say the Speaker has indicated he is abandoning that approach for good and will return fully to the normal legislative process in 2013 — seeking to pass bills through the House that can then be adopted, amended or reconciled by the Senate.

"He is recommitting himself and the House to what we've done, which is working through regular order and letting the House work its will,” an aide to the Speaker told The Hill."

Personally, I think this is a good thing, but it is funny that Boehner announces it like somehow President Obama made him take that crappy Plan B bill to the floor, or that President Obama somehow twisted his arm into putting the Senate compromise bill out for a clean vote.

I guess President Obama also forced him to walk away from the table when they were just short of a deal. Twice.

In some ways, this bodes well for the debt ceiling vote. If Boehner stays true to his promise, he'll put a clean bill out and let the House debate and vote on it, with no negotiating, which is what the President has said needs to happen.

Or maybe Eric Cantor will oust him. Either way, he looks like the petulant fool that he is.

#6763   2013/01/04 05:15PM
    simplyirresi...

Congress is less popular than colonoscopies and used car salesmen. But, it's at least beating out Gonorrhea.... for now anyway.

#6764   2013/01/04 09:56PM
    OspreyGirl

Quote simplyirresistible: Congress is less popular than colonoscopies and used car salesmen. But, it's at least beating out Gonorrhea.... for now anyway.

OH SNAP!!!

#6765   2013/01/04 10:20PM
    OspreyGirl

It's almost too predictable. Sean Hannity, being all righteous and slamming people who benefit from government programs as being like animals dependent on humans for food. The thing is, Hannity is very, very selective about who those people are.

Here's the punchline:

"Apparently there is a sign. National Park Service, the US Department of the Interior, and it says "Please do not feed the animals. And the reason: The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not take care of themselves.

Well, I -- - "You don't want to help people who are poor. And starving. See?" No, it's -- the dependency issue is a lot different. You teach people how to fish, how to be independent, you create an environment where jobs are plentiful, versus people being dependent on government."

I doubt, for example, that he included Big Agrobusiness and Big Oil while he was busy slamming people. Their billions in annual subsidies are nothing if not a dependency. Look what just happened with the farm bill! Instead of accepting the cuts that Senator Debbie Stabenow had carefully made to the fat-cat subsidies, they put the pork-laden one in place instead.

This is where conservatives like Hannity really show their true colors. Ordinary people who receive benefits like Medicare and Social Security which they paid for all their lives or who are in need of temporary assistance while unemployed, are scorned and ridiculed as dependent bloodsuckers.

God forbid Exxon/Mobil, AT&T, Verizon, and those corporate farmers would suffer the same scorn. Oh, no. They're the job creators. Sure they are.

Hmmmm...I wonder how many of those poor, sick and elderly GOP voters are happy to be called animals...

#6766   2013/01/05 04:16PM
    simplyirresi...

DIVIDED AND PISSED OFF

Republican Party Seems As Divided, Angry As Ever

BOSTON — The Republican Party seems as divided and angry as ever.

Infighting has penetrated the highest levels of the House GOP leadership. Long-standing geographic tensions have increased, pitting endangered Northeastern Republicans against their colleagues from other parts of the country. Enraged tea party leaders are threatening to knock off dozens of Republicans who supported a measure that raised taxes on the nation's highest earners.

"People are mad as hell. I'm right there with them," Amy Kremer, chairman of the Tea Party Express, said late last week, declaring that she has "no confidence" in the party her members typically support. Her remarks came after GOP lawmakers agreed to higher taxes but no broad spending cuts as part of a deal to avert the "fiscal cliff."

"Anybody that voted `yes' in the House should be concerned" about primary challenges in 2014, she said.

At the same time, one of the GOP's most popular voices, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, blasted his party's "toxic internal politics" after House Republicans initially declined to approve disaster relief for victims of Superstorm Sandy. He said it was "disgusting to watch" their actions and he faulted the GOP's most powerful elected official, House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio.

The GOP's internal struggles to figure out what it wants to be were painfully exposed after Mitt Romney's loss to President Barack Obama on Nov. 6, but they have exploded in recent days. The fallout could extend well beyond the party's ability to win policy battles on Capitol Hill. It could hamper Republicans as they examine how to regroup and attract new voters after a disheartening election season.

To a greater degree than the Democrats, the Republican Party has struggled with internal divisions for the past few years. But these latest clashes have seemed especially public and vicious.

"It's disappointing to see infighting in the party," said Ryan Williams, a Republican operative and former Romney aide. "It doesn't make us look like we're in a position to challenge the president and hold him accountable to the promises he made."

What's largely causing the dissension? A lack of a clear GOP leader with a single vision for the party.

Republicans haven't had a consistent standard-bearer since President George W. Bush left office in 2008 with the nation on the edge of a financial collapse. His departure, along with widespread economic concerns, gave rise to a tea party movement that infused the GOP's conservative base with energy. The tea party is credited with broad Republican gains in the 2010 congressional elections, but it's also blamed for the rising tension between the pragmatic and ideological wings of the party – discord that festers still.

2012 presidential nominee Romney never fully captured the hearts of his party's most passionate voters. But his tenure atop the party was short-lived; since Election Day, he's disappeared from the political world.

Those Republican leaders who remain engaged – Christie, Boehner, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky and Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus – are showing little sign of coming together.

Those on the GOP's deep bench of potential 2016 presidential contenders, including Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan, and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, have begun staking out their own, sometimes conflicting ideas for the party.

"Whenever you lose the White House, the party's going to have ups and downs," said Republican strategist Ron Kaufman. "My guess is when the spending issues come up again, the Democrats' warts will start to show as well."

The GOP's fissures go beyond positions on issues. They also are geographical.

Once a strong voice in the party, moderate Republicans across the Northeast are nearly extinct. Many of those who remain were frustrated in recent days when Boehner temporarily blocked a vote on a disaster relief bill.

Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., said campaign donors in the Northeast who give the GOP after the slight "should have their head examined."

Boehner, who just won a second term as speaker, quickly scheduled a vote on a narrower measure for Friday after the new Congress convened, and it rushed out a $9.7 billion measure to help pay flood insurance claims.

Weary Republican strategists are trying to be hopeful about the GOP's path ahead, and liken the current situation to party's struggles after Obama's 2008 election. At the time, some pundits questioned the viability of the Republican Party. But it came roaring back two years later, thanks largely to the tea party.

"If we have learned anything from the fiscal cliff fiasco, conservatives discovered we need to stand firm, and stand together, on our principles from beginning to end," said Republican strategist Alice Stewart. "It's frustrating to see the GOP drop the ball and turn a position of true compromise into total surrender. The Democrats succeeded in their strategy of divide and conquer."

www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/05/republican-party_n_2415552.html

#6767   2013/01/08 05:41AM
    OspreyGirl

Republicans Have a Habit of Blocking Disaster Relief for Americans

The disaster: Hurricane Katrina

The fallout: Within 10 days of the storm hitting New Orleans in 2005, Congress votes on a fast-tracked bill allocating $51.5 billion in relief, including $11.5 billion in block grants to Louisiana and Mississippi, and billions for levees, roads, bridges, and schools. Eleven House Republicans, including New Jersey Rep. Scott Garrett, vote against the bill, citing concerns about oversight and largess. Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) calls his "nay" vote the best vote he ever cast. A subsequent push to allocate funds for repairs to the I-10 bridge across Lake Pontchartrain comes undone when Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) threatens to resign if his $453 million earmark for two rural bridges is not included. (Stevens justifies his opposition in part by noting that in Alaska, when a town is crippled by a natural disaster, they simply relocate.)

The disaster: Hurricane Ike

The fallout: In 2010, Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) introduces legislation to extend a deadline for state officials to spend disaster relief funds in Gulf Coast communities. Delays in the appropriation process had meant that some agencies only had a few months to spend money that had been nominally available for two years. The House Republican leadership determines that Texas is dragging its feet and kills the bill—which simply extends the deadline and makes new expentidures—in committee.

The disaster: 9/11

The fallout: Congress ultimately approves $4.2 billion to cover medical expenses and provide compensation for first responders and cleanup crews suffering from the effects of inhaling toxic particles at Ground Zero. Republicans block it for a year, before finally approving it during the lame duck session in 2010. Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas) typified his caucus' critique: "This legislation as written creates a huge $8.4 billion slush fund paid by taxpayers that is open to abuse, fraud and waste." Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), meanwhile, warned that it "would create a new health care entitlement." Reps. Scott Garrett (R-N.J.) and Chris Lee (R-N.Y.) are the only two members of the New York–New Jersey delegation to oppose the measure. Although quick to blame Democrats for obstructing the bill's progress, Peter King acknowledges his own party's intransigence in an interview on MSNBC: "I have said throughout this, going back to five years ago, we would be lucky to get 24, 25 Republican votes. This is not supported by the Republican Party. I have broken with the party on this."

The disaster: Joplin, Mo. tornadoes

The fallout: Days after a massive tornado hits western Missouri in 2011, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) pledges to block any disaster relief legislation that isn't entirely offset with spending cuts—earning him rebukes from Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour and Donald Trump.

The disaster: Hurricane Irene, Tropical Storm Lee, Mississippi River flooding, Texas wildfires, and the Joplin tornado.

The fallout: When cash-strapped FEMA runs low on funds to pay for Hurricane Irene in 2011, it redirects funds that were originally meant to go to Joplin, which had been flattened by a tornado three months earlier. The Senate proposed $7 billion to refill FEMA's coffers; the House aims to keep it to $3.7 billion. Republicans filibuster the bill in the Senate. It subsequently passes the Senate but dies in the House, which never voted on the Senate version. Foreshadowing what would happen one year later with Hurricane Sandy aid, New Jersey Republican Reps. Chris Smith and Rodney Frelinghuysen both pressure Boehner to approve the funding. (Update: Congress eventually approved the $7 billion package and President Obama signed it into law that December.)

Country first...right?

#6768   2013/01/08 07:41PM
    OspreyGirl

There is a special place in hell for people who can't spare the extra dime to make sure people have health care, and this franchise owner is no exception. As if it's not bad enough that employees don't make enough to live, now their employer is telling them to die and die quickly, too.

An owner of nine Nebraska Wendy's stores just can't manage to cover employees under the Affordable Care Act, and rather than pay the penalty, he's just slashing their hours:

"The company has announced that all non-management positions will have their hours reduced to 28 a week. Gary Burdette, Vice President of Operations for the local franchise, says the cuts are coming because the new Affordable Health Care Act requires employers to offer health insurance to employees working 32-38 hours a week. Under the current law they are not considered full time and that as a small business owner, he can't afford to stay in operation and pay for everyone's health insurance.

There are 11 Wendy's restaurants in the metro. “It has a huge effect on me and pretty much everybody that I work with,” says Growbeck, who understands the reasoning and says other part-timers at other fast-food restaurants are facing the same problem. “I'm hoping that I can get some sort of promotion because then I would get my hours, but everybody is shooting for that because of the hours being cut.”

Wendy's isn't somewhere I go anyway, but if I did, I think I'd stop going there after this. Especially if I lived in Omaha.

Another reason not to eat the salty garbage shoveled out the window of this alleged restaurant. With Chik Fil-a, and Papa Johns falling off the menu for progressives we may be able to just let the Repugs eat themselves to death.

Well we can hope...

#6769   2013/01/08 07:48PM
    OspreyGirl

On his show Monday night, The Daily Show host Jon Stewart lashed out at Republicans who opposed funding for Hurricane Sandy relief.

House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) brought rebuke from within his own party after failing to hold a vote on Sandy relief before the 112th Congress ended. Though the House of Representatives later passed the non-controversial legislation, 67 Republicans voted against it, including Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI).

“This is just a simple down the middle, black and white, cut and dry, warm cup of what would Jesus or any other human being that is not an a@@hole do, and you blew it,” Stewart remarked.

Ryan said he opposed the disaster relief funds because the legislation contained “pork-barrel spending.”

“It’s one f@cking page,” Stewart said, aghast. “It’s two paragraphs that add 9.7 billion to the national flood insurance program and nothing else. There is as much pork in here as in the mini-fridge in the break-room at PETA. There is no pork in this thing!”

Here's the video:

www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-january-7-2013/c--k-block-you-on-the-hurricane

WOW! Give them hell, Jon....LOVE IT!

#6770   2013/01/09 07:34PM
    OspreyGirl

So much for that takeover....LMAO...

Over the past four years, political pundits (especially on the right) have been hailing the Teabaggers as some great new force in American politics. But it was obvious to most of us from the very beginning that the Tea Party wasn't a new movement at all -- it was just a convenient rebrand of the GOP rump in the wake of the catastrophic failures of the Bush/Cheney administration.

Either way, the Tea Party is toast.

Views of the Tea Party movement are at their lowest point ever, with voters for the first time evenly divided when asked to match the views of the average Tea Party member against those of the average member of Congress. Only eight percent (8%) now say they are members of the Tea Party, down from a high of 24% in April 2010 just after passage of the national health care law.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that only 30% of Likely U.S. Voters now have a favorable opinion of the Tea Party. Half (49%) of voters have an unfavorable view of the movement. Twenty-one percent (21%) are undecided.

By comparison, 36% of Americans have a favorable view of socialism.

It will be interesting to see if opportunistic Republicans like Marco Rubio who jumped on the Teabagger bandwagon start to distance themselves from these people.

The survey found here:

m.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/january_2013/jus...

« 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list