recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Soaps.com - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: What are you reading?

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

What are you reading?

Started by calliope at 2013/08/06 06:52PM
    Latest post: 2013/09/01 07:10PM, Views: 805, Replies: 16
    « 1 2 page:
    #11   2013/08/07 12:07PM
    Re: What are you reading?
    Calypso

Quote LucyT:
    Quote Calypso:
    Quote LucyT:
    Quote calliope: I love to read and thought it would be fun to hear what everyone has their nose in now.
    I started And the Mountains Echoed, got through about 50 pages and then read The Glass Castle and Not Young Still Restless. Loved both of those books. I don't know why I am having a hard time with Mountains. I ate up the authors other books, The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. Those are beautifully written books if you have any interest.

I haven't read a real book in years by that I mean I read to the kids magic tree house ,Katie John,little house,Harry Potter always preteen stories.My husband down loads and reads on down time at work or before bed.I of course spend way to much time on the MB.

I used to read all the time.If I start I have a very hard time stopping for anything.We have reading days in the winter or on rainy days but even then I am reading to my younger kids the older ones love it also.Maybe I can put together a reading list off of this thread.

Lucy, I love children's books too. The Magic Tree House series is great for young readers. I always say to kids....the only way to be a better reader is to read.....(or be read to) My favorite children's books are The Chronicles of Narnia, by CS Lewis...the first book The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is my favorite. Great to read to kids, and they can follow along....about a 4th 5th grade level for them to read on their own. Much better than any of the movies!!

My oldest boys read them but I need to get them out and read them to my younger kids.That was a great reminder.Thank you! I haven't read them myself either.

If you need more ideas for good books for kids, I have them.....I used to do a lot of reading with kids......
    here's just a sample:

Animal Ark series for young readers, by Bill Baglio (there are 62 of them)
    titles like: Kitten in the Kitchen Pony on the Porch
    Hoboken Chicken Emergency by Daniel M. Pinkwater (3rd or 4th grade)
    Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor (4th or 5th grade)

#12   2013/08/07 04:43PM
    LucyT

Quote Calypso:
    Quote LucyT:
    Quote Calypso:
    Quote LucyT:
    Quote calliope: I love to read and thought it would be fun to hear what everyone has their nose in now.
    I started And the Mountains Echoed, got through about 50 pages and then read The Glass Castle and Not Young Still Restless. Loved both of those books. I don't know why I am having a hard time with Mountains. I ate up the authors other books, The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. Those are beautifully written books if you have any interest.

I haven't read a real book in years by that I mean I read to the kids magic tree house ,Katie John,little house,Harry Potter always preteen stories.My husband down loads and reads on down time at work or before bed.I of course spend way to much time on the MB.

I used to read all the time.If I start I have a very hard time stopping for anything.We have reading days in the winter or on rainy days but even then I am reading to my younger kids the older ones love it also.Maybe I can put together a reading list off of this thread.

Lucy, I love children's books too. The Magic Tree House series is great for young readers. I always say to kids....the only way to be a better reader is to read.....(or be read to) My favorite children's books are The Chronicles of Narnia, by CS Lewis...the first book The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is my favorite. Great to read to kids, and they can follow along....about a 4th 5th grade level for them to read on their own. Much better than any of the movies!!

My oldest boys read them but I need to get them out and read them to my younger kids.That was a great reminder.Thank you! I haven't read them myself either.

If you need more ideas for good books for kids, I have them.....I used to do a lot of reading with kids......
    here's just a sample:

I keep a folder of titles and authors that people suggest for trips to the Library if we read it and love it we buy one for are legacy library.My husband calls me a book hoarder

I don't get suggestions often though.So I am always happy to get some.

#13   2013/08/10 11:36AM
    Calypso

Quote LucyT:
    Quote Calypso:
    Quote LucyT:
    Quote Calypso:
    Quote LucyT:

here's just a sample:

I keep a folder of titles and authors that people suggest for trips to the Library if we read it and love it we buy one for are legacy library.My husband calls me a book hoarder

Hi Lucy,
    i was looking through my children's books and found some others to recommend.

Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks grade level 4/5
    Bunnicula by James Howe (series) grade level 3/4
    Blue Willow by Doris Gates (best for girls) grade level 4/5
    Stuart Little by EB White grade level 4/5
    Mr Popper's Penguins by Florence Atwater grade level 4/5
    Stone Fox by John Reynolds Gardiner grade level 3/4
    The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner (series) grade level 3/4
    City of Ember by Jeanne Duprau (series) grade level 5/6

What grade level of books are you looking for? I could look for more titles.

#14   2013/08/10 01:22PM
    LucyT

Quote Calypso:
    Quote LucyT:
    Quote Calypso:
    Quote LucyT:
    Quote Calypso:
    Quote LucyT:

here's just a sample:

Hi Lucy,
    i was looking through my children's books and found some others to recommend.

Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks grade level 4/5
    Bunnicula by James Howe (series) grade level 3/4
    Blue Willow by Doris Gates (best for girls) grade level 4/5
    Stuart Little by EB White grade level 4/5
    Mr Popper's Penguins by Florence Atwater grade level 4/5
    Stone Fox by John Reynolds Gardiner grade level 3/4
    The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner (series) grade level 3/4
    City of Ember by Jeanne Duprau (series) grade level 5/6

What grade level of books are you looking for? I could look for more titles.

My childrens ages are 17,15,10,9,3 I also have my niece's children now 2 and 9 months.

WE have read/own all those books except Bunnicula,Blue Willow,and City of Ember.I don't know why we haven't read City of Ember because we watched that movie and the book is always better.I haven't heard of the other books so I will check them out.Thank you!

I don't know that we have all the box car children either.We have a lot of them though.

You are a wealth of information I feel guilty.I now have a meal plan and a good start to a new reading list both thanks to you.

I mean it I really appriciate all the great ideas.

#15   2013/09/01 03:14PM
    metalchica

Im a book collector. Havent read in awhile though. I know I could read a book on many tablets, etc, but there is nothing like the feeling of holding that book in your hand. Usually read King and Koontz, but just picked up a book 2 days ago called The Ghost Writer by John Harwood. Looking forward to reading it.

We always read to our son-starting from Dr Zuess to Harry Potter. Reading to children is one of the most amazing things we can do as parents.

#16   2013/09/01 07:06PM
    stover

Metalchica, I got a Kindle about 3 years ago. I was the same as you about the feel and smell of a book. I wasn't sure I would like the Kindle but I do. It is easy to carry around and I adjusted quickly. There are still hardcovers I buy but now I have an iPad, which I love, and I have been reading on that.

#17   2013/09/01 07:10PM
    calliope

Quote stover: Metalchica, I got a Kindle about 3 years ago. I was the same as you about the feel and smell of a book. I wasn't sure I would like the Kindle but I do. It is easy to carry around and I adjusted quickly. There are still hardcovers I buy but now I have an iPad, which I love, and I have been reading on that.

That reply is me. Calliope! I must have put my old email address in. I thought that account was long dead!

« 1 2 page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list