recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Soaps.com - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: What are you reading?

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

What are you reading?

Started by calliope at 2013/08/06 06:52PM
    Latest post: 2013/09/01 07:10PM, Views: 696, Replies: 16
    1 2 » »| page:
    #1   2013/08/06 06:52PM
    What are you reading?
    calliope

I love to read and thought it would be fun to hear what everyone has their nose in now.
    I started And the Mountains Echoed, got through about 50 pages and then read The Glass Castle and Not Young Still Restless. Loved both of those books. I don't know why I am having a hard time with Mountains. I ate up the authors other books, The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. Those are beautifully written books if you have any interest.

#2   2013/08/06 07:17PM
    Re: What are you reading?
    LucyT

Quote calliope: I love to read and thought it would be fun to hear what everyone has their nose in now.
    I started And the Mountains Echoed, got through about 50 pages and then read The Glass Castle and Not Young Still Restless. Loved both of those books. I don't know why I am having a hard time with Mountains. I ate up the authors other books, The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. Those are beautifully written books if you have any interest.

I haven't read a real book in years by that I mean I read to the kids magic tree house ,Katie John,little house,Harry Potter always preteen stories.My husband down loads and reads on down time at work or before bed.I of course spend way to much time on the MB.

I used to read all the time.If I start I have a very hard time stopping for anything.We have reading days in the winter or on rainy days but even then I am reading to my younger kids the older ones love it also.Maybe I can put together a reading list off of this thread.

#3   2013/08/06 07:34PM
    calliope

Lucy, reading to your kids is wonderful. It gives them the love of books and stories. And memories!

#4   2013/08/06 08:50PM
    LucyT

Quote calliope: Lucy, reading to your kids is wonderful. It gives them the love of books and stories. And memories!

Thanks, what was some of your boys favorites?or would they sit still to be read to?My first daughter wouldn't set still for a book.I was so dissapointed because I had all these bookes bought from my childhood to read to her.My great Grandma raised me until I was nine when she died she read to me all the time probably to keep me out of trouble So I had big plans for my little girl. My boys love to read and my little Mary who is 4 loves to hear mommy read.My Grace will now sit and draw pictures while I read.She is a great illustater.

#5   2013/08/07 02:18AM
    Homesick Cajun

Calliope, I thought about doing this too!

I'm currently not in the middle of a book, but my go to is Mark Twain's "Letters from the Earth".

I had the same problem you are having with John Grisham. His first 5 or 6 books I absolutely could not put down. I would grab them up when they first came out and finish the same day. Then after that I struggled with the next one (can't remember the name right now) but after that I stopped reading his.

I spend a lot of time on line reading recipes. I visit at least 10 or 12 recipe sites daily reading and looking for cooking tips, etc. Cooking is truly my favorite thing. Can't tell you how much I am enjoying your other thread! Thanks!

#6   2013/08/07 05:49AM
    calliope

I am the same with Grisham. I devoured his books until about 3 years ago. Seems like he is writing just to write now. Same with James Patterson. I liked his books but then he, together with some other writers, started churning out books it seems monthly!

#7   2013/08/07 06:26AM
    Homesick Cajun

Quote calliope: I am the same with Grisham. I devoured his books until about 3 years ago. Seems like he is writing just to write now. Same with James Patterson. I liked his books but then he, together with some other writers, started churning out books it seems monthly!

Feels like they signed book deals with no real forethought on content. Maybe they have a quota to meet so they are rushing to get them to press or something. I know nothing about that business, but yeah, writing just to write.

#8   2013/08/07 07:01AM
    Calypso

I love this idea calliope!! I read like mad, almost anything. Best sellers, murders, fantasy, even sci fi.......I get books from friends who read, and we pass them around. The book I just finished was THe Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman. It's about a girls school in the Adirondacks, and deaths that take place...rather gothic, but was very good.

Right now I reading JK Rowling's The Casual Vacancy....just started it.

#9   2013/08/07 07:06AM
    Calypso

Quote LucyT:
    Quote calliope: I love to read and thought it would be fun to hear what everyone has their nose in now.

I haven't read a real book in years by that I mean I read to the kids magic tree house ,Katie John,little house,Harry Potter always preteen stories.My husband down loads and reads on down time at work or before bed.I of course spend way to much time on the MB.

I used to read all the time.If I start I have a very hard time stopping for anything.We have reading days in the winter or on rainy days but even then I am reading to my younger kids the older ones love it also.Maybe I can put together a reading list off of this thread.

Lucy, I love children's books too. The Magic Tree House series is great for young readers. I always say to kids....the only way to be a better reader is to read.....(or be read to) My favorite children's books are The Chronicles of Narnia, by CS Lewis...the first book The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is my favorite. Great to read to kids, and they can follow along....about a 4th 5th grade level for them to read on their own. Much better than any of the movies!!

#10   2013/08/07 11:28AM
    LucyT

Quote Calypso:
    Quote LucyT:

Lucy, I love children's books too. The Magic Tree House series is great for young readers. I always say to kids....the only way to be a better reader is to read.....(or be read to) My favorite children's books are The Chronicles of Narnia, by CS Lewis...the first book The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is my favorite. Great to read to kids, and they can follow along....about a 4th 5th grade level for them to read on their own. Much better than any of the movies!!

My oldest boys read them but I need to get them out and read them to my younger kids.That was a great reminder.Thank you! I haven't read them myself either.

1 2 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list