recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Soaps.com - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: What's for dinner?

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

What's for dinner?

Started by calliope at 2013/07/25 03:06PM
    Latest post: 2014/09/26 01:32PM, Views: 17822, Replies: 883
    « 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 » »| page:
    #781   2014/03/20 01:11PM
    Re: What's for dinner?
    LucyT

Quote Calypso: Welcome, LM..glad you could join us food lovers here.

I have been AWOL, again...but hope everyone is well and getting in the spring mode.

Ham sounds delicious, HC...I don't bake one that often, but your recipe sounds good....I have used many different sauces that I baste with in the last 1/2 hour or so, like orange cranberry, molasses and cloves, or a raison cider. Makes me want to do this, but will wait until Easter.

In the last few days this is what we've had:

I made a bolognese sauce that I use for pasta, then made a lasagna in a small pan for the first time 6x9....I liked it much better than the one I make in a 9x12...I put in only 3 layers of pasta, as opposed to 4 in the larger pan. I added spinach to one layer and seasoned olives to the ricotta layer. I also added asiago cheese to one layer instead of mozzarella.
    Wine: Montepulciano

We also had bay scallops, one of my favorite foods. I make it very simply. Melt butter in a large skillet, and heat.....add the scallops and cook about 3-4 minutes...splash of white wine then panko, finish with a squirt of lemon. Yummy...I served it with fresh asparagus and rice pilaf with scallions.
    Wine: Pinot Grigio

I am going to make a calzone with Italian meats, red peppers, onions tomorrow. I use store bought pizza dough, let it defrost and rise for 2 days. Then roll it out to be about 10x12. Cover 1/2 with mortadella, genoa, and prosciutto, then sliced peppers and onions, and top with picante provolone. Try as best you can to fold over the top of the meat side. The dough should be very elastic. Baste with egg wash and bake, then serve with dipping sauce.
    Wine: Cabernet

I hope everyone enjoys the first days of spring.

PS. I think Lucy meant dump cake, it's kind of like an upside down cake. I know I have typing errors all the time......

Hi,I was wondering where you went.I always enjoy your menu choices.I am intimidated by them but they sound so yummy.

I am thrilled today is the 1st day of spring even if I have been freezing all day!It just sound wonderful to say Spring has sprung!

#782   2014/03/20 01:23PM
    LucyT

Quote LucyT:
    Quote calliope: Peach dumb cake? Now that is the kind of cake recipe I need!

Dumb cake is super easy.I make it in a 9 by 13 pan but you could cut it in half.
    it is 2 cans of pie filling topped with yellow cake mix covered in butter pats and baked until the butter turns the cake mix golden brown or in my case burnt along the edges

I use canned peaches in heavy syrup for the peach cake.
    It is like a crisp really not cake like at all.

if you like apple crisp you might try apple pie filling and mix some cinnamon in the cake mix before you put it on top of the pie filling.

I forgot you must serve this warm with a scoop of french vanilla ice cream on top!YES this is mandatory!

#783   2014/03/20 03:40PM
    Calypso

Lucy, I am so sorry that you find my recipes intimidating, that was never my intention. I am also sorry I corrected the name of your cake. I guess it's called by different names in different parts of the country.

#784   2014/03/20 04:01PM
    calliope

Quote Calypso: Lucy, I am so sorry that you find my recipes intimidating, that was never my intention. I am also sorry I corrected the name of your cake. I guess it's called by different names in different parts of the country.

I thought she meant dump cake too and I was putting her on a little. Sorry Lucy! I guess you know what you made! The very last cake I made from scratch was an angel food cake. I swear it tasted no different than the box mix! And all those eggs I wasted! This was probably 35 years ago.

Editing to say that is not true. I have made my moms orange cake a few times for one of my sons. A birthday request! It is yummy.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2014/03/20 04:03PM
    #785   2014/03/20 08:06PM
    little miss ...

Hello everyone!

Lucy i am like you, sometimes it comes down to the wire on what we are having. Sometimes it is as someone posted, grazing.

HC i also like Ree Drummond. I made your brownies with the chocolate icing.(first time making brownies from scratch in years). They turned out perfect. My husband is a baker, and he said do not get rid of that recipe. You need to post some of your recipes. You said you were worried about the criticsm. Years ago i posted recipes on recipezaar. Only posted 3. Two recipes didn't even get reviewed, one only got 8 reviews. Recipezaar became food.com and my recipes are still there.

Calypso those calzones sound amazing!

I hope everyone has a great evening.

#786   2014/03/21 09:02AM
    Homesick Cajun

Quote calliope:
    Quote Calypso: Lucy, I am so sorry that you find my recipes intimidating, that was never my intention. I am also sorry I corrected the name of your cake. I guess it's called by different names in different parts of the country.

I thought she meant dump cake too and I was putting her on a little. Sorry Lucy! I guess you know what you made! The very last cake I made from scratch was an angel food cake. I swear it tasted no different than the box mix! And all those eggs I wasted! This was probably 35 years ago.

Editing to say that is not true. I have made my moms orange cake a few times for one of my sons. A birthday request! It is yummy.

For what it's worth, I thought it was dump cake too! I learned something new this morning! I've never heard of dumb cake before.

The recipe made me think of chess cake. Haven't made one of those in ages! Maybe I'll make one of those next week. Made chocolate chip cookies yesterday, so I'll wait till they're all gone.

#787   2014/03/21 09:08AM
    Homesick Cajun

Good morning all!

Is everybody ready for the weekend? We don't have any plans. Well, I have plans for him that he doesn't know about yet. Some of my spring cleaning I need muscles to help me.

That's great little miss! I've seen some reviews that were just brutal. I love that site too and visit it often. Haven't reviewed too many on that site, but I do use many from there too. So glad you liked the brownies! I've posted several brownie recipes on this thread. So your hubby's a baker? I think that's great! I don't allow DH in my kitchen!

Well, DH was out of town last night so it was leftover cabbage and cornbread for me. And tonight will be leftover ham so nothing exciting from my house today.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Friday!

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2014/03/21 09:11AM
    #788   2014/03/21 03:54PM
    LucyT

LOL, it doesn't take much to intimidate me!Please don't be insulted that I am the worst cook ever and have a very short attention span when it comes to following instruction.The cake might be called dump cake I call it dumb cake because the person who past it along to me wrote that on the recipe card and when I googled it the same recipe came up.
    It would make sense to call it dump cake because you dump the cake mix on top of the pie filling.

Did I also tell you I love sea food so your recipes often make me drool!

after reading through all the other comments I googled dump cake Guess what? yeah,the same recipe as my dumb cake.LOL!!!! I better pass that info along to a few friends!

Modified 2 times(s), last time at: 2014/03/21 04:03PM
    #789   2014/03/21 07:12PM
    calliope

Tonight for dinner I had a vodka tonic and Ben & Jerry's Phish Food.

#790   2014/03/23 03:34AM
    Homesick Cajun

Quote calliope: Tonight for dinner I had a vodka tonic and Ben & Jerry's Phish Food.

Now you're talking! My kind of dinner! Chardonnay goes well with Cherry Garcia!

« 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list