recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Soaps.com - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: What's for dinner?

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

What's for dinner?

Started by calliope at 2013/07/25 03:06PM
    Latest post: 2014/08/19 10:34PM, Views: 14738, Replies: 838
    « 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 » »| page:
    #771   2014/03/19 08:09AM
    Re: What's for dinner?
    little miss ...

Hello all!
    I am on page 36 now, keep having to stop to write recipes down.
    I watch Y&R and B&B.
    Homesick Cajun thank you for advice on how to respond to a husband that won't help me decide what to fix. I am going to do exactly as you suggested. He eats anything i fix anyway. lol
    I watch the Food Net work show alot on the weekends. I also go to food.com and allrecipes.com.
    We are having leftover Salisbury steak with mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy, corn out of a can that i pop in the microwave with some butter and salt and irish soda bread that came out a box. (kind of embarassed to post that after reading all your recipes. oh well it it what it is)
    Have a great day everyone! Gotta get busy cleaning. Fun fun

#772   2014/03/19 07:53PM
    LucyT

Quote Homesick Cajun: Good Wednesday morning all!

Lucy, how did your chicken turn out?

Yesterday I baked a ham in Coke with a hot pepper jelly/brown sugar glaze. We had barbecue beans on the side. It was a huge ham that was taking up too much room in the freezer. So, now I'm on the hunt for some good ideas for leftover ham.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

HomeSickCajun I made three and my family fought for the left overs for breakfast!
    That ham might be my next attempt!

If I say I LOVE you will it freak you out?! because I love you and your recipes!

#773   2014/03/19 07:58PM
    LucyT

Quote little miss muffet: Hello all!
    I watch Y&R and B&B.
    Homesick Cajun thank you for advice on how to respond to a husband that won't help me decide what to fix. I am going to do exactly as you suggested. He eats anything i fix anyway. lol
    I watch the Food Net work show alot on the weekends. I also go to food.com and allrecipes.com.
    We are having leftover Salisbury steak with mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy, corn out of a can that i pop in the microwave with some butter and salt and irish soda bread that came out a box. (kind of embarassed to post that after reading all your recipes. oh well it it what it is)

I need to go back and write them all down.I would not be embarrassed either.I am not to good to steal your menu No not me.I am all about any meal idea anyone passes along.

I watch B&B,Y&R,GH AND I also watch Dallas.No wonder I never have a meal plan!

#774   2014/03/20 03:05AM
    Homesick Cajun

Quote little miss muffet: Hello all!
    I watch Y&R and B&B.

Please, don't ever be embarrassed! You'll see as you read through this thread, we even talk about brands of canned stuff in here. I probably go all out and cook more than anybody else in here, but I'm retired and have nothing but time to kill. Before I retired the local pizza place knew my order by heart! I'm from south Louisiana, but my husband was transferred to New Mexico a little over two years ago. Hence the "homesick" in the screen name. You'll hear me whining often about wanting to go home!

I love allrecipes.com! Love the feature they have to allow you to customize recipes. Since it's only me and DH, I don't need recipes to feed six or eight people. Another site that's really good is Taste of Home. Great selection. But, I steal ideas from everywhere! Lots I make are from The Pioneer Woman (Rae Drummond). I make quite a few of hers.

#775   2014/03/20 03:12AM
    Homesick Cajun

Quote LucyT:
    Quote Homesick Cajun: Good Wednesday morning all!

Lucy, how did your chicken turn out?

Yesterday I baked a ham in Coke with a hot pepper jelly/brown sugar glaze. We had barbecue beans on the side. It was a huge ham that was taking up too much room in the freezer. So, now I'm on the hunt for some good ideas for leftover ham.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

HomeSickCajun I made three and my family fought for the left overs for breakfast!
    That ham might be my next attempt!

If I say I LOVE you will it freak you out?! because I love you and your recipes!

Not freaked out in the least!! Love you too sweetie!

So glad the chicken turned out good for you! I took one out of the freezer this morning for this weekend. When you decide to make the ham, let me know and I'll post some tips for you. I used a recipe that was my cousin's and before I make it again, I'm going to make some adjustments. It was really good, but I know it can be better!

Did you ever make the chocolate chip cookie recipe that I posted awhile back? The one with the pudding mix. I'm going to make those again today. They're truly amazing! I can post it again for you if you need me to. You really need to try these!

#776   2014/03/20 04:15AM
    Homesick Cajun

Good morning again all!

Was in here earlier and completely forgot to post what we had for dinner! Too early to be this forgetful!

We had a rump roast with au gratin potatoes and English peas.

The potato recipe I got from The Pioneer Woman's site. If you like garlic, these are really yummy!

4 whole Russet potatoes scrubbed clean
    2 Tbs butter softened
    1 1/2 cups heavy cream
    1/2 cup milk
    2 Tbs flour
    4 cloves garlic, finely minced
    1 tsp salt
    Lots of black pepper
    1 cup cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 400. Smear softened butter in casserole dish. Slice potatoes, then cut into fourths. Whisk together the heavy cream, milk, flour, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Place 1/3 of the potatoes in the casserole dish, pour 1/3 of the cream mixture over and repeat this two more times. (I've made this a few times, make sure the potatoes are pretty well covered when you finish. If they're not almost submerged add a little more milk or heavy cream otherwise those on top won't get done with the rest.) Cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 20 minutes. If they're not fork tender at this point, loosely recover and bake another 15 or 20 minutes. Add the cheese and bake another 3 to 5 minutes till cheese is melted and bubbly.

If you're not wild about garlic, you can certainly cut back on it. We love it so four cloves is just right for us. Same with the black pepper. I put lots then taste and usually add more. I don't measure the pepper at all.

Enjoy!

Everybody have a great Thursday!

#777   2014/03/20 08:30AM
    LucyT

I haven't tried the cookie recipe.I need to I made a peach dumb cake last night and my cookie loving son reminded me that I haven't made cookies forever bad mom!

I have to make doggie treats this weekend. I think I will try to cook up some kid treats also.The problem is mom and dad mostly mom doesn't need them.I finally gave up my brownie addiction even though they are very much on my mind!

I plan to grocery shop today before the weekend I hate to shop on the weekend.

Happy Spring BTW I am holding on to ever glimmer of warmth and sunlight.

#778   2014/03/20 09:16AM
    calliope

Peach dumb cake? Now that is the kind of cake recipe I need!

#779   2014/03/20 10:40AM
    Calypso

Welcome, LM..glad you could join us food lovers here.

I have been AWOL, again...but hope everyone is well and getting in the spring mode.

Ham sounds delicious, HC...I don't bake one that often, but your recipe sounds good....I have used many different sauces that I baste with in the last 1/2 hour or so, like orange cranberry, molasses and cloves, or a raison cider. Makes me want to do this, but will wait until Easter.

In the last few days this is what we've had:

I made a bolognese sauce that I use for pasta, then made a lasagna in a small pan for the first time 6x9....I liked it much better than the one I make in a 9x12...I put in only 3 layers of pasta, as opposed to 4 in the larger pan. I added spinach to one layer and seasoned olives to the ricotta layer. I also added asiago cheese to one layer instead of mozzarella.
    Wine: Montepulciano

We also had bay scallops, one of my favorite foods. I make it very simply. Melt butter in a large skillet, and heat.....add the scallops and cook about 3-4 minutes...splash of white wine then panko, finish with a squirt of lemon. Yummy...I served it with fresh asparagus and rice pilaf with scallions.
    Wine: Pinot Grigio

I am going to make a calzone with Italian meats, red peppers, onions tomorrow. I use store bought pizza dough, let it defrost and rise for 2 days. Then roll it out to be about 10x12. Cover 1/2 with mortadella, genoa, and prosciutto, then sliced peppers and onions, and top with picante provolone. Try as best you can to fold over the top of the meat side. The dough should be very elastic. Baste with egg wash and bake, then serve with dipping sauce.
    Wine: Cabernet

I hope everyone enjoys the first days of spring.

PS. I think Lucy meant dump cake, it's kind of like an upside down cake. I know I have typing errors all the time......

#780   2014/03/20 01:05PM
    LucyT

Quote calliope: Peach dumb cake? Now that is the kind of cake recipe I need!

Dumb cake is super easy.I make it in a 9 by 13 pan but you could cut it in half.
    it is 2 cans of pie filling topped with yellow cake mix covered in butter pats and baked until the butter turns the cake mix golden brown or in my case burnt along the edges

I use canned peaches in heavy syrup for the peach cake.
    It is like a crisp really not cake like at all.

if you like apple crisp you might try apple pie filling and mix some cinnamon in the cake mix before you put it on top of the pie filling.

« 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list