recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Soaps.com - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: What's for dinner?

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

What's for dinner?

Started by calliope at 2013/07/25 03:06PM
    Latest post: 2014/09/26 01:32PM, Views: 17067, Replies: 883
    « 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 » »| page:
    #761   2014/03/16 05:36AM
    Re: What's for dinner?
    Homesick Cajun

Good Sunday morning!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend. Last night we had oven fried chicken (which I left in the oven too long ) with lima beans and creamed corn. I've got a couple of steaks marinating for tonight.

That's about it from my house. We do have snow on the mountains, rain where I am but it's so desperately needed I hope we get more today.

Have a great rest of the weekend!

#762   2014/03/16 07:12AM
    calliope

Good morning all! It is a beautiful breezy morning here.
    I have shaken whatever nasty bug was trying to attack me Friday. Still a bit yucky yesterday but made a chicken and cheese quesadilla last night because I decided part of my nausea was hunger! I have a container of chili that I took out of the freezer for today but now I am afraid my stomach won't like it. Can't give it to the dogs and don't want to referee it so....
    I have a thing about wasting food so I will probably have it even if I don't want it!
    Glad you are back to cooking. A good sign indeed!

#763   2014/03/17 08:29AM
    Homesick Cajun

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

Calliope, I know what you mean about wasting food! I'm pretty good at finding ways to use up leftovers. If I don't watch him, DH will eat things out of the fridge long after what I think is smart. He's got a stomach of cast iron and nothing ever bothers him like it would me though.

I'm running late this morning. Wanted to get my corned beef going in the crock pot as early as possible. Put red potatoes, onion, and carrots underneath. Hopefully it'll cook down some, right now there's no room for the cabbage! May have to cook that separately.

Took me awhile to find the bottle opener for the beer. DH had it last and since he's incapable of putting anything back where it lives I couldn't find it. Didn't want to call him and ask, he'd have thought I was starting entirely too early! Can't make corned beef without beer!!

#764   2014/03/18 05:22AM
    little miss ...

Wow. Just found this place. From what i have seen looks like you all are very nice people. Found some great recipes here too. Thanks.

#765   2014/03/18 05:26AM
    calliope

Welcome! Yes we are very nice people if I do say so myself!! Nice people who like food.
    You will find friendly people and good food ideas.
    HC how was the corned beef? I have never made it but do like corned beef and cabbage a lot!
    Rainy here today. Lots of wind overnight but that calmed before the rain.
    Have a great day everyone!

#766   2014/03/18 05:57AM
    Homesick Cajun

Good morning all!

Welcome to the thread! Lots of really good recipes here and great food inspirations.

Oh, Calliope, if you like corned beef, you'd love this! DH though he had died and gone to heaven. I'm truly not a fan, and I went back for seconds. It tuned out really good and so easy. You could throw this in before work and have it for dinner anytime.

All I did was cut up about five large carrots in kinda large pieces, six red potatoes peeled and quartered, one large onion chopped. Covered that with water (about four cups). Put the corned beef on top of the veggies. Poured a beer over the corned beef then sprinkled the seasoning packet over the beef. Cooked in the crock pot on high all day. About nine hours. The potatoes were a little more done than I wanted. I'll probably leave them whole next time or at least only cut them in half. Threw in a cabbage chopped up about 45 minutes before dinner and that's it. So easy!

I used a Beck's dark beer because that's what DH drinks and it was in the fridge. But, I'm sure any kind would work. Probably wouldn't use a Lite beer!

#767   2014/03/18 08:19AM
    LucyT

Welcome little miss...

My husband loves corn beef HomeSickCajun.Thank you in advance I have yet to make one of your recipes that has failed.I know we will love it.

Hi Caliope,Hope you are well today.

We had fish and fries last night of course we called them chips My kids where all confused
    I am roasting chickens for tonight's dinner HSC style! We will have sides of green beans and potatoes apple sauce and cottage cheese.
    We ate out so much this weekend I am in the mood for real food.

I hope you all have a fab day!Oh,and it is in the sixties here today!!!!! I like it hotter but the warmest day so far this year for us!

#768   2014/03/18 08:38PM
    little miss ...

Thank you for welcoming me. I only found this place a couple of days ago. I have not yet made it through all of the pages. I am on page 26 now. (lots of catching up to be done). Seems like i remember someone posting that it was a lot nicer in here than out there. It has to be. It's terrible out there.
    I am from WV. I like to cook. I like collecting cookbooks and recipes. I would not consider myself a great cook. Maybe average. If that.
    Does anyone else have trouble figuring out what to fix to eat? You give them a choice of two or three meals and get "whatever you want to fix dear is fine"?

Thank you all again for welcoming me!

#769   2014/03/19 03:49AM
    Homesick Cajun

Quote little miss muffet: Thank you for welcoming me. I only found this place a couple of days ago. I have not yet made it through all of the pages. I am on page 26 now. (lots of catching up to be done). Seems like i remember someone posting that it was a lot nicer in here than out there. It has to be. It's terrible out there.
    I am from WV. I like to cook. I like collecting cookbooks and recipes. I would not consider myself a great cook. Maybe average. If that.
    Does anyone else have trouble figuring out what to fix to eat? You give them a choice of two or three meals and get "whatever you want to fix dear is fine"?

Thank you all again for welcoming me!

It is much nicer in here! I know I said it early on in this thread. Others may have too. I don't know which soap you post about but I imagine they're all about the same. I can only take that in small doses. Some days I only come in here where it's safe!

When DH says he doesn't care, I make one of my favorites! What I do, for example, is say "We're having chicken, do you have a preference as to how I make it?" Or I let him pick a side veggie. Only on his birthday does he get to really request the main dish!

I love to cook! Do you visit any online recipe sites? I've got recipe boxes set up on several. You might even run across recipes on some sites that I've reviewed. I haven't submitted any yet but I've got a few I'm thinking about submitting. Not sure I can take the criticism though.

Glad you found our little group!

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2014/03/19 03:57AM
    #770   2014/03/19 03:56AM
    Homesick Cajun

Good Wednesday morning all!

Lucy, how did your chicken turn out?

Yesterday I baked a ham in Coke with a hot pepper jelly/brown sugar glaze. We had barbecue beans on the side. It was a huge ham that was taking up too much room in the freezer. So, now I'm on the hunt for some good ideas for leftover ham.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

« 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list