recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Soaps.com - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: What's for dinner?

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

What's for dinner?

Started by calliope at 2013/07/25 03:06PM
    Latest post: 2014/09/26 01:32PM, Views: 17129, Replies: 883
    « 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 » »| page:
    #731   2014/03/05 08:11AM
    Re: What's for dinner?
    Calypso

Another cold day here!! I am truly sick of it. So to break up the boredom, we went out to a late lunch yesterday. I had pan seared scallops with risotto and the Captain had day boat haddock with fingerling potatoes. It's our favorite French bistro, and we were able to get our favorite table, as there are not too many people out and about.

The rest of this week is leftovers for us.

HC, I did know that Jessica Collins was a classically trained chef, and her cauliflower casserole was great. I may change the recipe a bit. Hope you enjoyed your Madi Gras, even though you weren't in NO.

Calliope, We did have fish on Monday night, and had pollack with that thyme cream sauce I mentioned. The forecast had said snow, but it never arrived. Sounds like a very posh luncheon that you had. It's fun to do that once in a while, but I agree the food is just as good at a local good restaurant.

Lucy, I hope all the sickness is out of your house, and everyone is on the mend.

#732   2014/03/06 04:32AM
    Homesick Cajun

Quote calliope:
    Quote Homesick Cajun: Good morning all!

Calliope, I hate the rack that came with my roasting pan. That's why I tried this recipe putting onion and celery under the chicken. It's also why I mostly bake whole chickens as opposed to roasting them. Roasting is so much easier and we really like it better, but my rack is such a pain to clean. That's why I was so excited when this worked! If I had tried this first I might not have even bought my pan. Any baking pan will work for this. Next time I'm going to put more veggies in like carrots and potatoes and do the whole thing in one pan. I may only use my rack for cooling cookies from here on out!

I was going to make Jambalaya yesterday for Mardi Gras but I didn't have everything I needed so I made meat sauce instead. We had spaghetti and garlic bread.

Hope everyone has a great Wednesday!

Red gravy! That's what I remember spaghetti sauce being called in NO.

Did you ever have tomato gravy when you lived in NO? That's one of my absolute favorites! I love it over biscuits with pork chops for breakfast. DH won't eat it!! I don't know why! He loves tomato based sauces but not tomato gravy.

I make it occasionally, just for me, and freeze it in small single serving containers for when he's out of town.

#733   2014/03/06 04:35AM
    Homesick Cajun

Quote Calypso: Another cold day here!! I am truly sick of it. So to break up the boredom, we went out to a late lunch yesterday. I had pan seared scallops with risotto and the Captain had day boat haddock with fingerling potatoes. It's our favorite French bistro, and we were able to get our favorite table, as there are not too many people out and about.

HC, I did know that Jessica Collins was a classically trained chef, and her cauliflower casserole was great. I may change the recipe a bit. Hope you enjoyed your Madi Gras, even though you weren't in NO.

Calliope, We did have fish on Monday night, and had pollack with that thyme cream sauce I mentioned. The forecast had said snow, but it never arrived. Sounds like a very posh luncheon that you had. It's fun to do that once in a while, but I agree the food is just as good at a local good restaurant.

Lucy, I hope all the sickness is out of your house, and everyone is on the mend.

I figured you probably already knew about her. I tend to forget about Jessica Collins when I'm in search of recipes. I should check out her website more often.

#734   2014/03/06 04:35AM
    Homesick Cajun

Quote Calypso: Another cold day here!! I am truly sick of it. So to break up the boredom, we went out to a late lunch yesterday. I had pan seared scallops with risotto and the Captain had day boat haddock with fingerling potatoes. It's our favorite French bistro, and we were able to get our favorite table, as there are not too many people out and about.

The dreaded double post!

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2014/03/06 04:35AM
    #735   2014/03/06 04:40AM
    Homesick Cajun

Good morning all!

Lucy, I so hope you're feeling better! Miss you around here!

Last night we had General Tso's chicken. One of the things I don't make from scratch. Sun Bird makes a good mix for the sauce. I'd probably make it from scratch if I liked it better. I'm truly not a fan but DH loves it and has been requesting (begging) for it for awhile now so I broke down and made it last night. Steamed carrots for me!

Hope everyone has a great day! DH is out of town so I'm going to get back on my spring cleaning today, much as I don't want to!

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2014/03/06 04:42AM
    #736   2014/03/06 05:37AM
    calliope

Quote Homesick Cajun:
    Quote calliope:
    Quote Homesick Cajun: Good morning all!

Calliope, I hate the rack that came with my roasting pan. That's why I tried this recipe putting onion and celery under the chicken. It's also why I mostly bake whole chickens as opposed to roasting them. Roasting is so much easier and we really like it better, but my rack is such a pain to clean. That's why I was so excited when this worked! If I had tried this first I might not have even bought my pan. Any baking pan will work for this. Next time I'm going to put more veggies in like carrots and potatoes and do the whole thing in one pan. I may only use my rack for cooling cookies from here on out!

I was going to make Jambalaya yesterday for Mardi Gras but I didn't have everything I needed so I made meat sauce instead. We had spaghetti and garlic bread.

Hope everyone has a great Wednesday!

Red gravy! That's what I remember spaghetti sauce being called in NO.

Did you ever have tomato gravy when you lived in NO? That's one of my absolute favorites! I love it over biscuits with pork chops for breakfast. DH won't eat it!! I don't know why! He loves tomato based sauces but not tomato gravy.

I make it occasionally, just for me, and freeze it in small single serving containers for when he's out of town.

I have never made it. How do you make yours?

#737   2014/03/06 06:05AM
    Homesick Cajun

Calliope, tomato gravy is easy to make. You can go one of two ways. I don't measure this but make a roux with about a quarter cup of bacon grease and about three Tbs of flour. (You can use butter but it's not nearly as good!) Then either stir in a can of tomatoes or 1/2 can of tomato paste with two cups of water. If you use the canned tomatoes, don't drain them and don't add water. Add salt and pepper to taste. (I like plenty of pepper for this). Stir and cook till it's the consistency you want. If I use the tomato paste and water I throw in a couple of chopped fresh tomatoes at the end but I like it a little chunky. Some like it on grits too. I prefer it on biscuits. Easy peasy! And it freezes great!

#738   2014/03/06 07:22AM
    calliope

Friends used to make it with hard boiled eggs in it.
    I always compared it to the creamed stewed tomatoes my mother used to make for over Mac and cheese or mashed. I think the mashed potatoes with it was when things got really close to pay day and pantry was getting bare.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2014/03/06 07:23AM
    #739   2014/03/06 10:03AM
    LucyT

yOU ALL make me so happy!I love LOVE love reading your posts about the way your mothers made things and learning the way yo do them.

I am kind of sick of the soaps right now.I hope that doesn't go against the posting rules.I think I am antsy and ready to do something different than watch T.V.lol

Cali and Calypso I am happy you both had a meal out sounded fun.My husband and I should sneak away for a meal.To expensive to take the kids.

My son has a birthday the 16th I haven't even began to plan it.Other than he wants Cheese cake.He has hit the teenage yrs with a big bang!I hope we both survive it!

Homesick my family loves General Tso's I never made it myself.I guess I will try the sauce you use if I can find it.We always buy it from the deli already made.

We are having Pork chops,green beans,fried potatoes,apple sauce and cottage cheese tonight.Do you all have food that just always goes on the table no matter what meal you are having?We always have apple sauce and cottage cheese.Is that weird?As a kid my great grandmother always put them out along with pickles and beats.She canned a lot what I wouldn't give for some of her pickles and beats.

Hope you all have productive happy and safe days!

#740   2014/03/08 04:15AM
    Homesick Cajun

Good Saturday morning all!

Lucy, I haven't watched Y&R in about six weeks now. I really only come to the board to post in here anymore. I'm watching Days and really enjoying it, but can't decide if I want to participate in that board or not. So I know what you mean about being unhappy with your soaps! But I miss you when you don't drop by in here!

We don't really have anything that is always on the table. Since it's just the two of us, our meals are really informal. My coffee table is an antique Japanese dining table and we sit around it when DH is home. Otherwise I sit at my desk to eat when he's not here. Although, he does grab his bottle of Frank's red hot an awful lot. Guess I don't get some things spicy enough!

Last night we had flounder. It was terrible. I don't know what happened to it. I think the fish was mishandled during shipping and had thawed and refrozen at some point. It completely disintegrated when I cooked it! So we laughed and made silly jokes about how bad it was. Then we had cereal.

Hope everyone has a great Saturday!

« 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list