recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Soaps.com - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: What's for dinner?

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

What's for dinner?

Started by calliope at 2013/07/25 03:06PM
    Latest post: 2014/09/26 01:32PM, Views: 17795, Replies: 883
    « 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 » »| page:
    #721   2014/02/28 10:32AM
    Re: What's for dinner?
    Homesick Cajun

Good morning all!

Lucy, I'm really warm natured to begin with so my experience may be an extreme. But, hate to tell you, I don't think so.

We don't have any plans for the weekend. Probably just hang out here and try to get caught up on some of our recorded programs. Maybe watch some of the race on Sunday afternoon but that's about it for us. Our weather is supposed to be a wintry mix all weekend with rain and snow so a good weekend to stay home. I'm not complaining tho, we desperately need the rain here. We're in a severe drought. We didn't get anywhere near the snowfall we normally get in the winter. Sounds strange with all the people elsewhere that got more than their share but not in the west.

I've got nothing to report on the food front. DH was out of town last night so I had the last leftover rib from last weekend. Tonight we're having steaks and baked potatoes. So I've been baking pumpkin treats all morning and that's it for me today.

Hope you all have a great Friday!

#722   2014/02/28 01:11PM
    Calypso

Hi Everyone!!
    Lucy, I hope you are feeling better.
    HC, I'm glad you are getting some rain/snow
    Calliope, Hope you are the one with warm weather for all of us.

This weekend we thought we would start the spring cleanup, but alas, snow is predicted for Sun/Mon. The Captain is getting antsy about the lawn, flower beds etc. I have seen robins around the foundation digging away, poor things.

Tonight, we are having leftover lasagna and salad
    Tomorrow, I am making my special Mexican Chicken Pizza. I kind of cheat and use a Boboli for the crust. Makes great leftovers, too.
    Sunday, I will make an eye of the round roast beef with mushroom gravy, and a new recipe, cauliflower casserole. I actually got the recipe from Jessica Collins's website. She seems like a fantastic cook and posts great recipes.
    Monday, if I get my fresh fish, is cod/haddock/pollack (whatever I get) with thyme cream and roasted winter vegetables.

Happy Weekend !!

#723   2014/02/28 07:40PM
    LucyT

Hi all,
    It seems we all with the exception of my youngest two children have ear sinus or respiratory infections. Antibiotics all around. I think the Doc is antibiotic happy! Not so sure it's needed kind of makes me worry.I haven't ran a fever yet.I may hold off and I will probably be eating my words soon!

Calypso,I know how your husband feels I am itching to do yard work.Wish I was as anxious to clean my house.

We are not doing much this weekend sneezing, wheezing,Blowing ,snowing,hoping my bad attitude is not showing/growing.UMM maybe I need to take my temp after all.

Hope it is a healthy and happy weekend for all of you.

#724   2014/03/01 07:51AM
    Homesick Cajun

Good Saturday morning everyone!

Lucy, you need a hot toddy and by all means give your hubby one! He may still be sick but he won't care.

Calypso, did you know Jessica Collins graduated with honors from the Le Cordon Bleu cooking school in Paris? She's actually an accomplished chef in real. I'm sure her character's love of baking was written in just for her. It's amazing how much art imitates life sometimes.

We've already stated our spring cleaning. I think I posted a couple of weeks ago we had gotten our grill and summer stuff out of hibernation. I've been doing inside this past week but nowhere near finished. Our skies look angry but so far nothing's falling. There's a beautiful little red bud tree right off my patio that's already started blooming. Sadly the storm we're supposed to get will blow all the blooms away shortly.

Not much to report on the food front again this morning. We had steaks last night. I'm going to bake a small ham this afternoon but haven't decided on sides yet.

Everyone have a wonderful weekend! Feel better soon Lucy!!

#725   2014/03/03 02:45AM
    Homesick Cajun

Good Monday morning all!

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. I was so busy yesterday I didn't have time to post. I'm in the middle of two huge projects at home. So crazy of me to start the second one before I finished the first. (Paging Dr. Watkins) Really wish I had taken before pictures of my bedroom.

Lucy, I hope you're feeling better!

Yesterday we had a rump roast with garlic mashed potatoes and English peas. The way I make a rump roast is to cut slits in the roast and stuff those with garlic. Salt, pepper and garlic powder on the roast. Roast at 500 for twenty minutes. Then add a cup of water and one onion chopped and decrease the temp to 275 and bake for twenty minutes a pound. That's for rare but that's how we like it. May have posted that before, too early for me to remember this morning.

Hope everyone has a great day!

#726   2014/03/03 08:12PM
    LucyT

I bought two rump roasts on sale least week they are frozen right now.When I cook one I am going to give your recipe a try,HSC.

I didn't do much or cook much this weekend.We had dinner from the pizza place Fri,Sat and ,Sun.Pizza,subs,pasta and salad.Easy for me.

Tonight we had taco's,apple sauce,and cottage cheese with a peach crisp and ice cream for dessert.

Calliope seems to be missing again at least from this thread hope she's o.k.

#727   2014/03/04 07:16AM
    Homesick Cajun

Happy Mardi Gras ya'll!

Lucy, good to see you! I had decided everyone but me got to go to Mardi Gras! Hope you're feeling better! Calliope should be around today sometime.

Yesterday I roasted a whole chicken. I tried a new method and it turned out really good. Instead of using a rack I thickly sliced an onion and a few celery stalks to put underneath. Stuffed with a whole bulb of garlic sliced in half and one lemon sliced in half. Roasted it for about 1 1/2 hours at 425. The only mistake I made was I put too much Creole seasoning on it and the some of the seasoning burned at the high temp. DH loved the crispy skin, but I thought it was a little too charred. But other than that it was great. Much easier too than the way I normally make a whole chicken.

Everyone have a fabulous Mardi Gras!

#728   2014/03/04 03:04PM
    calliope

I'm here Lucy! I have been reading but don't have much to contribute! No cooking or excitement here!
    I did go posh with my son this weekend. He wanted to go to the Breakers Hotel for lunch. This high rolling bartender who has a hard time making it through summers! I guess a splurge once every couple of years won't hurt him! The Breakers is a very old gorgeous hotel on Palm Beach. Very $$$$$. It was a nice lunch overlooking the ocean. Here's how expensive that place is. He ordered a Stone Crab Claw, one mind you, for $31.00 as an appetizer! The food was good. I had yellowtail snapper but I can tell you I have had just as good or better at local seafood restaurants. The rich certainly live a different life.
    I hope everyone is feeling good and has shaken that crappy flu stuff that has been making the rounds. So far I have been lucky.
    HC I looked at a roaster last weekend but didn't buy it. I love roast chicken and it will feed me for 5 days in different forms.
    Calypso, did you get your fresh fish? Bet it was better than The Breakers!

#729   2014/03/05 06:27AM
    Homesick Cajun

Good morning all!

Calliope, I hate the rack that came with my roasting pan. That's why I tried this recipe putting onion and celery under the chicken. It's also why I mostly bake whole chickens as opposed to roasting them. Roasting is so much easier and we really like it better, but my rack is such a pain to clean. That's why I was so excited when this worked! If I had tried this first I might not have even bought my pan. Any baking pan will work for this. Next time I'm going to put more veggies in like carrots and potatoes and do the whole thing in one pan. I may only use my rack for cooling cookies from here on out!

I was going to make Jambalaya yesterday for Mardi Gras but I didn't have everything I needed so I made meat sauce instead. We had spaghetti and garlic bread.

Hope everyone has a great Wednesday!

#730   2014/03/05 07:16AM
    calliope

Quote Homesick Cajun: Good morning all!

Calliope, I hate the rack that came with my roasting pan. That's why I tried this recipe putting onion and celery under the chicken. It's also why I mostly bake whole chickens as opposed to roasting them. Roasting is so much easier and we really like it better, but my rack is such a pain to clean. That's why I was so excited when this worked! If I had tried this first I might not have even bought my pan. Any baking pan will work for this. Next time I'm going to put more veggies in like carrots and potatoes and do the whole thing in one pan. I may only use my rack for cooling cookies from here on out!

I was going to make Jambalaya yesterday for Mardi Gras but I didn't have everything I needed so I made meat sauce instead. We had spaghetti and garlic bread.

Hope everyone has a great Wednesday!

Red gravy! That's what I remember spaghetti sauce being called in NO.

« 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list