recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Soaps.com - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: What's for dinner?

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

What's for dinner?

Started by calliope at 2013/07/25 03:06PM
    Latest post: 2014/09/26 01:32PM, Views: 17803, Replies: 883
    « 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 » »| page:
    #611   2013/12/17 05:13AM
    Re: What's for dinner?
    Homesick Cajun

Quote LucyT:
    Quote calliope: I vow that next year at this time I will have retired and will have the time, and inclination, to do fun things like this for Christmas. Even if I don't like to bake!

Calliope I hope you have a great retirement.I hate the mess baking makes.Probably because I am the messiest cook of all times and I hate messes!!!I hope someday I will get over it LOL

Oh, Lucy, the mess is half the fun! I can always tell when I've had a good time when flour is all over the floor, the counter tops, my mixer and most importantly ME!

#612   2013/12/17 05:17AM
    Homesick Cajun

Yesterday I made a big pot of chili! Normally I make it solely for DH but I've been craving it lately. I guess it's the time of year with the snow on the ground and football season having been in full swing. Chili just seems like the perfect dish.

Hope everybody is having a great week!

#613   2013/12/18 06:32AM
    Calypso

HC, I love chili and this time of year is the best time to make a pot of it!!

Here's a brunch recipe that's great for Christmas morning or New Year's Day!!

Ovenight French Toast

1 loaf good french bread
    8 eggs
    3 cups milk
    4 tsp sugar
    1 Tbsp vanilla
    1 tsp cinamon
    butter for the top before baking

Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Cut bread into 1-1/2 inch slices, and arrange in pan, cut side up. Beat eggs and remaining ingredients, except butter, and pour over bread. Cover with foil and refrigerate over night.
    In the morning, dot with butter. Put the pan in a cold oven, and bake uncovered for 45 minutes at 350. It will puff up.

I serve this with sausages and fruit, and of course maple syrup.
    It is easy to put together at night and then serves many people the next morning.
    Merry Christmas!!

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/12/18 06:34AM
    #614   2013/12/18 06:25PM
    LucyT

Quote Calypso: HC, I love chili and this time of year is the best time to make a pot of it!!

Here's a brunch recipe that's great for Christmas morning or New Year's Day!!

Ovenight French Toast

1 loaf good french bread
    8 eggs
    3 cups milk
    4 tsp sugar
    1 Tbsp vanilla
    1 tsp cinamon
    butter for the top before baking

Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Cut bread into 1-1/2 inch slices, and arrange in pan, cut side up. Beat eggs and remaining ingredients, except butter, and pour over bread. Cover with foil and refrigerate over night.
    In the morning, dot with butter. Put the pan in a cold oven, and bake uncovered for 45 minutes at 350. It will puff up.

I serve this with sausages and fruit, and of course maple syrup.
    It is easy to put together at night and then serves many people the next morning.
    Merry Christmas!!

I can not wait to make this yummy!!!Thank you!

#615   2013/12/18 06:26PM
    LucyT

Quote Homesick Cajun: Yesterday I made a big pot of chili! Normally I make it solely for DH but I've been craving it lately. I guess it's the time of year with the snow on the ground and football season having been in full swing. Chili just seems like the perfect dish.

Hope everybody is having a great week!

I made a big pot of Chili Sunday.I might of posted that and forgot? It does seem like the best Chili weather.

#616   2013/12/18 06:29PM
    LucyT

Quote Homesick Cajun:
    Quote LucyT:
    Quote Homesick Cajun:
    Quote LucyT:
    Quote calliope: When I was growing up, oh those many years ago, we had chili on Christmas Eve. There was usually a houseful of us and aunts and uncles. I was told Santa liked chili with his cookies. Christmas Day was turkey (again) and all the fixings. I pretty much kept that tradition after I was married but since my husband didn't like chili I would make him oyster stew.
    My daughter has Christmas now and the tradition has changed, as it should. Her husband is Slovakian and they had the big meal on Christmas Eve. He cooks and makes usually duck or goose. He also makes sauerkraut soup for Christmas Eve. Sounds worse than it is.
    I go to her house on Christmas morning to see the kids open gifts. I take artery clogging cheese and sausage English muffins for breakfast, which is pretty much just grazing. We decided long ago to simplify Christmas dinner, it is ham and a hash brown potato bake that I make plus other easy stuff. Everyone is usually tired so we stay away from too much kitchen duty!
    Lucy, how sweet of you to cook a meal for another family. That is really the spirit.

I have been thinking about moving our big meal to Christmas eve and doing a simpler meal for Christmas day.It would make more sense because I cook on Christmas eve anyway and I am tired Christmas day sometimes I get grumpy

I am not the best cook but so many people want to give their families Christmas the way they remember it but are struggling and if I am cooking anyway I just double it or even take some of ours to the people close to me in our community.

I was nervous the first year we did it because I didn't want to embarrass anyone but I had a conversation with a woman who I went to school with. she was going to fix noodles for Christmas because she had flour and a can of broth.She used her grocery money to buy her two daughters a doll so they would have Santa gifts.She was working her husband was very ill with cancer and she also had her mother in law living at home with her who was having health problems.I could see the sadness and stress.I thought my God, I throw most of my Christmas dinner away!She lives around the corner from me this could be me.On Christmas I called her when I pulled in her drive and ask her to come out for a minute she cried and when she was taking it in her husband came out in the drive and asked if he could hug me.I know he didn't feel like walking out to the drive.It was so special.I still cry when I remember how sweet and simple it was to do that.

It seems so easy now to find someone who would like a meal at Christmas.Lots of times I tell them the truth we will have more than we need please take some.

Oh, Lucy, I cried reading that! It's truly so easy to make a difference in the lives of the less fortunate.

There are homeless guys that hang around the truck stop where DH parks for the night in Texas. He goes every Thursday. Before he leaves I always pack sandwiches and brownies or cookies for them. Whatever I have baked that week. They are so grateful when they see him pull up.

When he goes Christmas week, I'm going to bake a turkey and brownies. They love my peanut butter brownies!

Have you seen the Kohl's commercial? The one where the young couple decorate the elderly ladies apartment as a Christmas surprise. I cry my eyes out every time I see it. It's so sweet!

Making sandwiches and cookies for homeless people is a great idea.My older children go to a city close to use with a group and talk sandwiches cookies toiletries and socks to pass out.The first year they took white and black socks but one homeless man asked if he could have a black pair because they looked less dirty longer.So now they pass out only black socks.

I finally watched the commercial last night so sweet!
    I didn't know they made chastity belts for any thing LOL are you teasing me?I will have to look that up.

I hope you have s great week.

Not teasing about the chastity belt at all! Believe me, after last week, I wouldn't joke about it. LOL Last Wednesday I was ready to sharpen my kitchen shears and take care of Dega myself! LMAO

The devise is called PABS. It stands for Pet Anti-Breeding System. The inventor is from somewhere in Louisiana. Can't remember now where. But it's inexpensive. Only about 60.00. It would be worth it's weight in gold to me now!

OMG POOR Dega Buy that belt stat!!!LOL

#617   2013/12/21 07:49AM
    Homesick Cajun

Good morning all!

We've got snow! Anybody else? Sadly, it won't still be around for Christmas. Supposed to be out of here by Monday, then coming again the end of the week, but not in time.

Lucy, yep wish I'd known about that belt before this last round. Will definitely have it before next time.

Calypso, your brunch sounds fabulous! I saw a strawberry and cream cheese french toast brunch bake I'm going to try soon. If it turns out as good as it sounds, I'll post it for everyone.

I've really got nothing to report, just wanted to drop in and see how everyone's weekend was going. DH was out of town most of the week, so I've been cleaning out the fridge and living on leftovers.

He's going to be home now for the next five days. I'll be pulling my hair out before it's over. Love him dearly, but don't like anyone under foot for that long. Sounds terrible, I know. I'd make a great recluse.

Making a pork tenderloin today with a garlic, thyme, rosemary and creole rub. With au gratin potatoes.

So, that's it for me today. Getting ready to watch some bowl games. So sad the college football season is winding down.

Everybody have a wonderful weekend!

#618   2013/12/23 08:13AM
    LucyT

Hi all, no snow right now it all melted in to a wet rainy grey mess.

Did not find beef tenderloin any where .
    I will be cooking three hams tomorrow one for us and two for other families.

worst of all I still haven't wrapped anything!!!
    It will all get done though because it always does.

I hope you all have the best Holiday

#619   2013/12/24 04:31AM
    calliope

I want to wish you all a Merry, Merry Christmas! I hope you all enjoy your family time and the surprises Santa brings you.
    This is a bittersweet Christmas for me, I miss my son so much, he loved holidays. My dear SIL died 2 weeks ago and my brother, her husband, has been told he has 3-6 months. It's been a tough 3 months for our family. BUT we also welcomed new life into our family....my absolutely perfect, gorgeous great grandson. He has brought us great joy.
    My granddaughters are still young enough to be very excited at Christmas time so it spills over to the rest of us! We will celebrate and enjoy each other.
    Blessed Christmas to all my soapy friends! Eat well!

#620   2013/12/24 07:10AM
    Calypso

Merry Christmas to HC, LucyT, and Calliope and any others who come here to talk about cooking and food.

I hope everyone has a great holiday with family and friends, sharing times to make new memories and eating great food that is cooked with love.

Safe travels everyone, God Jul!!

« 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list