recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Soaps.com - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: What's for dinner?

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

What's for dinner?

Started by calliope at 2013/07/25 03:06PM
    Latest post: 2014/04/17 04:46AM, Views: 12489, Replies: 806
    « 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 » »| page:
    #591   2013/12/13 07:58AM
    Re: What's for dinner?
    LucyT

Quote Calypso: Hi Lucy,
    I am Swedish, so we have a great dinner on Christmas Eve.....
    We have Swedish meatballs@gravy (my Nana's recipe) served with a potato casserole, cucumbers with dill dressing lingonberry sauce, and limpa bread( a Swedish dark bread with a zest on orange), plus lots of Swedish cookies....
    We also open a few presents.....

On Christmas Day we have pastries and fruit while we open presents with champagne.......Christmas dinner is usually a beef tenderloin roast with mashed potatoes, and some kind of salad....Dessert this year is angel food cake with chocolate whipped cream frosting.

What do you do?

You always have the best menu.My husband loves Swedish meatballs I will find a recipe and make them.

On Christmas eve we usually do a candle light church service ,drive thru a light display at the local park,and read Christmas stories to each other and try to get our kids to sleep.
    We have a family we cook for early on Christmas eve so we deliver that also.
    Christmas the kids drag us out of bed sometimes before we make it to sleep so they can open gifts.We have muffins and fruit for breakfast but Champagne sounds delicious.
    We always have ham and a potato dish like twice baked,Rolls,a vegetable asparagus this year,Apple pie and left over Santa cookies foe dessert.
    We have an open door policy always at are home so I never know who will come by.

I noticed that you called your grandma Nana.We called mine that also she has been gone 2 years now and I am still working to find our Christmas tradition with out her.
    When she was alive we all I mean 50 of use spent Christmas and Christmas eve together at her home and as we grew to 50 in numbers we started renting a local lodge for the Holiday.It was very special all the cousins aunts and uncle together.I took it for granted.

I like your tradition of a nice Christmas eve dinner and I love the idea of beef tenderloin my family likes beef much more than ham. I haven't ever fixed one.I would love any recipes you feel like sharing.If you have time.

#592   2013/12/13 10:16AM
    Homesick Cajun

Hmmmm, now this is strange. I posted in here Wednesday but I don't see it. Guess I didn't hit add and hit cancel by mistake.

Oh, well, let's see if I can remember.

Lucy, I know I told you that you were definitely not the only snow bunny here. LOL It's snowing now, matter of fact. We've got a one two punch this weekend. Clear tomorrow and snow again on Sunday. It's truly beautiful on the mountains. Hate DH has to drive in it though.

As for Christmas traditions, normally I bake a ham on Christmas eve then on Christmas day we have a big brunch then have steaks in the evening.

That's something that I grew up with. Mom always baked a ham then on Christmas morning, that was the one day of the year that my dad always made breakfast. He did it other times too, but always Christmas day. Then he'd grill steaks in the evening. So dad did the cooking all day. Guess that was kinda his present to my mom. He cooked so she didn't have to.

I'm thinking of breaking with tradition this year and maybe doing a roast of some kind. Really need to make up my mind.

Been a crazy week, guess that's why I messed up my post. Bristol's in heat and Dega's a nervous wreck!

We had puppies back in the spring and I don't want them again this soon. Maybe next spring but not now and keeping them separate has been a full time job!

Hope everyone is having a great week! I'm ready for the weekend! DH is coming home tonight so he gets to keep the "kids" separate and I'm going to lock myself in a bubble bath then go to bed!!

#593   2013/12/13 12:50PM
    calliope

When I was growing up, oh those many years ago, we had chili on Christmas Eve. There was usually a houseful of us and aunts and uncles. I was told Santa liked chili with his cookies. Christmas Day was turkey (again) and all the fixings. I pretty much kept that tradition after I was married but since my husband didn't like chili I would make him oyster stew.
    My daughter has Christmas now and the tradition has changed, as it should. Her husband is Slovakian and they had the big meal on Christmas Eve. He cooks and makes usually duck or goose. He also makes sauerkraut soup for Christmas Eve. Sounds worse than it is.
    I go to her house on Christmas morning to see the kids open gifts. I take artery clogging cheese and sausage English muffins for breakfast, which is pretty much just grazing. We decided long ago to simplify Christmas dinner, it is ham and a hash brown potato bake that I make plus other easy stuff. Everyone is usually tired so we stay away from too much kitchen duty!
    Lucy, how sweet of you to cook a meal for another family. That is really the spirit.

#594   2013/12/14 05:53AM
    LucyT

Quote Homesick Cajun: Hmmmm, now this is strange. I posted in here Wednesday but I don't see it. Guess I didn't hit add and hit cancel by mistake.

Oh, well, let's see if I can remember.

Lucy, I know I told you that you were definitely not the only snow bunny here. LOL It's snowing now, matter of fact. We've got a one two punch this weekend. Clear tomorrow and snow again on Sunday. It's truly beautiful on the mountains. Hate DH has to drive in it though.

As for Christmas traditions, normally I bake a ham on Christmas eve then on Christmas day we have a big brunch then have steaks in the evening.

That's something that I grew up with. Mom always baked a ham then on Christmas morning, that was the one day of the year that my dad always made breakfast. He did it other times too, but always Christmas day. Then he'd grill steaks in the evening. So dad did the cooking all day. Guess that was kinda his present to my mom. He cooked so she didn't have to.

I'm thinking of breaking with tradition this year and maybe doing a roast of some kind. Really need to make up my mind.

Been a crazy week, guess that's why I messed up my post. Bristol's in heat and Dega's a nervous wreck!

We had puppies back in the spring and I don't want them again this soon. Maybe next spring but not now and keeping them separate has been a full time job!

Hope everyone is having a great week! I'm ready for the weekend! DH is coming home tonight so he gets to keep the "kids" separate and I'm going to lock myself in a bubble bath then go to bed!!

I wondered where you had been but didn't want to make you feel guilty

So happy to see you post!Good luck keeping the babies separated!!!

#595   2013/12/14 06:26AM
    LucyT

Quote calliope: When I was growing up, oh those many years ago, we had chili on Christmas Eve. There was usually a houseful of us and aunts and uncles. I was told Santa liked chili with his cookies. Christmas Day was turkey (again) and all the fixings. I pretty much kept that tradition after I was married but since my husband didn't like chili I would make him oyster stew.
    My daughter has Christmas now and the tradition has changed, as it should. Her husband is Slovakian and they had the big meal on Christmas Eve. He cooks and makes usually duck or goose. He also makes sauerkraut soup for Christmas Eve. Sounds worse than it is.
    I go to her house on Christmas morning to see the kids open gifts. I take artery clogging cheese and sausage English muffins for breakfast, which is pretty much just grazing. We decided long ago to simplify Christmas dinner, it is ham and a hash brown potato bake that I make plus other easy stuff. Everyone is usually tired so we stay away from too much kitchen duty!
    Lucy, how sweet of you to cook a meal for another family. That is really the spirit.

I have been thinking about moving our big meal to Christmas eve and doing a simpler meal for Christmas day.It would make more sense because I cook on Christmas eve anyway and I am tired Christmas day sometimes I get grumpy

I am not the best cook but so many people want to give their families Christmas the way they remember it but are struggling and if I am cooking anyway I just double it or even take some of ours to the people close to me in our community.

I was nervous the first year we did it because I didn't want to embarrass anyone but I had a conversation with a woman who I went to school with. she was going to fix noodles for Christmas because she had flour and a can of broth.She used her grocery money to buy her two daughters a doll so they would have Santa gifts.She was working her husband was very ill with cancer and she also had her mother in law living at home with her who was having health problems.I could see the sadness and stress.I thought my God, I throw most of my Christmas dinner away!She lives around the corner from me this could be me.On Christmas I called her when I pulled in her drive and ask her to come out for a minute she cried and when she was taking it in her husband came out in the drive and asked if he could hug me.I know he didn't feel like walking out to the drive.It was so special.I still cry when I remember how sweet and simple it was to do that.

It seems so easy now to find someone who would like a meal at Christmas.Lots of times I tell them the truth we will have more than we need please take some.

#596   2013/12/14 07:49AM
    Homesick Cajun

Quote LucyT:
    Quote calliope: When I was growing up, oh those many years ago, we had chili on Christmas Eve. There was usually a houseful of us and aunts and uncles. I was told Santa liked chili with his cookies. Christmas Day was turkey (again) and all the fixings. I pretty much kept that tradition after I was married but since my husband didn't like chili I would make him oyster stew.

I have been thinking about moving our big meal to Christmas eve and doing a simpler meal for Christmas day.It would make more sense because I cook on Christmas eve anyway and I am tired Christmas day sometimes I get grumpy

I am not the best cook but so many people want to give their families Christmas the way they remember it but are struggling and if I am cooking anyway I just double it or even take some of ours to the people close to me in our community.

I was nervous the first year we did it because I didn't want to embarrass anyone but I had a conversation with a woman who I went to school with. she was going to fix noodles for Christmas because she had flour and a can of broth.She used her grocery money to buy her two daughters a doll so they would have Santa gifts.She was working her husband was very ill with cancer and she also had her mother in law living at home with her who was having health problems.I could see the sadness and stress.I thought my God, I throw most of my Christmas dinner away!She lives around the corner from me this could be me.On Christmas I called her when I pulled in her drive and ask her to come out for a minute she cried and when she was taking it in her husband came out in the drive and asked if he could hug me.I know he didn't feel like walking out to the drive.It was so special.I still cry when I remember how sweet and simple it was to do that.

It seems so easy now to find someone who would like a meal at Christmas.Lots of times I tell them the truth we will have more than we need please take some.

Oh, Lucy, I cried reading that! It's truly so easy to make a difference in the lives of the less fortunate.

There are homeless guys that hang around the truck stop where DH parks for the night in Texas. He goes every Thursday. Before he leaves I always pack sandwiches and brownies or cookies for them. Whatever I have baked that week. They are so grateful when they see him pull up.

When he goes Christmas week, I'm going to bake a turkey and brownies. They love my peanut butter brownies!

Have you seen the Kohl's commercial? The one where the young couple decorate the elderly ladies apartment as a Christmas surprise. I cry my eyes out every time I see it. It's so sweet!

#597   2013/12/14 11:06AM
    Calypso

Everyone's Christmas traditions sound wonderful!!

Here's my beef tenderloin roast recipe. A tenderloin roast is rather expensive, so an alternative is to use a top sirloin or top round roast and cook it the same way.
    But, to me nothing beats a tenderloin especially on a holiday.

2 lb tenderloin roast trimmed and tied with kitchen string
    4-6 sprigs of fresh rosemary
    4-6 shallots
    garlic cloves to taste
    olive oil
    salt and pepper

Remove beef from package trim and tie with string. Place on rack in baking pan. Place rosemary on top, shallots and garlic cloves around the roast. Pour olive oil on top to coat, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let sit on counter for 30 minutes to bring to room temp.

Roast in oven at 325 for 1 1/2 hours for rare to medium. Can be cooked a bit more for those who like medium well or well done. ( It is in my opinion a shame to cook it to well done). If you have a meat thermometer rare is 140, medium is 160. Take the roast out at 5-10 degrees ahead, as the roast will continue cooking.

Remove from oven and place roast on warm platter and cover with foil. Let it rest for 15 minutes. (very important to get the juices flowing into all parts of the meat) During this time take the roast pan with the drippings and place on burner. Remove any shallots or garlic that have become hard. Mush the rest up. Make a rue by adding flour, cooking till bubbly. Add water, stock wine to make the gravy stirring constantly. Add mushrooms, salt, pepper, rosemary.

Serve with choice of sides, but garlic mashed potato is my favorite.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

I'm making cookies today. The house smells so good!!

#598   2013/12/15 02:02PM
    Sinny

anyone have a good shortbread recipe

#599   2013/12/15 02:12PM
    calliope

Not me. I love shortbread. A friend of my mother, who was Scottish, used to make melt in your mouth shortbread. I have never tried it. Recipes look simple enough but there is something you have to get just right. HC probably has one. I am not a happy baker!

#600   2013/12/16 02:54AM
    Sinny

Quote calliope: Not me. I love shortbread. A friend of my mother, who was Scottish, used to make melt in your mouth shortbread. I have never tried it. Recipes look simple enough but there is something you have to get just right. HC probably has one. I am not a happy baker!

I am gonna make some today.. I made these brownies last night and have to share.. I have made them a few times now and they always work out.. I do cook them a bit longer than it said tho.. enjoy

www.recipegirl.com/2012/08/01/basement-brownies/

« 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list