recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Soaps.com - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: What's for dinner?

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

What's for dinner?

Started by calliope at 2013/07/25 03:06PM
    Latest post: 2014/07/23 02:31AM, Views: 14010, Replies: 817
    « 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 » »| page:
    #381   2013/09/24 06:52AM
    Re: What's for dinner?
    Homesick Cajun

Never mind about the ground beef recipe ideas. DH just requested my Mexican casserole. Since I have everything on hand I'm going to make that. Thanks anyway!!

#382   2013/09/24 10:03AM
    LucyT

Good after noon all I am hungry and not wanting to cook.I never want to cook.Frozen lasagna anyone?

I am going to be stealing more of your ideas so please don't stop posting.My family appreciates it

"Excellence is not a singular act it is a habit!"UMM WELL I am excellent at burning the soup while talking about our soaps!

#383   2013/09/25 05:03AM
    Homesick Cajun

Good Morning All!

Last night Mexican casserole. This is my recipe:

1 lb ground beef
    1 onion chopped
    1 bell pepper chopped
    2 cups salsa
    1 can black beans rinsed (I have used pintos for this)
    1/4 cup italian salad dressing
    1 packet taco seasoning
    1/4 teaspoon cumin
    1 small can green chilies
    1/4 cup sliced black olives
    1 cup cheese
    flour tortillas

Brown beef with onion and bell pepper. Stir in everthing else except cheese and tortillas.
    Spray baking dish and put a layer of tortillas, then half the meat mixture and half the cheese. Repeat. Cover and bake at 400 for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes more.

Sometimes I top it with lettuce and tomato. DH likes it when I put a layer of sour cream between the meat and cheese layers. I prefer it without the sour cream.

I have used this meat mixture for taco salads, tacos, nachos, as a dip. It's really versatile.

Tonight we are having ribs and corn on the cob! Stomach growling now just thinking about it!

Everybody have a great day!

#384   2013/09/25 11:36AM
    LucyT

Quote Homesick Cajun: Good Morning All!

Last night Mexican casserole. This is my recipe:

1 lb ground beef
    1 onion chopped
    1 bell pepper chopped
    2 cups salsa
    1 can black beans rinsed (I have used pintos for this)
    1/4 cup italian salad dressing
    1 packet taco seasoning
    1/4 teaspoon cumin
    1 small can green chilies
    1/4 cup sliced black olives
    1 cup cheese
    flour tortillas

Brown beef with onion and bell pepper. Stir in everthing else except cheese and tortillas.
    Spray baking dish and put a layer of tortillas, then half the meat mixture and half the cheese. Repeat. Cover and bake at 400 for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes more.

Sometimes I top it with lettuce and tomato. DH likes it when I put a layer of sour cream between the meat and cheese layers. I prefer it without the sour cream.

I have used this meat mixture for taco salads, tacos, nachos, as a dip. It's really versatile.

Tonight we are having ribs and corn on the cob! Stomach growling now just thinking about it!

Everybody have a great day!

My family will love this.
    I am having a parade day get together soon will have maybe 100 people in and out through out the day.
    What should I serve have on hand?
    It will probably be cold at the end of October here.

#385   2013/09/25 03:45PM
    Calypso

Wow!! 100 people!!! Do you have to provide all the food yourself, or will some people bring things, like a pot luck? Is it for a meal, or just a snack?

My first thought was a couple kinds of soup with sandwiches. You could make or buy the soup ahead of time. The sandwiches could be finger ones filled with chicken, tuna, egg, or ham salad. Or wraps with turkey, ham, or roast beef that could be cut into 3/4 pieces. Brownies/bars/cookies for dessert.

I hope someone is helping you get this all together, Lucy!!
    I'll try to think of more ideas.
    What kind of parade?

#386   2013/09/25 04:02PM
    Homesick Cajun

Lucy, that's quite a crowd! Appetizers? Snack kind of things? I've got a couple of recipes for appetizers for about fifty people. I'll post them tomorrow if that'w what you're looking for. I like to pick up a bunch of things like egg rolls from the local Chinese place. The Mexican recipe I posted can easily be doubled or tripled for that matter and you could use it as a dip. I've got a really good recipe for ham and cheese sliders I can post tomorrow. Wow, good luck with this one girl!

#387   2013/09/25 06:05PM
    calliope

Lucy, if it is an in and out kind of gathering I would try to stick to finger foods. Sliders, shrimp, little sandwiches, wings...depends on your crowd. Go back a few pages to my bean salsa, makes a lot and people love it. I would do as much make ahead stuff as possible.

#388   2013/09/25 06:38PM
    LucyT

Quote Calypso: Wow!! 100 people!!! Do you have to provide all the food yourself, or will some people bring things, like a pot luck? Is it for a meal, or just a snack?

My first thought was a couple kinds of soup with sandwiches. You could make or buy the soup ahead of time. The sandwiches could be finger ones filled with chicken, tuna, egg, or ham salad. Or wraps with turkey, ham, or roast beef that could be cut into 3/4 pieces. Brownies/bars/cookies for dessert.

I hope someone is helping you get this all together, Lucy!!
    I'll try to think of more ideas.
    What kind of parade?

I am doing it all. when I moved home a few months ago I bought a house on the parade route, oops!We have a fall harvest parade every year and festival .A big deal for our tiny town. LOL ,so my family and friends are expecting to drop in for bathroom breaks.My home used to belong to my great aunt and was a hub on parade day.so I kind of asked for it.

#389   2013/09/25 06:40PM
    LucyT

Quote Homesick Cajun: Lucy, that's quite a crowd! Appetizers? Snack kind of things? I've got a couple of recipes for appetizers for about fifty people. I'll post them tomorrow if that'w what you're looking for. I like to pick up a bunch of things like egg rolls from the local Chinese place. The Mexican recipe I posted can easily be doubled or tripled for that matter and you could use it as a dip. I've got a really good recipe for ham and cheese sliders I can post tomorrow. Wow, good luck with this one girl!

yes that sounds great it will be eating on the fly if you know what I mean in and out most likely.

#390   2013/09/25 06:45PM
    LucyT

Quote calliope: Lucy, if it is an in and out kind of gathering I would try to stick to finger foods. Sliders, shrimp, little sandwiches, wings...depends on your crowd. Go back a few pages to my bean salsa, makes a lot and people love it. I would do as much make ahead stuff as possible.

I just got to your post.Yes you nailed it in and out all day.I made that dip for my family reunion it was a huge hit.I forgot to post that.Thank you Calliope.

I am glad to see you post.That dip fills you up too.

« 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list