recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Soaps.com - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: What's for dinner?

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

What's for dinner?

Started by calliope at 2013/07/25 03:06PM
    Latest post: 2014/09/26 01:32PM, Views: 16964, Replies: 883
    « 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 » »| page:
    #371   2013/09/19 07:37AM
    Re: What's for dinner?
    Homesick Cajun

Quote LucyT:
    Quote Homesick Cajun: Good morning!

I forgot to post in here yesterday! As you can see, I didn't run away from home. Two doses each of doggy pepto bismol and I am happy to report all is well. Now I have to shampoo the carpet. Grateful we didn't have to make a trip to the vet though.

Tuesday, since everybody was sick, I was in a hurry and threw a pork sirloin roast in the crock pot with some fresh mushrooms, onions, Italian seasoning, a couple of bay leaves. I had never made a port sirloin before, only the tenderloin. But this one was the best port roast I think I have ever made. And I was in such a hurry to get it started I really didn't do much to it. Always strange to me when the least amount of effort on my part sometimes has the best results.

Last night we had leftover spaghetti and garlic bread.

Everyone have a great day!

Happy you didn't run away.I will try your sirloin I haven't before we don't eat a lot of pork other than bacon.
    We had spaghetti last night.

Hi Lucy! We eat a lot of pork. I like it because it's cheap and really versatile. Also, we really like pork. DH picked up this sirloin on sale. So this is what I did.
    Sliced one onion and put it on the bottom of the crock pot.
    The pork roast was a little over four pounds so I cut it in to three pieces. Salt, pepper, garlic powder and lightly floured each piece then seared it off on every side. Then put it in the pot on top of the onion. In the same skillet sauteed some fresh mushrooms (canned would be fine) in butter then threw them in. I didn't measure anything, I put some Italian seasoning, parsley, oregano, two bay leaves, rosemary, thyme and I think that's all on top of the meat. Put a few splashes of worchestshire sauce over all. Cooked it on high for about five hours. My crock pot is old and doesn't work on low anymore. So you could, I'm sure, cook it on low for about six or seven hours. If I remember anything else I put in for seasoning I'll let you know. But I think that's all I did. You could add or eliminate any of the seasoning I used. For me a little bit of rosemary goes a long way, so I didn't put much of that, but if you like it, go for it! LOL That's what I love about cooking. I just like to play!!

Enjoy!

#372   2013/09/19 08:16AM
    LucyT

Quote Homesick Cajun:
    Quote LucyT:

I forgot to post in here yesterday! As you can see, I didn't run away from home. Two doses each of doggy pepto bismol and I am happy to report all is well. Now I have to shampoo the carpet. Grateful we didn't have to make a trip to the vet though.

Tuesday, since everybody was sick, I was in a hurry and threw a pork sirloin roast in the crock pot with some fresh mushrooms, onions, Italian seasoning, a couple of bay leaves. I had never made a port sirloin before, only the tenderloin. But this one was the best port roast I think I have ever made. And I was in such a hurry to get it started I really didn't do much to it. Always strange to me when the least amount of effort on my part sometimes has the best results.

Happy you didn't run away.I will try your sirloin I haven't before we don't eat a lot of pork other than bacon.

Hi Lucy! We eat a lot of pork. I like it because it's cheap and really versatile. Also, we really like pork. DH picked up this sirloin on sale. So this is what I did.
    Sliced one onion and put it on the bottom of the crock pot.
    The pork roast was a little over four pounds so I cut it in to three pieces. Salt, pepper, garlic powder and lightly floured each piece then seared it off on every side. Then put it in the pot on top of the onion. In the same skillet sauteed some fresh mushrooms (canned would be fine) in butter then threw them in. I didn't measure anything, I put some Italian seasoning, parsley, oregano, two bay leaves, rosemary, thyme and I think that's all on top of the meat. Put a few splashes of worchestshire sauce over all. Cooked it on high for about five hours. My crock pot is old and doesn't work on low anymore. So you could, I'm sure, cook it on low for about six or seven hours. If I remember anything else I put in for seasoning I'll let you know. But I think that's all I did. You could add or eliminate any of the seasoning I used. For me a little bit of rosemary goes a long way, so I didn't put much of that, but if you like it, go for it! LOL That's what I love about cooking. I just like to play!!

Enjoy!

Thank you I think this will be Sunday Lunch/Dinner in this part of the country I love to crock pot so it's ready after church.

I love pork but my husband thinks he doesn't like it I think he's wrong

#373   2013/09/19 08:44AM
    calliope

Quote LucyT:

Yum, yum bacon! Last night I had. Bacon and tomato sandwich. I have started cooking my bacon in the oven and love it that way!
    I love a good pork roast, the ones that are falling apart like my mom made in her old fashioned pressure cooker. I do love my crock pot too!

#374   2013/09/19 10:54AM
    Calypso

Your recipe HC, sounds great. I love a good pork roast, especially one with the bones, like pork chops all together. Rosemary and garlic slathered on... One nice thing about fall coming, is the smells coming from the kitchen with a good roast in the oven.

Last night we went to a local restaurant for oysters and a few rum punches before they close for the season. I had them steam a lobster for me to go and the Captain brought home a burger. Tonight is left overs......

#375   2013/09/20 05:43AM
    calliope

Last night was a busy night so about 8:30 I ended up eating red pepper hummus, celery, red bell pepper and pita bread. I have no recipe for that!

#376   2013/09/20 02:42PM
    Calypso

All the summer folks have gone, so no more big grazing........

We're having empanadas tonight. Little meat pies that I make with ground beef and add a packet of dry onion soup mix, then shredded cheese. I put a generous teaspoon of the mixture in the center of the dough circles and close up, put egg wash on top and bake them. They puff up to about the size of your palm. Served with relishes and mustards. Side dish is fresh tomato and corn salad. I also bought ice cream from the local place before it closes down for the season......black raspberry for the Captain and mocha chip for me.

#377   2013/09/20 09:58PM
    LucyT

Quote calliope:
    Quote LucyT:

Yum, yum bacon! Last night I had. Bacon and tomato sandwich. I have started cooking my bacon in the oven and love it that way!
    I love a good pork roast, the ones that are falling apart like my mom made in her old fashioned pressure cooker. I do love my crock pot too!

BLT's sound good!I like it cooked in the oven also.

#378   2013/09/20 10:03PM
    LucyT

Quote Calypso: All the summer folks have gone, so no more big grazing........

We're having empanadas tonight. Little meat pies that I make with ground beef and add a packet of dry onion soup mix, then shredded cheese. I put a generous teaspoon of the mixture in the center of the dough circles and close up, put egg wash on top and bake them. They puff up to about the size of your palm. Served with relishes and mustards. Side dish is fresh tomato and corn salad. I also bought ice cream from the local place before it closes down for the season......black raspberry for the Captain and mocha chip for me.

If you miss all the summer folk maybe I can bring all 5 of my kids and we can do some grazing

Your empanadas sound good and your ice cream sound great!
    I might try the empanadas soon.

#379   2013/09/24 05:33AM
    Homesick Cajun

Quote Homesick Cajun: Hi Calypso!

Your day and dinner sound incredible! I'm like Lucy I'm landlocked too and hating every minute of it!

Ok, for the oatmeal cookies. I don't know why this recipe was rated so high. As is the cookies were crispy critters. The dogs love them. I don't recommend that, raisins are really not good for dogs. But I need to type this today for you before I forget all the changes I made to make them chewy. I didn't want crunchy either. So what you are about to read is almost entirely my creation.

3/4 cup butter
    3/4 cup sugar
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 1/2 cups flour (next time I am going to put 1 3/4 cup)
    Original recipe called for 1 1/4
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp cinnamon (be generous)
    pinch of salt
    2 3/4 cup oats (I used old fashioned)
    1 cup raisins (My raisins had been living in the pantry
    for awhile so I ran them under warm water for about
    5 minutes)

Cream butter and sugar
    Beat in eggs and vanilla
    Combine flour, soda, cinnamon, and salt
    Add dry mixture to butter mixture
    Stir in oats and raisins

Ok, now are the changes I made. None of the following was included in original recipe.
    Batter will be pretty wet, cover and put in fridge at least 2 hours. I left mine in fridge overnight and they baked much better today. But at least 2 hours.
    Preheat oven to 350.
    Place a heaping teaspoon of dough (I bake cookies on parchment paper) no more than 6 or 7 cookies on cookie sheet. They are going to spread out a lot!
    Bake for no longer than 8 minutes. Set your handy dandy kitchen timer and when it goes off take those babies out!!
    Do not pass go, do not collect 200.00 TAKE THEM OUT!
    They will not appear done AT ALL! But trust me, they are.
    One more minute with these makes all the difference between chewy and crunchy.
    They should be ever so lightly brown around the edges and look very wet and shiny in the middle. They are done!
    Let them sit on parchment paper no longer than 10 minutes. I've never had this problem before, but after that long they tried to stick to the parchment paper. Then transfer to a plate or rack to finish cooling completely.
    After the first few batches I turned my oven down to 325 for the last few batches. My oven is an antique, you may not have that problem.

Anyway, if I remember anything else I did I'll let you know. I plan to make them again, but I think next time I'll increase the flour at least 1/4 cup.
    So, good luck, after my changes these turned out great.

Whew!!!

Wanted to bring this back to the front. I plan to make these again today and couldn't find my recipe! Thank Calliope for this thread! Also, never wrote down all my changes anyway. So glad Calypso asked me for this recipe! Otherwise I'd have to start all over! LOL

#380   2013/09/24 05:53AM
    Homesick Cajun

Good morning all!

Came in here Saturday to post and saw calliope's post and needless to say, I completely forgot what I had even come to the lounge to do. Calliope, please take care my friend. It will take time, I don't have to tell you that. Take it one day at a time. Was so good to see you on the board yesterday!

Last weekend we had baked chicken, egg noodles with mushroom and onion gravy. Just finished the leftovers last night. So, trying to decide now what I'm going to do for tonight. Looking for a ground beef casserole recipe. If you guys have a favorite, let me know. I have several, but want something different. So I'll check back later.

Everybody have a great day!

« 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list