As the World Turns - NEWS ROOM

In our 'As The World Turns' News Room, Soaps.com keeps you up-to-date with the latest Soap Opera news on the net. We also feature interviews with the soap stars, as well as local appearances by the actors and actresses.

ATWT Couple Makes the New York Times!

Wednesday, May 21 2008

Traditionally a serious international political newspaper, the New York Times featured a story on May 15, 2008, about the gay teen super couple from As the World Turns, Luke Snyder, played by Van Hansis, and Noah, played by Jake Silberrman, or "Nuke"!

While the story covers the turmoil that the dynamic duo has faced, the main focus is how this storyline is saving As the World Turns’ ratings! While other soaps are losing viewers in the coveted 18 to 37 demographic, Luke and Noah’s story has helped the soap gain viewers.

While not the first gay storyline on daytime, Luke and Noah’s relationship is challenging old concepts. The New York Times story reports that a video of Luke and Noah’s historic first kiss, the first gay kiss on daytime television, received over a million hits on YouTube!

With the help of viral videos, even popular gossip sites have featured the historic first kiss, as well as a continued discussion on the storyline itself. The dramatic storytelling of “Nuke’s” obstacles, are still what soaps fans tune in to watch.

Luke and Noah’s storyline continues to attract major news media coverage. While not the seasoned couple like Lily and Holden, their storyline is helping the world continue to turn for the veterans.

Posted by snooky_1 at Thursday, May 22 2008 02:49 AM

When Luke & Noah come on with their gay actions, I turn my head. They're disgusting to watch. It make me sick. I'm ready to shut it off, or watch another channel.

Posted by wmmichaud at Thursday, May 22 2008 08:16 AM

I don't like this part of the show either, it makes me sick.

Posted by GLandWT at Thursday, May 22 2008 10:21 AM

I think it's a sad day in SoapLand if a soap has to depend on a gay couple to retain its ratings.

Posted by cheryl69 at Thursday, May 22 2008 10:28 AM

I love Luke and Noah. It's everyday life for alot of people. It's 2008 not 1945!!

Posted by beckygirl69 at Thursday, May 22 2008 04:14 PM

It's a shame that any newspaper would waste space writing about these two. There are so many more important things going on in the world right now. GAS PRICES and our Soldiers in Iraq, the presidential election.

Posted by ghatwtfan01 at Friday, May 23 2008 04:16 PM

I'm sorry but I would rather you keep your comments to yourself. It's okay that you feel uncomfortable watching two men kiss but is it really any different than watching a man and a woman kiss. In my opinion their story is a beautiful one and a groundbreaking one showing that two men can fall in love in a traditional manner just like Holden and Lily or Bob and Kim. And this is kind of a big deal... I guess it may not be traditional Times material but it is a big thing that ATWT is showing it just like they would with a heterosexual couple and the fact that they can kiss. I can recall a day when (on Melrose Place) the one gay main character, Matt never had a kiss. He always hugged his lovers and it was implied that they slept together and on Thirtysomething when two men went to bed together it was badly criticized and not long before that ATWT had the first major homosexual male character on Daytime television that wasn't just hinted at and he never had a boyfriend if I am correct. This is a big improvement and big news so for all of those complaining that this is "so unlike ATWT" a "show that once had good old-fashioned morals" there was a gay male in the 80s. And I think your discrimination should be kept to yourself. If racist comments were made, the post would be deleted but apparently homosexual discrimination hasn't been so please just don't post it.

Posted by ghatwtfan01 at Friday, May 23 2008 04:17 PM

And why is it sad that a soap must rely on a gay couple? Its just like one relying on a straight one.

Posted by keytonblows at Saturday, May 24 2008 07:24 AM

Why don't you take your own advice and you not post?
    Last time I checked this was America and people were free to express themselves just like your precious couple. I didn't see anything discrimitory in the comment, I read a comment that says there are more important things going on in the world than two guys kissing on some soap opera. I agree there are more important things that deserve our attention and for the record these two guys will never be like Kim and Bob or Lily and Holden, because the last time I checked a guy couldn't birth no baby.

Posted by Capricorn35 at Tuesday, July 01 2008 09:03 PM

Wow,

The posters on this site never fail me!!! Where ever I can find Nuke support, you will always find someone who hates the story line or is the first poster against it. This storyline is not disgusting, it's just something some people would not do. As the article stated, this storyline is obviously popular, it's keeping the soap going!

But you know what? ... if the few non-supporting, closed minded people who post here want to have a voice.... let them, they are most likely the only people who hate the storyline..... They need a place to vent :-(

I mean so what if we have characters who steal from their family members, over and over, and characters who sleep with their cousins, on CBS or characters who have children by every woman in town, or characters who kissing cousins (Parker and Liberty), in-laws having affairs (Carly and Holden)..... let those story lines go with no complaints, but let two boys fall in love, and it's grounds to stop watching the soap!

Yes gas prices, the war, and the election are important, very important to the American people, but people watch a soap to escape these real world issues.