As the World Turns - NEWS ROOM

In our 'As The World Turns' News Room, Soaps.com keeps you up-to-date with the latest Soap Opera news on the net. We also feature interviews with the soap stars, as well as local appearances by the actors and actresses.

Scott Bryce is Leaving ATWT!

Thursday, January 24 2008

Scott Bryce showed a softer side of Craig. (Soaps.com)
    When news broke this week that Scott Bryce, Craig, was leaving As The World Turns a lot of the Oakdale faithful were heartbroken. It seemed that we just got our original-Craig back, and suddenly he is leaving the show? How could it be?

Well, we all know that actors come and go from the soaps, but for many fans there is no Craig like Scott's Craig. In the past few months he has turned the character around by giving him a heart, albeit a heart still masked in evil-business-tycoon foil.

Rumor has it that he was fired from the show over the Christmas holidays,but that has not been confirmed to us at Soaps.com. A show spokesperson sent us the following statement from Scott.

"I love and respect the cast and crew of As The World Turns and hope their World continues to turn for years to come," said Scott Bryce.

But Craig still had his evil moments! (Soaps.com)
    Scott launched the character of Craig in 1982 and grabbed many viewers from the very beginning. Since coming to Oakdale Craig has been involved in criminal activity - everything from robberies to murder and even baby-napping - but that hasn't stopped fans from loving-to-hate the character.

Most recently, Craig was becoming a new and better man because of his relationship with Meg Snyder. After putting Rosanna into a coma over the true identity of Johnny, his son with Jennifer Donovan, Craig began to turn his character around. He convinced Meg to marry him in order to return Montgomery Enterprises (formerly Worldwide) to Lucinda Walsh. But once they were married and Paul was out of the picture, Meg began relying on Craig - and kept the company! When he learned she was pregnant, it was the icing on the cake for him and it seemed that Meg really was beginning to fall in love with Craig, too.

Then came the news that the paternity test results had been switched and that Paul Ryan was the real father. The "old" Craig returned - and considered causing Meg to miscarry the child - but ultimately the "new" Craig won out. Still, he has lost Meg's love. Now, with only his company will we still see the more tender side of Craig? Only time, and short time at that, will tell!

Two other actors (Hunt Block and Jeffrey Meek) have played the character over the years.

Scott Bryce has won several awards for his portrayal of Craig, including a Soap Opera Digest Award for Outstanding Hero (1988) and Daytime Emmy Nominations in 1986 and 1987.

In addition to his work in soaps, Scott has appeared on primetime shows such as "Law & Order", "Murphy Brown" and "The Facts of Life". He has also worked on the big screen in films like "Up Close and Personal" (with Michelle Pfeiffer).

We will keep you updated on Scott's status on the show and will pass along his final airdate as soon as we can.

Scott, you will be missed by your fans in Oakdale. Good luck in the future!

Posted by tetotomom at Thursday, January 24 2008 10:47 AM

With the firing of Scott Bryce as Craig and Dusty I most likely will discontinue to watch my favorite soap opera.

Posted by sandwaterwaves at Thursday, January 24 2008 12:39 PM

I think it is terrible that Scott is leaving this role.
    I loved him as the original Craig and love him today.
    He is too good for this show.

Posted by Keela at Thursday, January 24 2008 02:01 PM

I am so dissappointed that Scott is leaving. I have really enjoyed having him back. He brought more humanity to Craig better than anyone. I guess I should sarcastically thank the writters for not killing off Craig too. Umm, thanks.

P.S. Hunt Block is fantastic, if Scott can't be our Craig then what is Hunt up to??

Posted by angelicmystery at Thursday, January 24 2008 02:51 PM

I am going miss Scott Bryce. I like the heart he brought into Craig. I never saw him from the beginning because thats the year I was being born. But have enjoyed watching him this year and the past year. Maybe one day, he will come back again. I wish him the best in whatever he pursues next.

Posted by dwebster at Thursday, January 24 2008 03:32 PM

Well, TPTB have done it again. Another one of our favorites is leaving. There is no Craig like the original Craig, Scott Bryce,

Who is it that sits in the chair and makes these decisions? They should listen to the viewers who know what works. Remember, it is us viewers that save your jobs.

Posted by juanx36 at Thursday, January 24 2008 09:48 PM

Well that did it when Scott won't be back,it was bad enough for Dusty to be killed,now Scott is leaving as Craig!!!! He is the only one who can truly play Craig!! Guess I'll switch over to History channel. Have been a faithful viewer since 1956 but this is the final straw,two of my favorites in one week. What is wrong with you people at ATWT?????????

Posted by cathy4330 at Friday, January 25 2008 12:16 PM

I had quit watching ATWT for awhile, I just got tired of the back and forth with the characters, one day they got married, next day you just had to spoil it, The older cast is never seen, I have been watching for 37 years, I had enough, then you brought back the old Craig, I started watching again, what a delight he is, then you just have to let him go, along with Dusty. you do not appreciate what you have, take a good look at the other soaps that are doing what you just did, their viewer ship is down, the fans are what keep your shows on the air, no fans, no show. who ever is sitting up there making these decisions, should have their pay cut, or fire them. they are going to ruin this show.so now I will probably go back to watching reruns of 7th Heaven, at least they keep the stars on the show, and are not firing them at a whim. then trying to get them back. Guiding light ring a Bell?? Phillip???? think about it.

Posted by meinca at Saturday, January 26 2008 11:07 PM

I'm getting kind of scared. What direction is ATWT going? It sure seems like a lot of "execellent key players" are leaving. I have watched for 27 years. I never pictured my self watching. I think the show has been the best storylines and acting, I have seen since I first started watching. My gosh Scott coming back was fantastic. I almost though you might bring back Anthony (James Stenbeck), another talented actor. Please don't let us down. I hope you continue to give us excellent storylines, and most important...Great actors. And for the actors leaving. I hope you the very best. And "Thank You" for the great entertainment.

Posted by meinca at Saturday, January 26 2008 11:11 PM

I also agree that the only other person to pull off an awsome Craig, other than 1. Scott Bryce is a very very close behind Hunt Bock.

Posted by Empress T at Tuesday, January 29 2008 04:01 AM

Dusty one of the best now Craig another one of the best what is goin on in this show then Rosanna this story line is getting wierd WHOSE NEXT. now that he is changed to good old craig. I will definetly miss u SCOT good luck to you.

MORE COMMENTS: 1 2 3 4 » »| page: