As the World Turns - NEWS ROOM

In our 'As The World Turns' News Room, Soaps.com keeps you up-to-date with the latest Soap Opera news on the net. We also feature interviews with the soap stars, as well as local appearances by the actors and actresses.

ATWT Fans React to Dusty's Death!!

Tuesday, January 22 2008

How do you feel about Dusty's death? (Soaps.com)
    A soap star's life is never dull: they can be drug addicts one day and hospital administrators the next. But one thing is certain: death is always right around the corner. Last Friday the unthinkable happened in Oakdale: Dusty Donovan was killed!

Grayson McCouch, Dusty, joined the cast in 2003. Since his arrival he has built a loyal fanbase because of his relationship with Jennifer and their son Johnny. That also helped Dusty reconnect with the Munson family. However, after Jennifer's death everyone in town began to notice that Dusty was more withdrawn than ever before.

Late in 2007 he began an affair with Lily but callously called it off when Emily returned to town. He has been feuding with Chris Hughes and Evan Walsh IV in recent months, too. The affair, combined with a one-night-stand he had with Emily on New Year's Eve and the hospital feud put a huge spotlight on Dusty.

He was killed on January 18, 2008 when someone poisoned him at the hospital party for MEMO21.

Fans are outraged at the killing of their favorite Oakdale resident and have let their feelings be known. Here is what a few of them had to say:

Jen08 said, "I don't know why they have to kill off main characters like him, when they could just as easily have him leave town until they come up with another storyline for him."

Dusty was found in the research lab. (Soaps.com)
    Laner111 said, "Dusty has been a main character since the 80's. Why kill him off? Replace him (even though this Dusty is GREAT)."

Nazdrim said, "I loved Dusty. Not only (did)they kill him off, they didn't even bother to give him a good ending. Susan was giving him CPR like she actually was supposed to let him die. I loved Dusty and it was sad he never found happiness after Jennifer."

Gusfan28 said, "Gusfan28 said, "I watched ATWT for only Dusty, because he was a good guy, and when he needed to be, a bad guy. Like Barbara said. . .since he lost Jennifer, he never smiled or found true happiness, except when he was holding Johnny. Then he would smile and be the Dusty we knew and loved."

Matt99 said, "I loved when Grayson had been on Another World and was happy when he came to ATWT. He is an awesome actor."

DolphinQueen1987 said, "I want Dusty Back!!! He was a great actor and he was one hot man!! I miss him!! I hope he will come back!! I Love ya Dusty!!"

Tsteph1012 said, "Why couldn't they have written him off by having him go search for Jennifer's son? I always liked him very much, but I didn't buy that he was in love with Emily, especially not after what he had with Jennifer."

Gagal said, "I thought the whole thing was a disgrace to Dusty...In a hospital no less. I could have understood had they all been standing in the woods but to have two doctors just start basic CPR and never call a code or anything was beyond ridiculous. Why did they kill Dusty and not let him just leave town?"

What do you think about the murder of Dusty? Was it a good plot twist or should Dusty have simply left town for a few weeks or months and returned later (as a recast) with Johnny? Leave a comment here and your opinion could make it into our next article!

Remember, folks, death is hardly ever permanent in soapland. It could be that Dusty will return to Oakdale at some point in the future.

Posted by LINNIE1848 at Tuesday, January 22 2008 04:59 PM

I'm devastated at Dusty's death. He was the main reason I started watching the soap again. Hopefully, it's a ruse and he will return after a while.

Posted by PelphreyPosse at Tuesday, January 22 2008 09:40 PM

As a long time character on the show, there was no need to kill him off. They could have sent him off on a search for his missing son, or to find himself, or any number of reasons. This makes you wonder if the show will be on after July (when their contract expires) or if this is the first of many exits as they go into soap HISTORY.

Posted by sleekpat at Wednesday, January 23 2008 05:54 AM

STUPID, STUPID MISTAKE!!!! Dusty was a bad boy with a good heart. Grayson was one of the ONLY reasons I tuned in to the show, I had stopped watching until I heard he was being cast as Dusty, I loved him on Another World and ABSOLUTELY loved him on ATWT!!! This murder makes no sense to me, as I'm sure it makes no sense to the few fans the show has left... I taped it daily, and the days Dusty was on, I'd watch, now I doubt I will even tape it. His character was unique, so who's the badboy of the show now, Paul, Craig, Chris??? I DON'T THINKSO... They should have just sent him off to search for Lucy & Johnny. By the way, John Dixon practically raised him, will Larry Brygman be brought back for the funeral??? This is sad...

Posted by iowahawkeye at Wednesday, January 23 2008 08:55 AM

McCouch is easily one of the top 5 most appealing actors on this show. This was a STUPID move just to have a few good months of story. All needless, to say the least. I don't know what the writers are thinking. I loved the twist of Lily going a bit nutso, but it's a tad bit unrealistic even if it DOES make for good drama.

Posted by iowahawkeye at Wednesday, January 23 2008 10:09 AM

also Soffer and Landon are on their way out..that makes 5 MAJOR players in 1-3 months? yikes.

Posted by Hot2death at Wednesday, January 23 2008 10:33 AM

Poor writing. I didn't get to actually see the episode but I was still sadden when I read that Dusty had been killed. And for Holden and Lily to be implicated. WOW. Dusty should have been written off to go find Johnny or something. However I don;t think this is the last we've seen of Dusty in Oakdale!

Posted by tmw88 at Wednesday, January 23 2008 10:37 AM

I haven't seen a report saying that Grayson McCouch has left the show - all I've seen is that his character Dusty is dead, which means nothing in the soap world. I think it's a plot to expose Chris - I hope it works!

Posted by jacquie1962 at Wednesday, January 23 2008 01:08 PM

HOW COULD YOU KILL OFF ONE OF THE BEST ACTORS ON THIS SOAP??? NOW I KNOW THAT THERE IS PROBABLY A CONTRACT DISPUTE GOING ON AND THAT YOU GUYS COULDN'T COME UP WITH SOMETHING THAT BOTH PARTIES COULD AGREE ON, BUT PLEASE, PLEASE BRING HIM BACK (GRAYSON MCCOUCH)BECAUSE I KNOW THAT YOU GUYS CAN COME UP WITH SOMETHING THAT YOU BOTH CAN AGREE ON.

Posted by Lisa-Marie at Wednesday, January 23 2008 06:18 PM

I don't understand what strategy ATWT is trying to use by getting rid of core characters and keeping newbies constantly on-screen. There's still a giant hole with Mike, Simon, Jennifer, and Hal gone, but more people are leaving. There is news that Craig and Rosanna are out, which is too bad because a lot more could have been done with them besides making Craig Meg-obsessed and Rosanna Paul-obsessed. I can't say enough how devastated I am that Grayson McCouch and his character Dusty Donovan are off the show. My sister insists that Dusty isn't REALLY dead--in the world of soaps, that is possible, I suppose--but I'm still upset with the void that's left. McCouch is a wonderful actor and I loved the knight in shining armor in Dusty Donovan. Dusty was a great guy, and completely sexy. I realize that what's done is done, but I would rather have had Dusty either work with the police following the attempted murder and leave town, giving McCouch the opportunity to leave the canvas. Or Dusty Donovan could've gathered the incriminating info against Chris and Evan, handed it over to Margo, and left town in search of Lucy and Johnny--remember them? Sure, we would lose the whole Who Killed Dusty mystery, but we would have the opportunity to see him return someday, perhaps with Lucy and Johnny.

Here's hoping for a future back-from-the-dead storyline,

Lisa-Marie from Indiana

Posted by Keela at Wednesday, January 23 2008 07:22 PM

The writers are lazy. They knew they were about to strike so they put together a lame "who done it" storyline simply because one of their actors wanted a change. Best of luck to Grayson; however, the character of Dusty still had so much to offer Oakdale. I think it would have been best for Dusty to leave Oakdale to go to Lucy & Johnny. Reason #957 to hope to writer's strike gets resolved before we loose more beloved characters.