As the World Turns - NEWS ROOM

In our 'As The World Turns' News Room, Soaps.com keeps you up-to-date with the latest Soap Opera news on the net. We also feature interviews with the soap stars, as well as local appearances by the actors and actresses.

ATWT named "Best of 2007" by Soap Opera Digest

Tuesday, December 11 2007

Luke and Noah have heated up ATWT! (Soaps.com)
    In a year of soaps that was increasingly crazy (Dixie was killed off by pancakes on All My Children, John was just plain killed - or was he? - on Days Of Our Lives and a bomb blast lasted an entire sweeps period on General Hospital), As The World Turns has been recognized by one publication as being the best in the industry.

Soap Opera Digest named ATWT as tops in the industry and that top ranking could be from one particular storyline: that of Luke and Noah.

For the first time on daytime television, a gay storyline was portrayed from the beginning. And, though the romance is still in the beginning phases, the writers have said that they will play out "Nuke" in real time - meaning they will show first dates and first kisses and first. . .well, other things.

Fans were excited about Rosanna's return! (Soaps.com)
    Though this romance has really only just begun for a lot of the Oakdale faithful, it has been a long time coming. There are a lot of fans out there clamoring for more and more of the Luke/Noah pairing, and at the same time hoping and praying that the on-screen romance will live up to the hype.

And the good news for ATWT and Luke and Noah doesn't end there.

The actors portraying Luke (Van Hansis) and Noah (Jake Silbermann) were chosen by TV Guide as the 11th most powerful people in soaps. The only actor ahead of them in the Most Powerful list was Susan Flannery, Stephanie Forrester, The Bold and The Beautiful. The rest of the top eleven were producers, writers or heads of the various network daytime branches.

Luke and Noah (and their portrayers) aren't the only good things going in Oakdale of late, though. The return of Carly has been a huge boost for fans as has the return to Rosanna, though many fans have been vocal about the lack of a relevant storyline for Rosanna's character.

More good news could be coming down the pike, as well. Two members of the Hughes family (Daniel and Casey) are said to be returning. And rumors of another hunk's return - Simon! - has tongues wagging.

Now, if only all these rumored returns would come true - and come complete with great storylines, ATWT just might tromp the rest of the daytime competition at the Emmy's in 2008!

Posted by soapfan64 at Tuesday, December 11 2007 10:55 AM

Sorry I for one do NOT like the story line for Luke and Noah I fastforward through that part of the show call me old school or my beliefs but I do not believe in this conduct and I really don't like the idea of it being on tv. That is my opinion and my God given right. The rest of the show is good just wish this story line would go away!

Posted by misterdata at Tuesday, December 11 2007 11:23 AM

I am sorry you feel that way soapfan64. I actually started watching ATWT when I heard about Nuke. I am glad to see that they are going to continue with this storyline because it shows that all people are treated equal. It is your right not to watch it, but you cant keep it from being seen by others. Yes it is your opinion not to like it, but it is a change for the better overall. I know I am only one person, but being gay myself it is a turn of events that I am proud to enjoy in the soap world. I hope more shows will start with a mild storyline such as this.

Posted by lw1947 at Tuesday, December 11 2007 12:00 PM

This is very sad news. How can anyone think this is entertaining.

Posted by mrsslr at Tuesday, December 11 2007 01:02 PM

I agree with you 100% lw1947! I can't believe they actually won an award for this kind of material! I guess it is everyone's right to watch this if they wish, but I for one will be exercising my right when I change the channel! The whole gay storyline on Passions is, in my opinion, what brought it's downfall and caused it to be kicked off nbc. The show hasn't been the same since. If ATWT wants to follow in their foot steps, go for it. Those who wish to watch it will have to look it up on Dirct TV. If they bring this kind of stuff on the other soaps, then I guess I just won't watch soaps anymore.

Posted by mrsslr at Tuesday, December 11 2007 01:04 PM

I agree with you too soapfan64.

Posted by Y&R B&B fan at Tuesday, December 11 2007 11:12 PM

WOW. I can't believe all this blatant homophobia. Soapfan64, what exactly do you mean by "this conduct"? It's not like homosexuality is a "behavior" or a "choice". I am appalled. I thought this was 2007; not 1957. Homophobia is no more acceptable than racism.

Posted by snooky_1 at Wednesday, December 12 2007 05:06 AM

I, too, don't watch the scene when Luke & Noah are involved. Call it what you want, I don't like it, & refuse to watch it until they are gone.

Posted by snooky_1 at Wednesday, December 12 2007 05:12 AM

Chris & Emily just do not have the chemistry that she & Dusty generate. Lily & Holden are pathetic! What has happened to "my" favorite Soap Opera? Lucinda needs a meaty role. I like Paul, but not with Roseanna. Craig & Roseanna have the chemistry. What is going on in the writer's heads????

Posted by spiegee at Wednesday, December 12 2007 05:26 AM

Y&R B&B fan I am just as appalled as you are.

And before anyone gets all high and mighty saying something about the timing of the post, let me just remind you that not everyone reads these at the same time.

That's fine if you want to FF through the scenes, but to act as with such blatant disrespect to such a large population makes me sick to my stomach!!!! I can't believe that you are even allowed to post that way on this board. Are we over at the shady marlin now?

Posted by spiegee at Wednesday, December 12 2007 08:25 AM

soapfan64 - Since you're not posting anymore, you probably won't read this, but I thought I'd reply anyways. I wasn't trying to tell you that you can't have your opinion. The problem is that you are arguing that your opinion is the only correct opinion which is not the case. The clash of opinions is exactly why soap operas are as popular as they are. Just because I dont' agree with you doesn't mean I don't respect you as a person. What it means is that I don't respect the blatant way that you have been talking about a very real part of our culture in 2007.

As to why your posts are being deleted, I'm not sure, but it could have something to do with the all caps which are directly against the posts guidelines and are strictly enforced. Noone needs anyone yelling here.

I hate to see you go, but respect that it is your right just like it is everyone's right to be with whomever they wish. Who am I to judge?

I wish you and your family a very happy holidays!