List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

As the World Turns - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: As the World Turns Forum :: Reid and Luke..........Some Thoughts.........

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Reid and Luke..........Some Thoughts.........

Started by nonniepat at 2010/09/08 08:41AM
    Latest post: 2010/09/08 11:43AM, Views: 527, Replies: 6
    page:
    #1   2010/09/08 08:41AM
    Reid and Luke..........Some Thoughts.........
    nonniepat

There is probably another thread like this and if so I apologize but then again maybe not.

I realize that Reid and Luke are fictional characters but the way Eric and Van played them yesterday OMG I felt like I was seeing death for real; Reid dying for real. Thank God Eric himself is alright in reality.

I've experienced death in real life more than once. I was merely 13 when my father died and no I didn't see him die. I lost my beloved grandmother in my twenties and she went just too fast for me to get to her. My favorite Aunt was in another state when she died and my beloved mother, 6 years ago, passed and though I was with her at the moment she died I was not. My dad died quietly in the hospital without anyone there; my mother had just left and hardly in the front door when the call came in. But those with my grandmother, aunt and my siblings who were with my mother at the point of death have told me about what happened.

Yesterday I felt like I was watching death for real. Eric Stevens is such an awesome actor that he had me thinking he really was dying. And Luke, my god, the devastation in his eyes was unmistakeable.

Please don't think I'm too strange for this but as I watched (4 times last night) from the moment Luke realized Reid was the one on the gurney to the moment of the kiss and the heart monitor going off as he died I thought he really was dying.

I've heard it so many times in my life that most people can't talk close to the end and that many people know they are going to die or are dying. Granted Reid Oliver is a doctor so that's one reason but when he reached out forcefully to Luke stopping him and telling him he needed a lawyer not a doctor I just lost it. The difficulty speaking so realistic from those I've talked to that have seen someone die that it spooked me. Eric made it look so real. And his eyes! His eyes were at one time trying so hard to communicate and then as Tom and Luke argued over him his eyes became so still and blank (he didn't even blink) I thought he'd gone then. I swear I saw his lips moving a number of times and before he was able to say card I swear he said something like don't cry to Luke and tried first to say his name. And when Luke was talking to him with Tom in the room and he was nodding his head I swear his lips were moving then to or trying to. And OMG, he went so fast. Too fast. I wouldn't want him to suffer, fictional character or not, but there was no time he went way too fast.

Was I seeing things that just weren't there or did anyone else feel like it was so realistic?

And Van, OMG, he better get the Emmy for this one. The emotion that young man can display is incredible. And at the end when he walked back into the now empty ER room the haunting look in his eyes was heart wrenching. I kept saying over and over again to anyone that would listen that he was not alright and though I expected him to be broken apart when Reid died I was not expecting him to be so broken apart he looked lifeless himself. His eyes said it all, IMHO, he looked like the life spirit just went out of him.

Again I realize that I may be seeing things others didn't or what was not there but those scenes yesterday were beyond powerful. Both Eric and Van deserve the Emmy for their performances. Even Katie surpised me, she was so broken up and so shocked when Luke told her that she and Jacob gave Reid the only home he'd ever known and Reid loved her and Jacob too and considered them his family.

I know I could probably go through every second of each scene but I won't torture you; thank you for reading and please don't think I'm too strange or anything. But that show yesterday really affected me. I felt like I lost someone in my own life or something and I felt like I was going to get sick. I figured I'd be in tears, and I was but I was left feeling empty inside. Not empty for lack of a good show; the show was wonderful and great but empty like numb.

I hope this makes sense and I'm sorry for such a long post but thank you for reading and I hope no one is too critical of my emotional statement here. You've all been so nice to me even when we see things differently I appreciate your kindness and will miss all of you and our talk tremendously.

#2   2010/09/08 09:09AM
    Re: Reid and Luke..........Some Thoughts.........
    Tigress1761

Don't feel bad about watching it over and over again, I watched it twice, and finally got caught up on burning my eppys to DVD. By the time the hubby got home from work, I had a massive headache from crying so much and my eyes were swollen almost shut. I agree this was some really great acting on the parts of Eric and Van, and even Terri. I am sad this show is ending, but I thank the writers for making it something I will never forget.

I lost my mother about four months ago. I wasnt there when it happened, but I saw her a week before, and she could barely talk then. Eric did a wonderful job. I hope another soap picks him up, or any show for that matter, he is THAT good!

#3   2010/09/08 10:11AM
    nonniepat

Quote Tigress1761: Don't feel bad about watching it over and over again, I watched it twice, and finally got caught up on burning my eppys to DVD. By the time the hubby got home from work, I had a massive headache from crying so much and my eyes were swollen almost shut. I agree this was some really great acting on the parts of Eric and Van, and even Terri. I am sad this show is ending, but I thank the writers for making it something I will never forget.

I lost my mother about four months ago. I wasnt there when it happened, but I saw her a week before, and she could barely talk then. Eric did a wonderful job. I hope another soap picks him up, or any show for that matter, he is THAT good!

Thank you. You all are so nice to me and have been since I began writing on the boards.

I am just obsessed with this story line I know and the whole show and knowing that it's fast coming to a close is adding to this obsession for me. My family thinks I'm nuts because of it but I can't help it. I love all the characters of ATWT and Luke in particular is my all time favorite. As I've been trying to explain to my kids the whole story line of Luke/Reid and even Noah is about Luke ultimately and the relationships in his life. Now I think they are starting to see that as Reid died they are now realizing that Luke is left alone and will have to deal with his loss somehow.

I'll be dubbing again to my dvd's after the show ends. I don't want to mess up the system I have going and cause a taping problem.

Thank you again for your words of encouragement and I'm sorry to hear about your mother. Losing a mother may be one of the hardest losses to go through, at least it was for me.

#4   2010/09/08 11:06AM
    Barb G

Quote nonniepat: There is probably another thread like this and if so I apologize but then again maybe not.

I realize that Reid and Luke are fictional characters but the way Eric and Van played them yesterday OMG I felt like I was seeing death for real; Reid dying for real. Thank God Eric himself is alright in reality.

I've experienced death in real life more than once. I was merely 13 when my father died and no I didn't see him die. I lost my beloved grandmother in my twenties and she went just too fast for me to get to her. My favorite Aunt was in another state when she died and my beloved mother, 6 years ago, passed and though I was with her at the moment she died I was not. My dad died quietly in the hospital without anyone there; my mother had just left and hardly in the front door when the call came in. But those with my grandmother, aunt and my siblings who were with my mother at the point of death have told me about what happened.

Yesterday I felt like I was watching death for real. Eric Stevens is such an awesome actor that he had me thinking he really was dying. And Luke, my god, the devastation in his eyes was unmistakeable.

Please don't think I'm too strange for this but as I watched (4 times last night) from the moment Luke realized Reid was the one on the gurney to the moment of the kiss and the heart monitor going off as he died I thought he really was dying.

I've heard it so many times in my life that most people can't talk close to the end and that many people know they are going to die or are dying. Granted Reid Oliver is a doctor so that's one reason but when he reached out forcefully to Luke stopping him and telling him he needed a lawyer not a doctor I just lost it. The difficulty speaking so realistic from those I've talked to that have seen someone die that it spooked me. Eric made it look so real. And his eyes! His eyes were at one time trying so hard to communicate and then as Tom and Luke argued over him his eyes became so still and blank (he didn't even blink) I thought he'd gone then. I swear I saw his lips moving a number of times and before he was able to say card I swear he said something like don't cry to Luke and tried first to say his name. And when Luke was talking to him with Tom in the room and he was nodding his head I swear his lips were moving then to or trying to. And OMG, he went so fast. Too fast. I wouldn't want him to suffer, fictional character or not, but there was no time he went way too fast.

Was I seeing things that just weren't there or did anyone else feel like it was so realistic?

And Van, OMG, he better get the Emmy for this one. The emotion that young man can display is incredible. And at the end when he walked back into the now empty ER room the haunting look in his eyes was heart wrenching. I kept saying over and over again to anyone that would listen that he was not alright and though I expected him to be broken apart when Reid died I was not expecting him to be so broken apart he looked lifeless himself. His eyes said it all, IMHO, he looked like the life spirit just went out of him.

Again I realize that I may be seeing things others didn't or what was not there but those scenes yesterday were beyond powerful. Both Eric and Van deserve the Emmy for their performances. Even Katie surpised me, she was so broken up and so shocked when Luke told her that she and Jacob gave Reid the only home he'd ever known and Reid loved her and Jacob too and considered them his family.

I know I could probably go through every second of each scene but I won't torture you; thank you for reading and please don't think I'm too strange or anything. But that show yesterday really affected me. I felt like I lost someone in my own life or something and I felt like I was going to get sick. I figured I'd be in tears, and I was but I was left feeling empty inside. Not empty for lack of a good show; the show was wonderful and great but empty like numb.

I hope this makes sense and I'm sorry for such a long post but thank you for reading and I hope no one is too critical of my emotional statement here. You've all been so nice to me even when we see things differently I appreciate your kindness and will miss all of you and our talk tremendously.

I feel exactly like you do...you said it all so very eloquently. I too also thought Reid was dying in "real life", it was that believable.

And Luke's eyes...OMG...there was such a range of emotions in those beautiful eyes that started with the recognition that Reid was being wheeled past him! They showed the shock of what was happening, the disbelief that Reid was dying, the anger when told by the Nurse to not agitate Reid, the fear and terror over losing him, the love with the last kiss and then the total blank stare like he had died along with Reid!!!

And my heart broke because no one was there for him!!! No one to support him or comfort him except for Katie! Him being all alone tore my heart out!!! Not one of those selfish people thought of calling his Mom, Dad or Grandma??? But there sat Tom saying that Reid had done such an unselfish act and that they should all learn from him to care for others more and be less concerned about themselves!!! Too bad Tom didn't start living by those words right then and there!

They just kept pushing Luke to say good-bye to Reid, to sign the power of attorney so that Chris could get his heart! Was it just me, or did John and Bob seem cold, harsh and impatient with Luke? Even before they found out that Reid wanted his heart to go to Chris. It was like he was just a nuisance in the room that should just be quiet and go away! That coldness really stunned me!!! They were being heartless towards Luke and his shock at losing the love of his life...Reid.

And yes, Reid went much too soon! Talk about being rushed!!! They have been running through storylines at a feverish pace lately, like they didn't realize that the show was ending next Friday!!! They've had over a year to prepare for the end of the show. They just weren't very prepared in my opinion!!!

Yes, it was hard for Reid to speak, but Luke should have been given more time to say good-bye...to talk to him...to tell him just how much he loved him.

But the crueliest deed the writers did was to have Reid die while Luke was kissing him good-bye!!! At least they should have let that last kiss happen while Reid was alive and responsive and have Reid look into Luke's eyes one last time before he died. The one scene that shouldn't have been hurried through, that should have lingered just a little while, was portrayed like "okay, Luke kissed him so he can die now"!!! That's how I felt watching it...way too rushed... That should have been the one scene that will always be in the viewers minds as a tragic end with a beautiful good-bye between two beautiful people.........

#5   2010/09/08 11:14AM
    Dewlanna

nonniepat, I thank you for your thoughts and insight. I haven't watched Tuesday's show yet and frankly I'm not sure if I want to. I want to be there for the characters (does that sound stupid?) but I am a cryer. And this...I can't even imagine what it's going to do to me.

I have been Luke and Reid's biggest fan since the beginning and am pretty devastated that things are going down like this. Having trouble accepting it. Like a real loss, I suppose...

#6   2010/09/08 11:35AM
    Tigress1761

I think the loss of my mother is part of why this is so hard to watch for me; that, and the fact my youngest son looks so much like Van Hansis. And on top of that, he is gay too. This whole storyline is hitting home for me in so many ways. The fact its such a beautiful love story is what keeps my emotions running so high. We are all sharing a great loss here, even though as it was said, its all fictional.

#7   2010/09/08 11:43AM
    Dewlanna

I was in the room when my very much beloved grandmother passed away. It is truly hard.

She got me started watching soaps when I was little, so they make me feel close to her. I think I mourned the loss of ATWT when I mourned Nancy. But Reid - I am NOT looking forward to ATWT ripping my heart out (em, along with Reid's I guess) right here at the end.

page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list