List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

As the World Turns - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: As the World Turns Forum :: As the World Ends

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

As the World Ends

Started by Michelle57 at 2010/09/05 07:21PM
    Latest post: 2010/09/08 09:25PM, Views: 2112, Replies: 14
    1 2 » »| page:
    #1   2010/09/05 07:21PM
    As the World Ends
    Michelle57

:)) I think the writers are doing a great job...remember folks its a soap. They are trying to tie up the story lines. I love the character of Reid but last created character so first one to go. It makes sense to kill him off...this ties up Noah and Luke back together and Chris gets saved. What great writing and story telling...it makes watching this finally days intense for the fans. I will be bawling my eyes out for Reid and Luke. I remember watching this show with my mother when I was a child. Over the years I got really involved in the young and the restless and one day I started watching atwts and was hooked. I like how the writers had the ability to have several different stories going on at once and they didn't drag it out like the other soaps. They had so many stories going on so as one was coming to an end there was always one in the wing...waiting to be told. I too would rather see B&B or YR go before atwts. I won't be watching what takes the replacement of this great program called the "As the World Turns".

#2   2010/09/06 08:21PM
    Re: As the World Ends
    Tigress1761

Thank you!!!

This is basically what I had planned on posting, but with a little bit of a twist....

I, too, was really upset with how this was written. I didn't understand why they would kill off a character that everyone loved, and maybe hated too.

I took a trip over Labor day weekend with my husband. We drove to MPLS/St.Paul for the State Fair. When I drive, I like to do my thinking. I saw on the way there, on the side of the highway was a sign: Bay City. I remembered the last scene on Friday's show, the stop-action frame of Reid's face, terrified of what was about to happen to him. Then, I realized what the writers were doing.

Last year, when GL was taken off the air, one scene has stuck with me and I will never, ever forget: The scene with Alan Spaulding sitting on that park bench, and Philip comes up to talk to him. But Alan has gone on to the next level of being. I cried my eyes out. Even though I really didn't care much for Alan and how he was so devilish, in that moment, I cared.

So, as I pass this sign that says 'Bay City', I too, with this show, always remember and never, ever forget Dr. Reid Oliver and his love affair with Luke Snyder. The last kiss, the inventive banter between the two, and with others is what made Dr. Oliver so special and loveable. The fact that we DO love this character is why we are so angry about his demise. I wish things were written differently. If only one of the characters I cannot stand or just don't care all that much about would have been hit by a train, fell off a roof, was accidentally shot by Jack, Margo, or even Craig or Paul, it would FEEL better, wouldn't it? But this is a soap opera, and to garner the rivers of tears that will overflow tomorrow, is just what the term 'soap opera' stands for.

I will miss Reid, but I think in the long run, its the show itself that I will miss the most. Every single character on this show has a purpose. Who we really need to be angry with is Proctor and Gamble, and CBS, who could not come up with a way to save this show. Proctor wouldn't sell to CBS, and in turn, CBS pulled the plug. These are the real criminals, not the writers. They did us a service, by writing the most creative ending it could in the time they were given.

#3   2010/09/07 04:32AM
    Keeping It R...

Although I have not liked much that the writers have done in the last year (which is more than enough time to end all of the storylines creatively and with class) I will give them credit for creating the character of Dr Reid Oliver and taking him from an insufferable prick, to someone that I for one fell in love with. I agree that if we had not cared about him so much, his death would not have had the impact it did. I do not agree that Reid was the last character added to the show. They could have killed Blackie for the heart or even Gabrielle, but those are characters that I guess no one would of cared if they were gone. A more creative and moving solution would have been to have used Nancy's heart to save her grandson's and husband's name sake's life. That would have been a real tear jerker and fitting tribute to Nancy's character (who had to die anyway).

Ultimately, I see Reid's death right after he and Luke finally declared their love to each other and before they ever had sex as the writer's way of saying or giving in to the belief that gay couples are not worthy of a happy, healthy love and sex life. Personally the whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth, which is unfortunate since I have been a fan for so many years (since before Katie or Chris were even concieved). The show had already been cancelled so the writers could have done something really ground breaking like letting Luke and Reid get married. That would have been awesome!!!! But killing off half of the most exciting and hot couple on the show, just reeked to me of prejudice and I think it is very sad that this was done as all of the straight character head to their happy ever after with spouses they have already divorced three or four times in the past. Why should we believe they will stay together this time since they never could before.

It would have been a much more optimistic ending to have a strong couple, Luke and Reid, who has never been married and divorced before get married with the hope and belief they would beat the odds and make it last. For the record I am straight. I am just a romantic who thinks real love trumps sexual orientation every time.

#4   2010/09/07 05:10AM
    Michelle57

why do you have to make it a gay thing. How about looking at it as life is way to short and when you find that special person in your life "gay or straight" savior every moment as it could be your last. You can also look at it as they gave the gay couple one of the most memorable exit scenes in the history of the soap opera world. We all love the character of Dr. Oliver Reid and his last scene is going to the hearts of all the fans of As the World Turns. And just think that is what Reid is going to do in the end give up his heart to save another..he is going to die a hero. I'm so sad this show is comimg to an end and if it was to stay on they never would have killed off Reid...but technically everyone dies September 17th even the fans .

#5   2010/09/07 05:21AM
    Michelle57

The best thing the fans can do for this show is not to watch the program that replaces Atwts...in the end we have the power to say you made a huge mistake by taking this show off the air. I intend to not watch anything on this channel.

#6   2010/09/07 08:53AM
    Tigress1761

Quote Keeping It Real Too:It would have been a much more optimistic ending to have a strong couple, Luke and Reid, who has never been married and divorced before get married with the hope and belief they would beat the odds and make it last. For the record I am straight. I am just a romantic who thinks real love trumps sexual orientation every time.

Optimistic or cookie cutter and safe? Like I said in my post, I remember the Alan Spaulding scene. You know what? That's ALL I remember about that last week too. The rest was as I called it, cookie cutter and safe. I'm glad the writers chose this path. They did something GL didn't bother to do: Make a statement to the world that they wont go away quietly, that this will be talked about for a very long time to come. Five yrs from now, they will say something about the Luke and Reid romance, and how it ended so tragically. I also think after this week, more Emmy noms and wins will happen for the 2011 show, and Kathryn Hays, Van Hansis, and maybe even Eric Sheffer Stevens will WIN some awards. To me, slapping CBS in the face by garnering those awards make me feel so much better about its cancellation.

And no, I don't think its a gay thing either. Its just a love story, plain and simple.

KeepingItReal, your alternate ending was nice, but I want to remember this show. That one I wouldn't. Sorry.

#7   2010/09/07 09:06AM
    Tigress1761

Would everyone be so upset if it had been a heterosexual relationship that was terribly torn apart? Would you call it a heterosexual relationship in the first place?

#8   2010/09/07 09:30AM
    nonniepat

I don't see it as a "gay or straight" issue either.

To me it's a Great Love Story being told and I totally agree that Reid is the HERO here. Did he ask to be hit by a train? No of course not. Who wants to die. Reid was doing what he did best, as he told Luke, he was fighting for one of his patients. And though Chris was not actually his patient Reid was involved in his medical crisis from the moment he found him drawing his own blood. Reid has fought Chris and fought for Chris at every turn to tell his family and Katie and finally Reid did the only thing he could in calling in Dr. Dixon as the cardiaologist.

I hate that they are killing off Reid and I too agree that he would not be dying if ATWT was not going off the air but now I can think of my favorite character Luke spending the rest of his life thinking about the man who came into his life (to give his ex-boyfried his sight back) and turned his world upside down. Luke being young will probably not mourn his love forever but then again he might, that's part of the mystery of life IMHO and I for one now have a new wish and hope for Luke that he will forever remember this scruffy doctor who showed him that he was worth loving for himself. I hope Luke realizes that Reid never tried to change him, never told him what to do but loved him for the man he was and saw in Luke someone that Reid wanted in his life for the rest of his life and Luke was that and more to Reid.

I was so glad that Reid was able to say the words of love that we've all seen in his eyes and actions and expressions from the moment that he started to see the real Luke and as he told Noah he wished he was the blind one so that he wouldn't have to see Noah or anyone treat Luke like dirt. That is one powerful love Reid has for Luke. I hope that as Luke goes off into soapopera heaven with his family and the town of Oakdale that Luke will learn to not settle for second best but wait for the one who loves him for himself.

Yes, it's killing me that Reid is dying today and that within a few days the one show I've loved and watched with the greatest of affections no matter the storylines will no longer be able to be seen except in my recorded memories and in my dreams.

No, I won't watch whatever replaces As The World Turns either. Nothing can ever replace it in my eyes.

#9   2010/09/07 10:11AM
    calliope

Have you all seen the episode that Reid dies on already?

#10   2010/09/07 10:57AM
    Tigress1761

the episode airs today

1 2 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list