All My Children - NEWS ROOM

In our 'All My Children' News Room, Soaps.com keeps you up-to-date with the latest Soap Opera news on the net. We also feature interviews with the soap stars, as well as local appearances by the actors and actresses.

Fans react to AMC's recast of Babe

Tuesday, October 16 2007

Amanda Baker has taken over the role of Babe. (Soaps.com)
    We first heard the rumors that Alexa Havins would be leaving All My Children at the beginning of the year. Then in September, the news was made official. We learned that a new Babe would be arriving in Pine Valley and fan-favorite Alexa Havins would be moving on. You can read about that here.

The "nuBabe" landed in Pine Valley just over a week ago and so far fan reactions have been mixed.

Much of the distress of fans seems to be the way the change-over happened. In Alexa's last scene Babe hugged Krystal, played by Bobbie Eakes, and when she pulled away from the hug, Amanda Baker was in the role of Babe. That startling transition was very new for soap fans who are used to recast actors simply being introduced by a voice-over.

Here is what a few fans have had to say.

Fans miss Alexa Havins' as "Babe". (Soaps.com)
    Willlldcat80 said, "I want to like new-Babe, but I just don't. I don't think it's her fault but Alexis created Babe, she is Babe, and putting her immediately into a crap storyline with Wes/Richie makes it even worse."

Jooo said, "Sad to see her (Alexa) go, Iam going to try to give the nuBabe a chance, but let me tell you, it will b hard."

Mrfraser said, "All I can say is that when I look at her I see Joline, the killer on Night Shift (Amanda Baker's last role), sorry. But she is going to have to grow, grow, grow on me before she is the new BABE."

Some fans are in favor of giving Amanda a little room to grow as Babe.

PineValleyBreeze1 said, "Let us all give her a fair chance. I don't like the way they brought this actress onto the show, and I'm pretty sure SHE didn't either. They should have had Babe leave town for awhile and THEN bring in the new actress. But here we are....NEW Babe!"

BrianLovesSoaps said, "I am a HUGE Babe fan and I just know this recast is gonna take awhile for me to digest."

Soaps.com has gotten several emails from fans asking what happened to Alexa. She and real-life husband Justin Bruening, ex-Jamie, have moved to the Los Angeles area and are pursuing their careers there.

Alexa is set to appear in two movies in 2008. The film 27 Dresses is in post-production; the film stars Katherine Heigl of "Grey's Anatomy" fame. Alexa will play a bride. The second movie, Old Dogs, is currently filming.

We wish Alexa the best of luck with her career. She will be missed! At the same time, we welcome newcomer Amanda Baker to Pine Valley and hope she is around for a long time to come. The change in actresses for the part will likely change the character quite a bit and we're looking forward to seeing more and different sides of Babe in the coming months.

Posted by vld430 at Tuesday, October 16 2007 12:56 PM

I must say I thought the way the introduced Amanda was very ingenious. It is a different approach. I think Amanda will be good in the role as Babe. I will also say that I hated to see Alexa go but at least her character got to stay. I know it's soap land but I think it is sometimes better to give character some longevity. JMA

Posted by perla at Tuesday, October 16 2007 01:05 PM

I didn't think I would like how they introduced nubabe but it was pretty good. I also love Alexa but I think the nubabe is doing as well as any recast can do at the beginning and I actually think this is one of the best recasts I have seen in a while. It just takes time to get used to.

Posted by owiseone at Tuesday, October 16 2007 04:08 PM

I agree with you vld430. I thought it was pretty cool the way that they introduced the nuBabe. While I do not think that it would work for just any character, I do believe that this way was very ingenious. It also showed a way for Krystal to say good-bye onscreen to her "old daughter" and then welcome to her "new daughter" at the same time. I liked that and that is what I took from it. I wouldn't want to walk into the part of a well loved character without a little love. Must be scary to fill shoes such as Alexa's.
    Also give the nuBabe a chance. Other character replacements take some getting used to, and this one will too. Once she gets her bearings on the history of Babe, she will make Babe her own. And yes I do also miss Alexa and wish her well. I hope to see her on the big screen some day, maybe in the same caliber of those other blondes that are really famous.

Posted by JennSmith at Wednesday, October 17 2007 08:26 AM

I like the new Babe in the scenes with Ritchie. I guess because it seams all new. I don't really no if i like her when she is playing in the scenes with Krystal Just because Alexa and Krystal had this thing between them that i don't think anyone can copy.

Posted by golfnut at Friday, October 26 2007 09:59 AM

I am so sorry, But the new babe just doesn't do it for me, I just read that Amanda is playing the roll full time. I first thought she was just a stand in...what a shock! Maybe Amanda will grow on me and I wish her luck. They say change is good, But this time , I don't think so.

Posted by Karim at Saturday, October 27 2007 08:06 AM

I do miss Alexa Havins, although I am very happy for her to blossum her career. I don't care for the new Babe, she's just not the right fit for the role. Its like she doesn't know how to act in the scene. I hope the show writers see she's just not the right fit.

Posted by 7kitties at Friday, November 16 2007 12:36 PM

Amanda will do a great job. She is a beautiful, sweet looking woman who will bring her own flare to AMC. Taking over someone's role is extremely difficult. I think she is doing a great job!

Posted by AyngileIze at Tuesday, November 20 2007 01:04 PM

NuBabe looks old enough to be Crystal's sister not her daughter. It isn't a good fit. Although I will miss the REAL Babe, I hope they find a better actress for this role. Amanda is just not believable as Babe.